Restarting my SLC project in West Texas

Hector for critical bolts you may want to look into Nordloc washers. I’ve been wrenching for 50 years and am genuinely impressed by how effective they are. One spot that was always a sore point on the Dirt late model I was crew chief for was the header bolts. These were the only things that would keep them tight.

Hector for critical bolts you may want to look into Nordloc washers. I’ve been wrenching for 50 years and am genuinely impressed by how effective they are. One spot that was always a sore point on the Dirt late model I was crew chief for was the header bolts. These were the only things that would keep them tight.
Yes I am familiar with those, expensive but fantastic. Thanks for reminding me .

I have been working hard figuring out all the electrical connections. One of the questions I have is that people have suggested using the dakota digital GPS interface speed sensor instead of the mechanical sensor that comes with the koso unit. Any feedback from that setup? the unit available now is the GPS-50-2.

Hi guys I saw somebody hanging the spider with straps from the roof, I am thinking of doing the same thing but can't find the pictures on how to properly support it and easily drop it on and off the frame for fitting, ( I did try the search button a ton of times) such as adjusting the height of the dashboard, and so on . Thanks

Hi guys I saw somebody hanging the spider with straps from the roof, I am thinking of doing the same thing but can't find the pictures on how to properly support it and easily drop it on and off the frame for fitting, ( I did try the search button a ton of times) such as adjusting the height of the dashboard, and so on . Thanks

AJ’s build thread, post 35

AJ’s build thread, post 35
Thank you

Joel K

Supporter
Hector,

Ha e a question for you. Was wondering what the white material is between the fitting and the condenser? Is that Teflon tape? Is that standard practice for Vintage Air AC Fittings?

If so, is it the really thin stuff? I know Home Depot sells blue, red, and black where blue is the thinnest and black is much thicker.

Thanks

6A6B4014-EBF3-4A4B-A532-220EF25173F7.jpeg

Joel:
I believe is Teflon tape, came with the condenser and I did not bother to remove it. These are O ring fittings so the sealing is done with the o rings I don't think the Teflon is necessary at all . I did not use Teflon in any of the other a/c line fittings. However I used new O rings and lubricated them very well with the lube provided by vintage air (a set of rings was 3 dollars) used a ziplock bag full of oil and gave a bath to all the rings and kept them there until used, I discarded all the ones that came with the fittings. Fingers crossed. Hope I am right . Thanks for the observation though, you really do your homework well. Keep up the good work.

Joel K

Supporter
Joel:
I believe is Teflon tape, came with the condenser and I did not bother to remove it. These are O ring fittings so the sealing is done with the o rings I don't think the Teflon is necessary at all . I did not use Teflon in any of the other a/c line fittings. However I used new O rings and lubricated them very well with the lube provided by vintage air (a set of rings was 3 dollars) used a ziplock bag full of oil and gave a bath to all the rings and kept them there until used, I discarded all the ones that came with the fittings. Fingers crossed. Hope I am right . Thanks for the observation though, you really do your homework well. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Hector, I appreciate the info.

Found these great anodized aluminum knobs on some electronics website had to drill the back a little, but they work
Finally got all the a/c wiring figured out , a HUGE thanks to Dan Carter for all the diagrams, will not use the blue wires from the trinity switch and will use an invert mini, so that I can use it with the infiniti box system. Also got the master cell programmed to run both fans

Attachments

• IMG_4879.jpeg
    IMG_4879.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 343
Had to find a way to lift the spider to make more room and also to put it on and off to measure and fit the dashboard and a/c venting system .
Used a $15 harbor freight game hoist ( as in deer) with extender wires so that the lift points would be right over the corner vents for lifting without much side stresses.
Had not touched a welder in 30 years, not too bad I think!! but feel free to point otherwise .
Tested it with two 40lb dumbbells I figure the spider is about 100 lbs , so close to a 2x safety factor of sorts. Again not the prettiest, but functional .

Attachments

• IMG_4936.jpeg
    IMG_4936.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_4933.jpeg
    IMG_4933.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_4982.jpeg
    IMG_4982.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_4983.jpeg
    IMG_4983.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 378
Fabricated the lower part of closeout panels posterior to fuel tank, absolute PIA with engine in place, should have done it a long time ago, needed opening for the fuel tank filler hose, the clutch cables and the fuel lines.
anyway all done, will add a couple of layers of insulation in addition to the gold tape and the kilmat, making my own luxury liner pro with 1/8" mass loaded vinyl plus 1/4" closed cell foam. Will also use melamine foam under carpeting. Thanks to Cam for all the sound and temp insulation pearls.

Attachments

• IMG_4977.jpeg
    IMG_4977.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_4978.jpeg
    IMG_4978.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 332
Wanted to install the lower part of the motor mount brackets, come to find out they are off center and there is no way to move the engine without major modifications to the front brackets. Fran assembled the engine prior to transport. So I am going to add spacer and bolts and not the bottom brackets, it will take a hell of a jump to shear the bolts off.

Attachments

• IMG_4961.jpeg
    IMG_4961.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_4950.jpeg
    IMG_4950.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_4955.jpeg
    IMG_4955.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 346
Found new visitors coming home tonight, hope they are not around when I am finally driving my car around

Attachments

• STNQ7599.jpeg
    STNQ7599.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 417

Joel K

Supporter
Wanted to install the lower part of the motor mount brackets, come to find out they are off center and there is no way to move the engine without major modifications to the front brackets. Fran assembled the engine prior to transport. So I am going to add spacer and bolts and not the bottom brackets, it will take a hell of a jump to shear the bolts off.

Hector, my front engine mount looks like it had a similar problem. That is the mount was a good 1/8”-1/4” too narrow and there was no room for the lower brackets. I wound up fabricating my own since the LT4 engine mounts have a different geometry than the LS.

One thing you may want to do is take it out and widen the bracket a bit.

Take a look at Kurtiss’s GT-R build page twenty five, he did a nice mod on his front engine mount to change the centering of his engine.

Here is one of his pics..
2AD4AFBE-E315-4A0F-949C-DB82AEDC1959.jpeg

Last edited:
Hector, my front engine mount looks like it had a similar problem. That is the mount was a good 1/8”-1/4” too narrow and there was no room for the lower brackets. I wound up fabricating my own since the LT4 engine mounts have a different geometry than the LS.

One thing you may want to do is take it out and widen the bracket a bit.

Take a look at Kurtiss’s GT-R build page twenty five, he did a nice mod on his front engine mount to change the centering of his engine.

Here is one of his pics..
View attachment 109085
Thanks Joel, I will look into that .

have been stuck figuring out and gathering electrical components, I felt the need to accomplish some task, so I pressed the pilot bearing, very happy that it fits nice and tight, major relief.
I also followed Cams lead on the PVC oil catch can on the dirty side , found a nice set of brackets to fit over the rear support bar. Very happy how it turned out , needed to use bigger screws, rethread the can, modify the holes on the brackets and trim the rubber a bit.
I did not have the right size oetiker clamps, so worm clamps will have to do for now. Now I feel better I accomplished a task. Keep on.

Attachments

• IMG_5047.jpeg
    IMG_5047.jpeg
    506.9 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_5042.jpeg
    IMG_5042.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_5049.jpeg
    IMG_5049.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 319
Back