Roaring Forties #81

~

Attachments

• 54665-3-23-05001.jpg
    54665-3-23-05001.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 647
Your car looks fantastic. Could you elaborate on the emergency brake (I think that is what I saw). Is it wilwood? What is the part number? Thanks,

P.S those flares look awsome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Beautiful work Simon! Be sure to stock up on the excellent Niagara wines when you are there. You're going to have lots of celebrating to do soon from the looks of it. Please keep posting lots of pics. It keeps us "future owners" inspired and motivated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My brother who owns Vista Customizing in Corpus Christi Texas came up a few weeks ago and covered my dash with leather, he did a great job. Have most of the wiring & plumbing finished and the engine running.Hope to take a trip to the end of the driveway this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 57143-DASH4-17-05001.jpg
    57143-DASH4-17-05001.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 556
Faili, They are Wilwood Mechanical calipers. I will get the part # for you. I had to make the mounting brackets.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Really neat work Simon, the dash looks great. Bet you can't
wait for the driveway Le Mans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm sure this has been gone over before, and proved not to be a problem since so many people do it, but doesnt having the exhaust so close to the gearbox have some adverse effect on the temperature of the gear oil in the transmission? Ive also seen people mount oil coolers close to the exhaust on top of the gear box, but that would also feel the effects of the heat would it not?

By the way, these build pictures are purely inspiring. Beautiful work.

Trailered the car to my brothers shop in Corpus Christi to have him do the seats, not quite finished yet but they look real good and are really comfortable. He made the bottom and back a removable cushion so I'll have plenty of head room with a helmet.
He is planning on making a office chair in leather so if anyone is interested let me know.

Attachments

• 64451-SEATS9-06-05004.jpg
    64451-SEATS9-06-05004.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 574
I have put about 500 mi. on it and it has been a blast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 64453-6-19-05001.jpg
    64453-6-19-05001.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 541

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have nearly the same brake setup on my GTD but I still have the old GTD master/booster installed. What size caliper pistons did you use? I used 13/8" on both ends and I think I could have done better with 13/4 on the front.

Also what size masters did you use front and rear?

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Simon,

Please confirm something for me. I have seen traffic that due to the Audi trans having the input shaft above the output shaft in the case, it is too difficult to set the ride height at something which looks appropriate.

You on the other hand, have a fantastic looking stance for your car. Are you running an Audi box? Any mods on the install? Any issues with drivetrain angles, etc? Is it just the angle of the photos which makes it look so good?

If not an Audi box, what are you running?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Chris,

It's not the ride height that is compromised, only the driveshaft angles which makes it difficult to get the motor and transaxle low in the chassis.Extreme drive shaft angles are not good for reliability of drivetrain components eg C/V or UNI joints.
Ross

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Understood Ross, but I am curious as to how Simon got such an appealing stance with an RF (assuming he's using the standard RF setup of an Audi trans).

Chris

Chris
I think you can see in Simon's sig - he is running a Porsche G50/50. SO he is not running the Audi.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Thanks Lee. It's the wee hours of the morning for me and I missed the obivous...

Not to highjack Simon's thread but how's your build going? I check your site from time to time and don't see too many updates. I'm hoping your totally occupied with your build and too busy to post pics?

CK

I very much like the stance as well. Pictures of Ross' car look very racy. Do you guys have problems bottoming out on on the street?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I think the stance of Simon's car looks good because he has used a wheel offset that fills the wide arches on the rear with 50 profile tyres.In my opinion there is nothing worse than wide arches that are not filled with fat rubber. As he says he could have fitted 12" wheels as there is a lot of room between the inner tyre sidewall and suspension.295 front tyres fill the wheel arches well at the front too.The motor / transaxle position doesn't affect the cars stance because ride height is set by the coilover/ shock adjustment unless I am confused as to the meaning of stance.Very neat job Simon.I have remotely mounted my Tilton resevoirs slightly higher than the wheel calipers as gravity plays a part with the fluid flow.May only affect blleeding though.Just thought I should mention it.Let me know if you want a pic of my setup.I don't have bottoming out problems John but then my spring/wheel rates are tailored for track use and are quite stiff.I think 15" wheels and tall rubber looks tough and my cars 17" wheels and low profile tyres not as tough or period but there is little race rubber available in 15" here in OZ.
Ross

Back