Registration/VIN in Texas

Chris Kennedy


I am in Houston, Texas, and a new Superformance GT40 MKII I have coming should be ready for the road in several months. Right now I am in the process of putting together my notes on how to register and insure the car into an outline, of sorts, so I don't mess it up. Something I have been unable to pin down is exactly how the car gets a VIN (which is necessary for insurance and registration, of course). I have had Superformance send me a sample MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin), and think I have to present this together with another Texas form (VTR-68-A), but am not sure. Does anyone who has registered a new GT 40 in Texas have any insights on how you get a VIN?

Many thanks!
/s/ Chris Kennedy
look here:

From the "Assembled vehicle" link in the above:

New Replica
A new replica is a new vehicle built as a replica of a previous year, make and, model of a
When a replica of a previous year, make, and model of vehicle is built as a new vehicle by
a motor vehicle manufacturer, the application for Texas title should record the make, year
model, body style, and VIN as shown on the MCO. The brand “Replica” should be shown
in the remarks field of the title. A Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin is required as
evidence of ownership
Last edited:

Tim Terry

I went through this just over a year ago. Consider going the route of "Custom Vehicle" in TX. It's a ONE TIME inspection (different type of inspection - ASE Certified Master Technician). You also get to choose your own plate for an additional $40 per year. That's much cheaper than the plates. Here the link: TxDMV.GOV - 004-12 "Custom Vehicle" and "Street Rod" Program

Let me know if you have questions.

Chris Kennedy

This should be helpful. You present them with SPF's MSO and their identification number will become your vin.

Yes---I found the Manual last week searching the DMV website, downloaded it and wrote myself up an outline summary. I came to the same conclusion you did!


/s/ Chris