Remote engine oil filter location on RCR with Coyote 5.0lt

For optimum cooling performance you want the inlet/outlet on the side, not top/bottom. Warm oil in from the bottom, cold oil out from the top of the cooler for ideal performance

Hi Howard, some good points. I guess people put the biggest hose and fittings and hope for the best! Again the best option with heaps of room and money is a dry sump. Unfortunately I am compromised a bit in both those areas.

Also a good point on the filter. I read about this and stuck with the Ford racing filter (CM-6731-FL820), probably Motorcraft. Using this filter may also come with some advice on better ones but as it came with the engine I ordered a stack more (cannot get it easily in Australia) and stuck with it.

CM-6731-FL820
Synthetic-Polymer/Cellulose-Fiber blend media
Heavy-gauge base and canister for higher burst strength and impulse fatigue Resistance
High-quality silicone anti-drain back valve
Non-stick sealing gasket for ease of installation and removal
Long life with standard and synthetic motor oils
Up to 50% more filtering capacity than standard filters
Improved filtering efficiency

i wouldn't sweat the small lines too much, i had a cobra with -10 lines, probably total 10-12 feet through oil cooler and filter and the engine lived. i changed to shorter routing and -12 and removed the cooler and picked up pressure. long as you don't use the hard 90's you should be fine, but i wouldn't use a thick oil.

Howard

of course one have to pay attention to every restriction. From an engineering stand point those resistances created by restrictions add up. So one restriction is not good , two are defenitely worse and so on.

The Setrab coolers have a 22mm inlet in which you screw in the adapter to AN 12
I modified this adapters before installation and opened them up to a max possible size of around 17mm, which matches the ID of an AN12 hose.
Same on the Oilfilter adapter, there are adapter available with AN 12 sized holes all the way.
Also on Fittings
There has been a comparisson between differend brand AN Fittings in the Hot Rod issue 09/12. They compared Sizes, Price and Quality ( no idea how they did this).
They did it on AN6 size. It was interesting to see that the ID of different brand AN 6 sized fittings differ from 0.220" ( redhorse, sniper) over 0.230" (Aeroquip) up to 0.265 ( earls, Fragola, summit)

TOM

Back