Restarting my SLC project in West Texas

Not to hijack but we had a refrigerator in our garage that would freeze up. As it turns out, the service guy added a small heating element to the coils and it works fabulously now. I wonder if something like that could be added to yours?

You should be able to accomplish the same thing by adjusting the heater valve (or adding a small bypass) to never be all the way off, always leave a little hot water flowing through the coils.

Neil

Supporter
Evaporator coil freeze-up is a problem in high humidity environments. An evaporator cools the air below its dew point and if the evaporator temperature is below 32F (0C) then the condensed water freezes into ice, blocking the air flow. If you can keep the evaporator temperature slightly above freezing, it won't happen. Turning the blower on HI speed when you switch on the AC may keep the evaporator temperature from dropping too far to freeze.

Evaporator coil freeze-up is a problem in high humidity environments. An evaporator cools the air below its dew point and if the evaporator temperature is below 32F (0C) then the condensed water freezes into ice, blocking the air flow. If you can keep the evaporator temperature slightly above freezing, it won't happen. Turning the blower on HI speed when you switch on the AC may keep the evaporator temperature from dropping too far to freeze.

I did notice when I was doing my initial charge a few weeks ago that if the blower was set on a very low speed (it's a VFD) the air temp would drop down to around 26 degrees. If I turned the blower up towards medium it would raise up to about 39 degrees.

I wouldn’t sweat that blockage, it’s very rare that I move my blower past the low setting. It’s getting plenty of airflow and isn’t stalling out the fan. Texas heat may be a little different but this was true even when ambient temps were in the 90s. Seal your cabin really well and get as much heat blocker in there as you can and I think you’ll be good.
Yes I looked at the issue over and over and I think I am done with it. Changing the tubes one more time is just not worth it . Fingers crossed. I still don't like the way it looks though :)

Good to know. Not too many benefits in being good in the West Texas desert, low humidity is one of them.

Christmas in June. I got all my a/c and heater hose connectors, my Oetiker clamp set, silicon heater hose, and I think I am done messing with those pesky copper heater tubes, I also got my aluminum surge tank and plastic catch can. Will install the a/c compressor with my brand new dirty dingo bracket. I decided to go through the footbox with the #8 a/c hose coming from the compressor . And I think as long as I secure the heater hoses the heater bypass valve should be fine, I could secure it with hose clamps but I don't think that is necessary.

Figuring out what parts are needed, coming up with the plan is the painful part for me . I enjoy putting it all together .

So I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel with this heater-a/c stuff, I did mentally prepare for the fact that this was not going to be fun or easy, but I have to say the electrical part and infinity box is what scares me the most.

IMG_4396.jpeg
IMG_4397.jpeg
IMG_4398.jpeg
IMG_4399.jpeg

Thank you all for your feedback and ideas. Helps a ton, and a big thank you to Frank for loaning me the cramping tool for the a/c lines.

Joel K

Supporter
Dumb question. Why do all my pictures get rotated 90 degrees when I load them to the blog?

Looking forward to seeing the AC line install Hector.

With regard to uploading pictures, mine do that some times. If they do, on the device you are using to post, go into the picture and edit, then rotate it once and save, then edit it again and rotate it to the orientation you want to view it as and save it again. Then upload it. Even though it may look the same, something happends when you rotate and save the changes that fixes the problem.

Last edited:
Finshed e stopp installation, Installed the bracket one inch below the recommended place, which makes the caliper off center but maximizes contact between the pads and the rotor, the recommended position while is cosmetically ideal yields least 20-30 % less contact between pads and rotor. We will see my final results, the system works great . Won't know for a while whether can hold the car or not. I give it 60% chance . Being optimistic, My 15 year old is now a drill and tap master. He also installed the a/c compressor, had to help him move one of the press fit adopters, were too wide for the upper bracket, were able to do it with a C-clamp and a socket.

I think officially I am done messing with the a/c heater unit, brackets installed, I just need to trim them if needed and figure out final placement, then install the tanks , and start to figure out hose routing.

So my i phone battery decided get gassy and expand, I guess next step is to explode, not about to find out, got a new phone today. Scary.

Looks good! Put a breaker bar across your studs and try to turn your hubs while the parking brake is on. If you can budge it there definitely won’t be enough clamping force. Good luck!

Looks good! Put a breaker bar across your studs and try to turn your hubs while the parking brake is on. If you can budge it there definitely won’t be enough clamping force. Good luck!
I will try that. I did flip the heater core , much easier to work on the left side away from the wall, I think I will install the pressure and overflow tanks on the passenger side like you, my son finished the 4 way steam vent kit today, hopefully we will get a good plan for all the hoses and get them all done this weekend, we are on a mission to get this thing running, then take it easy on the bodywork, I am doing the plasti dip like you suggested.

Back