Roaring Forties #81

Sorry for the long delay in responding but things have been a little crazy around here lately. It all started with Katrina when the wife's cousin, hubby, kids and her aunt & uncle who live in Chalmette (south east of New Orleans) came to get away from the hurricane.
These folks lost everything, water was over the gutters. They were allowed to go home last week and salvage what they could but when they went in the house it had 2' of mud. They were able to salvage a few items and just walked away from the rest.
So my problems were minor when the hot water heater goes out with a full house, then the a/c quits while it's 99 degrees followed by ice maker. Then when things are almost back to normal there 20 year old son who sleeps all day and stays up all night on my computer has the thing so messed up it won't go no more. Well 300 bucks latter, losing everything on it and still not working I now have a new one.
Then here comes RITA. After 2 days to put every thing up and board up all the windows we head north. The wife has the horses and the cat and I have the GT in tow with the dog (now it's 100 in the shade).We were lucky that it only took us 12 hrs. to drive what usually takes 2 hrs.Two other family's from our area who took different routes spent 26 & 31 hrs. on the road.

Thanks for the kind words about the GT guys.

Bill I will get some more pictures up as soon as I can but yesterday I pulled the body off to sand it and put another coat of primer on. More sanding tomorrow and last coat of primer. Hope to have paint on it next week. I'm having a fellow who is a really good painter do the final paint in trade for work on a 63 Falcon (some mini tubs, wack the front off to install tubular a-arms with coilovers and a rack).

Howard It's been to long for me to remember but I will look up the sizes in the next day or so. I wanted to go with 6 piston on the front but the guy's at Precision Brakes said it wouldn't stop the car any better but would have better pedal feel. Being half the cost I decided to go with the 4 piston for now but will probably change them out latter, can't help but think that a pad with twice the surface area wouldn't stop better.

As you all have noticed I have a G50/50 and really like it , ratio's are nice and shaft angels are good. I purchased an Audi box and looked it over before my car arrived but decided to go with the G50/50. Hersh and others seem to have proven that it's probably not a bad box for the money, it will be interesting to see if Ron can tear his up or if it lives. I just didn't want to worry about it breaking. I didn't build this car to have to drive it easy.

No real issues with bottoming out but had to go around a few speed bumps. All I plan on doing is raising the ride height 1/2 " , machining 3/8" off the back space on rear wheels and going to a 24" tall front tire instead of the 26"and also in a better
tire all around.

Ross, thanks for the offer. I have no problems with the reservoirs, just had to install residual valves on both cylinders.
Simon

After many months of sanding and priming and more sanding I finally have paint on the car. A good friend Wayne has come down from the other side of Austin TX. to shoot the color & clear, a 5 hr. trip one way.
Here is a pic of the high-tech paint booth.

Attachments

• 70096-DCP_1297.JPG
    70096-DCP_1297.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 535
Installed body with one coat of clear to tape & line up stripes.

Attachments

• 70101-DCP_1309.JPG
    70101-DCP_1309.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 463
Now all I have to do is more sanding to get ready for more clearcoat.
Thanks again to Allen,Fran and Ian for helping with the paint codes.
I also found out last fri. that I am going to be a grandpa, It just doesn't get any better than this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Simon

Attachments

• 70105-DCP_1322#2.JPG
    70105-DCP_1322#2.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 536

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Absouluty gorgous! I noticed that the shop is in the living room.... Perfect place..Id rather eat and watch the car than TV anyday...Keep up the good work!
Oliver

Nice job Simon are those gulf decals going to be clearcoated over or sit on top of the colour,my compliments to your friend for applying a very nice paint scheme.
Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hello Simon,

very nice job.

Why did you shoot a coat of clear before the base coat?
In what steps did you paint the body?
Tape the body to shoot the orange first, then tape the orange to shoot the blue and at last tape the stripe over the edge of blue and orange (this is what I plan to do).

Hope it is clear what I mean - hard to decribe especially after a long night with lots of beer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Regards Reinhard

Oliver, that's quite the compliment coming from you, thanks. I do refer to it as my living room but I can't put GT parts on the table as it belongs on the aft deck of a boat.

Allan, the gulf decal is stuck on with a little piece of masking tape. I have heard of people clearcoating over decals but it sounds risky to me.

Reinhart, the pics I took with a flash appear gray but it is powder blue. We first painted the blue and sealed with clear coat then taped everything exposing only the part to be painted orange then pulled the 1/2" tape to paint the dark blue stripe and that was clearcoated. Now everything gets sanded and more clear. We thought about doing it the way you describe but were afraid the blue would not cover evenly over the blue & orange.

Simon

Simon,
OUTSTANDING !!

I think your build site here on the forum is one of the most popular. It's easy to see why. Your work is ..well..OUTSTANDING !. I sure hope I can see your car in person sometime.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Hersh, It means a lot coming from you. It's far from perfect, I'm not building it to show but driving this thing as much as possible.
I really want to make it to the Run&Gun next year so hope to see you there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Simon

I'll be there Simon...look forward to it. You will too once you go. It's a real treat meeting and racing with all your friend you will make while there. I'm going to try and get as many GT owners there as possible this coming year..

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Kouba

Supporter
With a spray job like that it's time to update your avatar. Looks GREAT!

Those wheels/tires in the rear arches also look fantastic. What tires are you using and what wheel sizes?

Chris

How's that Chris,
The wheels are 15" Vintage - 8" fronts and 10" rears.
Tires are BFG 235/60/15 & 295/50/15. I would like to find a better 15" tire and will also go with a shorter tire on the front.

Simon

Back