Roaring Forties #80

Rolf. Looks great. It appears almost identical to my next door neighbors car's paint job. Go to www.motorsnippets.com and click on events,then speed events and look at Geelong Speed Trials and Macedon Ranges Tour to see what she will look like finished. Regards

Chris Duncan

Supporter
"It took ten coats of base coat to hide the primer!"

I don't know very much about paint but I made this mistake myself so it's one of the things I know. Grey is not the correct primer color under yellow, that's why it was hard to cover. Brown primer is correct for yellow.

NICE WORK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Love that color combination.

Rolf

Looks great. That yellow/black color scheme is popular for a reason.

You mentioned (2) coats of clear...that's not much.
Obviously you're not planning to color sand.
You need a REALLY clean booth to pull that off.
Let us know how you make out.

Just curious...why didn't your painter do both clear coats?
I know from experience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif that it's MUCH easier to run the clear than the color, since the darn stuff is......clear!

MikeD

I tried doing the first coat of clear and ended up with a run off of the right tail light recess. The clear is quite a bit harder than the other coats. The run actually settled in over an hour or two but to avoid a repeat I asked the painter to do the second coat.

Ok, got the front, rear and spyder buffed and polished. They are now sitting comfortably in the piano room waiting for the rest of the car to be completed. As you can see my wife is very tolerant.

Attachments

• 39609-front,rear, and spyder in the piano room 001.jpg
    39609-front,rear, and spyder in the piano room 001.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 551
and another view

Attachments

• 39610-front,rear, and spyder in the piano room 004.jpg
    39610-front,rear, and spyder in the piano room 004.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 526
and one more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 39611-front,rear, and spyder in the piano room 002.jpg
    39611-front,rear, and spyder in the piano room 002.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 502
Rolf,

That's the best looking coffee table ever built!

Looks great! Like a bee, only it flies a lot faster!

Keep up the great work!

Bill

Careful Robert!
I made that statement once and believe me I will never do that again.
At least nowhere that she can hear or read it.

Fantastic looking piano room. That's the 2nd time I've seen a GT in a living room. We all are really kind of sick and should get our heads checked.
I hope to have paint on mine within the next 3 to 4 weeks.
John

Well its been a while since I last posted. Here are some updated photos. Most of the body stuff is done. I've made a lot of progress on the electrical and coolent systems. It's beginning to look like a car!! Hope to swing the engine/transaxle in another week or two.

Attachments

• 44563-Picture007.jpg
    44563-Picture007.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 539
Ok, last one for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 44567-Picture010.jpg
    44567-Picture010.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 522
Thanks Pete. Too bad we can't post high res images like on club cobra. The file limit hinders the resolution. I posted some of these over on club cobra in high res under rbrunckhorst for those interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rolf,
You're doing great and the GT looks good even in low res images. You gotta be proud to have your first paint job look better than most pros do.
Keep up the good work Rolf...I can't wait to see it at the Fling next June.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The car looks fantastic, very nice job. When I see the work you are doing it really excites me to try and build something as nice , hope I can come close. Dan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back