Regular inspections

I think this discussion deserves a thread of its own. There was a mention in another thread of people dismantling their cars as part of a regular safety inspection - taking then 3 to 7 days to perform the entire task.

Now, as I see it, there is "dismantle" and then there's "DISMANTLE"
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
but, what I'd really like to know is, how far would one go before they were happy that all was well. Is it a seat-of-the pants thing, or is there a science to it? I can't imagine that I would ever be TOTALLY satisfied with anything that took less than 6 months ... but that’s just not a realistic option for me.

For my peace of mind, when it comes to my older cars, its usually a visual inspection of all the critical safety bits, a re-tensioning of loose nuts and then a keen ear and feel while I'm driving - and maybe the occasional crack-test of some suspension components.

Hi Chris
This is a very complex issue. If you start with a total restoration or new build,use your car,don't put it away wet, and store it properly in a heated and dehumidified space it can run for a long time with simple maintenance and inspection. If it is 37 years old,like my MK-IV, it needs a total teardown and inspection once every few years in addition to the above. This can take six months or more. If you keep these cars maintained, oily and painted to prevent corrosion they can last longer that you can. That's one reason to have children, the good things go on for a long time,if you're lucky they can take YOU for a ride...

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

Back