Replace alloy uprights

Hi,

I have purchased alloy uprights from Tornado (as picture below) but due to Swedish authorities (called SFRO) I want to be prepared to replace them with with steel one (if possible).

Do you know if these have the same geometry as Ford Granada Mk2 and if joints are the same?

Hi look with Rally design in kent uk ,i think they could help you out with spindles and uprights if you in to the « kit car « catalogue. they seem to have them... otherwise try southern gt who i believe made steel upright for also a swedish. customer...
good luck
Paul

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, the aluminium uprights from Southern GT is the only accepted aluminium uprights by SFRO in Sweeden as far as I know. Their geometry is working good as upgrades to KVA, MDA, GTD. I'm unsure of how they would fit Tornado, but just email Mick at Southern GT for advise, as he makes updated suspension arms for several GT40 makes, yours included.

If you cannot find Granada front uprights, I might have a set laying around in my spares boxes... Good luck... let me know if you want me to dig them out...

Morten

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I had a set from Rally Design, donated to a better use, but they were for Cortina stub axle, possibly same tapered ball joints as Granada... Ask Mick SGT, he inherited them from me:)

Hi Joacim,
I’ve checked my original TS40 build manual and it states that the kit originally used MK2 Ford Granada up-rights & brakes. I doubt that the design of the wishbones has changes to the new uprights, as the alloy up-rights were originally sold as an option
I would also be looking to swop out the steering arms show in the picture, as there have been documented failures of these fabricated steering arms
Regards,
Andy

Hi Joacim,
I’ve checked my original TS40 build manual and it states that the kit originally used MK2 Ford Granada up-rights & brakes. I doubt that the design of the wishbones has changes to the new uprights, as the alloy up-rights were originally sold as an option
I would also be looking to swop out the steering arms show in the picture, as there have been documented failures of these fabricated steering arms
Regards,
Andy

Yes, I saw this page https://www.tornadosportscars.com/NewItems/newitems3.html and it seems "bolt on"

Funny how you get a better and more correct answer on this forum, than from the kit manufacturer
Need I say more.....
Regards,
Andy

Does anyone know of any mk3 Granada uprights available or a subtitle cost effective alternative (do rally design do a set?)
I’m running an sgt chassis

Mike Pass

Supporter
As far as I can remember the Tornado alloy front uprights were originally produced by Rally Design. Rally Design stopped selling the Granada ones at about the time when Tornado started offering them but they still do the Cortina ones.
The Ford Granada Mk3 upright has a socket at the top for a McPherson strut. It does not have a tapered hole for a swivel joint. it can be adapted using a "mushroom" which is an aluminium piece which can be clamped where the McPherson strut/damper normally goes and which has a the usual tapered hole for the usual swivel joint to be bolted in. This has been done before but it needs new wishbones. it has better geometry than the Mk2 upright as it has better kpi than the Mk2 which has a very low kpi and poor Ackerman. I think SGT used to sell the mushrooms and I think I have a pair somewhere.
Cheers
Mike

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, it's many of the mk3 uprights for sale on ebay.uk. just search "granada hubs"

If they don't ship to Sweden, ship to me and I'll forward to you if needed.

Possibly this could be a solution. I've given away all my mk3 uprights.

Rally Design ally uprights are too weak, and will never pass SFRO inspection.

I also have mine away, as not fit for purpose.

Good luck Joacim

Morten

Hi Spec in the uk do an alloy upright the same config as the Sierra, which im told are the same as granada
kaspa

Mike Pass

Supporter
If I remember correctly there are two sizes of strut mountings on the Granada Mk3 type uprights. The alloy mushrooms I have (see pic) are the smaller size and are 45.4mm diameter. I think the larger size used on the Sierra and Granada Cosworth are more like 50mm. I seem to remember that the sizes on the 2wd and 4wd Sierra Cosworth use the two different diameters.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20200615_100753757.jpg
    IMG_20200615_100753757.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20200615_100735466.jpg
    IMG_20200615_100735466.jpg
    934.4 KB · Views: 271

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hello again:)

Anyways.., for ally uprights.

SFRO only accepts the Southern GT alloy uprights front and rear in Sweden, as SGT has gone through the long process of the manufacturing of these uprights with SFRO officials, ally compound, strength analysis, KPI etc within Swedish regulations, polybush suspension arms with KPI angle for Sweden, all within Swedish regulations, all working closely with SFRO.

Rodends are a problem to get through with SFRO (Swedish automotive board)

Also, there is no bumpsteer from SGT front suspension setup. I’ve seen all gauges on the suspension travel for both UK ally uprights/suspension and the Swedish Ally upright/polybush suspension. No bumpsteer, and KPI is with in the Swedish regulations.

Just my two pennies worth:)

Best of luck

Hi, it's many of the mk3 uprights for sale on ebay.uk. just search "granada hubs"

If they don't ship to Sweden, ship to me and I'll forward to you if needed.

Possibly this could be a solution. I've given away all my mk3 uprights.

Rally Design ally uprights are too weak, and will never pass SFRO inspection.

I also have mine away, as not fit for purpose.

Good luck Joacim

Morten
Thanks @Morten A. Larsen but this thread was lifted by @Phil H ;)
I replaced the Tornado alloy ones with Granada Mk2 and thanks to you for the Ebay link :D
1592235703526.png

Hello again:)

Anyways.., for ally uprights.

SFRO only accepts the Southern GT alloy uprights front and rear in Sweden, as SGT has gone through the long process of the manufacturing of these uprights with SFRO officials, ally compound, strength analysis, KPI etc within Swedish regulations, polybush suspension arms with KPI angle for Sweden, all within Swedish regulations, all working closely with SFRO.

Rodends are a problem to get through with SFRO (Swedish automotive board)

Also, there is no bumpsteer from SGT front suspension setup. I’ve seen all gauges on the suspension travel for both UK ally uprights/suspension and the Swedish Ally upright/polybush suspension. No bumpsteer, and KPI is with in the Swedish regulations.

Just my two pennies worth:)

Best of luck

I would say that this is not completely true - that SFRO only accept SGT uprights. It is more factors than uprights that they consider, the same is for Super Seven where Taunus/Cortina is a popular upright but not the ideal geometry. I and many other had that upright and the overall judgement from my Westfield was "Very good and easy to handle" (or similar to that) No issues at all. I however compensated a little by larger wheels and adjusted ET.

As far as I can remember the Tornado alloy front uprights were originally produced by Rally Design. Rally Design stopped selling the Granada ones at about the time when Tornado started offering them but they still do the Cortina ones.
The Ford Granada Mk3 upright has a socket at the top for a McPherson strut. It does not have a tapered hole for a swivel joint. it can be adapted using a "mushroom" which is an aluminium piece which can be clamped where the McPherson strut/damper normally goes and which has a the usual tapered hole for the usual swivel joint to be bolted in. This has been done before but it needs new wishbones. it has better geometry than the Mk2 upright as it has better kpi than the Mk2 which has a very low kpi and poor Ackerman. I think SGT used to sell the mushrooms and I think I have a pair somewhere.
Cheers
Mike

There was (is?) a make called Raceleda which looks very similar to the ones Tornado supplies. Are they "sisters"?
I saw a set of these on our Swedish forum (Cortina/Taunus) https://forum.locostsweden.se/index.php?/topic/15365-raceleda-spindlar/

Back