Ricardo Gearbox platform support

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
For owner's not familiar with us and our support of the Ricardo gearbox, we wanted to put a brief overview out to describe.

Now 15+ years old, the gearboxes have proven themselves to be quite durable and capable of handling a large amount of torque. They've just never had replacement parts. We've mostly found there to be issues with welding on the 3rd gear, synchronizer wear, oil pump wear and complaints around the factory final drive ratio being too tall.

We've been working to remedy this the last couple years, rolling on new items as the market called for it. At present we offer for this gearbox:

- a 3.9 Ratio Ring & Pinion
- Synchronizer assemblies
- 3rd gear replacements
- Oil pump replacements
- Bearing replacements
- Performance clutch and flywheel upgrades

We also offer rebuilding services with likely the most recent experience with repairs to the gearbox.

If we can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to reach us to discuss.

Best,
John

I'm glad to see there's an option in the event something happens.

Our of curiosity I thought you needed special tools to work on it that Ricardo only gave Stillen?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Alex. I had my new Ricardo pulled apart and inspected by RPM Transmissions in Indiana. I'm pretty sure Ron McCall (Pantera1889) in Maryland has the tools and experience in rebuilding these also. John at HCF certainly looks like the place to go for quality parts and service also. To my knowledge, no one else has stepped up to the plate to offer new and up rated parts.

Regards Brian

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
I'm glad to see there's an option in the event something happens.

Our of curiosity I thought you needed special tools to work on it that Ricardo only gave Stillen?

There are a couple sets of factory tools around. I’d say the experience with common failures is at least as important, though!

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Hello John,
I am looking into drive axle options. I can't seem to find the C/V joint that fits the Ricardo flange. The Porsche 930 is close but a tad too small. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
“The Driveshaft Shop” sells the adapter flanges to mount the 930 cv joint to the Ricardo. Part number FDPL-3.

It is also the same adapter to use with the V10 Graziano. I think I paid about $450 for a pair. I have these adapters on both my Ricardo and V10 Graziano transaxles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Ken! I was thinking I might have to go the adaptor route in the end.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I've never understood Ricardo's 'one-and-done' mindset regarding that trans axle.
As bulletproof as they have proven to be (unless they're constantly being thrashed behind a really high h.p./torque engine...and even then it takes a lot to break one), one would think the company would have continued to manufacture complete units as well as replacement parts. One would think there'd be a high demand for 'e.m.
Buuuuut, obviously they'd know far more about all that that than I.

I've never understood Ricardo's 'one-and-done' mindset regarding that trans axle.
As bulletproof as they have proven to be (unless they're constantly being thrashed behind a really high h.p./torque engine...and even then it takes a lot to break one), one would think the company would have continued to manufacture complete units as well as replacement parts. One would think there'd be a high demand for 'e.m.
Buuuuut, obviously they'd know far more about all that that than I.

I think that was Ford's decision to scrap them whenever there was any issue and not have any future production parts. And Ricardo isn't going to tell Ford to f-off.

I think then Adrian then bought all the broken Ricardos and fixed them and that's where the SLC supply came from. And then Adrian died, so no more Ricardos for us.

Hi guys, I’m looking for internal parts of :2006 Ford GT40 Ricardo 6 speed gearbox, need 1st & 2 nd gears , operative sleeve 1st&2nd gear , let me know if those parts are available from anyone that you knows, thanks. John

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
John, at the top right hand side there should be what looks like a envelope. Click on that and the message is inside. There was a issue with the early Ricardo’s that had a misaligned laser weld on the gear to hub weld. Frequently when down shifting the weld would break and cause all kinds of havoc.

Regards Brian

Back