Ricardo Transaxle Reverse Lockout

Can anyone advise if the Ricardo transaxle has an electrical reverse lockout? Is it the electrical connector near the selector shafts? Possibly a lock out solenoid or just the reverse lights indication? This could be a real stupid question but I do not think I'm selecting reverse (no running engine etc) and I'm trying to setup the shifter.

Thanks

Jason it is just a reverse switch, no electrical reverse lock out on the Ricardo.

Can you give us a little more information, are you in a position where you can tell if it's in gear or not, have you got clutch assembly fitted so you can tell once it is in gear.

The detent is noticably stiffer for reverse. You might just need to put a little more effort into it. My wife needs to use 2 hands to break through the reverse detent, but that's not saying a lot.

You are looking for it in the right place, I can post a photo tomorrow with some arrows on it if I am not beaten to it.

Last edited:
Jason, If you take the front lever on the ricardo, put it in the center position and move the rear lever back and forth it should make the front lever go up and down. This is neutral. The shafts should be able to be turned by hand. I had the cables on mine made up at 108", but depending how you run them they can be shorter. I used a Ford GT short throw shifter, it works great. I can email some pictures if you like. Call me if I can help. 520-401-9142 [email protected] Take care, Al

Thanks to all for the responses. What you don't do its what I did. Sit at a desk and push a pen all week and then try to put a Ricardo in reverse at 1 in the morning! If one uses a bit of force the following morning after a sleep it goes in! Craig tell your wife that she is not the only person that may have to use two hands to get the car in reverse!

In an small attempt to regain some credibility the shifter is not mounted and its hard to put a lot of effort into it.

thanks.

Good news Jason, yeah, we have all been there.

You won't have any problems once you have your shifter cables and shifter all connected properly. It will have a beautiful shift.

I really like the detent weight, just enough to make it quick to shift back to 2nd, but not too much to make it difficult to shift into reverse.

I should have added that my wife also had a race harness on, without the harness on she could shift into reverse ok one handed. With the harness on, she would need to use two hands.

Back