Roaring Forties #44 - Ron Earp's GT40

Re: Roaring Forties #44 - Ron Earp\'s GT40

Hi Ron

Looking good. What did you coat the exhaust with in the end?
I was in a fried of mines last week who has his exhaust ceramic coated inside and out. The temp is way down under the rear clip and you have to get real close to feel the heat off of the headers.

Ron Earp

Admin

Some progress, although it is about 3 weeks old. Just a couple of pics of the side gear change and pedals. Side change is secured through many screws and is removable. AC, brake lines, heater control, accel cable, and gear shift run through this area. All are secured with rubberized "P" clamps and are very stable. I made the accel cable bracket so it is quite small. I also extended the front of the side section to meet the front part of the car, I did not like the original design that just left that tunnel open.

Attachments

• 33394-ron11.jpg
    33394-ron11.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 813

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Looking good Ron. Keep at it and it will be done in no time!
Regards Brian

Looking good, Ron. Did you use rivets or screws/rivnuts to fasten your P clamps to the chassis? Did you fasten to chassis rail or only to sheet metal?

Ron Earp

Admin

I used rivets on the P clamps and did not limit to only frame rails. The major anchors for a line are on frame rails, but I also used the panels when needed - I don't like rattling lines or things to be untidy. And, any rivet used got a blob of sealant on the head before insertion as is usualy practice for me. Over time they will work loose and this can seriously prevent it.

looks great Ron! I like your panel extension, think I'll copy that tomorrow. Brother in in town this weekend and us two rookies stripped down the 3U box. Lots of fun, gears look good, but think I'll replace all the bearing and seals.

Ron Earp

Admin

The extension idea I got from Hershal so thank him! I mounted my heater cable on it since it seemed like a great place. I was going to mount my fire pull up there but since I'm lefty on things like that I'm mounting the fire pull on a small panel I'll put in front of the emergency brake, that way the passenger can get it too.

Good luck with the 3U! Are you putting the LSD in yourself? I had a lot of trouble doing that and getting everything at the proper clearances and preload. Just had it done for me to save aggravation. I hate trannies.

Take care,
Ron

Ron Earp

Admin

Progress! It is off the dolly and on the ground! It looks "jacked up" but I suppose that is due to no engine loading. I'll fix that this weekend. I did put a crack in the chin spoiler lowering it but it isn't large and I think easily fixable. In panic I forgot which way loosened the jack and ended up bringing it down too far on the jack. Shit! But, easily fixable.

Attachments

• 34374-Ron_mar250001.jpg
    34374-Ron_mar250001.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 790

Looks good Ron. When do you think it will be finished? Mid summer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

Ha Ha! I won't guess anymore on finsihing. I'm moving next week, so you cna figure no GT40 work until late April to clear the dust from the move. I'd say Fall is a possibility. But I thought Fall 2003 was possible to until that pesky thing call work got in the way.

Don't feel bad Ron. I've been unable to even see my car for over a month now. Works a real bitch. Oh well it makes you appreciate the free time. I will work on it this weekend though!!!

Ron Earp

Admin

Ah Ha! the motor is in with only about 1.5 hour of cussing. Fits well, had to enlarge the two bolt holes on the tranny mount but I've heard this is SOP. That Canton pan is the right one for the RF GT40, fits perfectly flush with the bottom of the car. No interferences, no problems getting it in. I'll post some pics later this AM. Headers are tight, but fit with 1/4" clearance - might better get some solid motor mounts. Only problem I have is the cross-brace for the rear shock towers - can't use the one I have and it has already been modified. Not RF's fault, just how these headers are - they are nice and tight but really weren't made on a RF so you got to figure some adjustment.

The motor looks good in the car. Enough room to adjust the distributor too, which I didn't expect. Webers look nice and my valve covers clear the rear deck with about 2" to spare. I wouldn't mind trying to modify the motor mounts to drop the engine 1/2" to 1" or so further down but that is for another day. Have to use another pan for that too, and, seriously, I doubt I'll ever know the difference. It is just my tranny has 1" spacers under it and they could be eliminated if the front would do down a little further.

I also paneled the entire bottom of the car and was happy that nothing interferred there either. Nice job RF on the chassis, looks good. This is the trial fit, mainly to put the engine some place for the movers next week, and it will have to come out. When it does I'll finish up in the back and in it goes permanantly.

Ron Earp

Admin

Well, we've done our house move and I've almost got the garage into a work space again. 2 months later but at least I'll be back to work on the 40 soon. Here are a couple of pics with more to follow:

garage3.JPG

garage2.JPG

Thats the strangest looking car next to your 40.
The back end in the 1st pic reminds me of a pony car , and the front in the other shot makes me think of a foreign job.
Must be tough when you go to the parts store and they punch it in the pc to get the part you need.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron,

Be ready, when the wife is in the Lotus and you are in The GT, she might just kick your butt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopefully by then you have dynoed the GT and made sure it has the "proper" 400 RWHP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Car is looking great, can't wait to see it in yellow and Black, it will look BAAAAAAD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back