Roaring Forties GT40 #083

HILLY

Supporter
#83 Arrives in North Queensland (Hope this image works)
Note that the scrutineers are right on the job.

Attachments

• 24485-A-RF#083 001Arrival.jpg
    24485-A-RF#083 001Arrival.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,659

HILLY

Supporter
Rear Bulkhead Panel goes on. I hope that this was the hardest panel to fit.

Attachments

• 24488-001-1 - Rear Bulkhead.jpg
    24488-001-1 - Rear Bulkhead.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,604
Hey, did you guys catch the fact that Hilly has curtains in his garage. Ok Hilly, fess up. Was that a comprimise with the little woman? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HILLY

Supporter
The hardest job to date was picking the pretty fabric for those curtains.
It was a necessity though as our neighbors bedroom is right outside that window and I could not afford any distractions while working on the 40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Truth be known it was the girl who made the final push for the 40 project. She seemed to think that with an incentive like that at home I would not spend some much time at work and I must confess that it is always in the back of your mind. Having said that here I am on a glorious Saturday morning pushing paper around while the lads in the shop are hard at it on a breakdown. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

HILLY

Supporter
Hi Randy,
To be quite honest mate I have not progressed very far with these baffles to date.
I have fitted them and without any technical measurements and data they do seem to have a reasonable effect on the noise levels similar to the supertrapps that I originally used to get through my compliance testing. They just look a whole lot better. Unfortunately a drawn out registration process has put the brakes on any of these improvement projects for the moment.
My eventual intentions are to use my engineers noise measuring equipment to get accurate reading and then get the buggy back on the dyno to see what effect there is on the power output and tuning. The other thing that I will need to work on is the shape of the cutouts as they tend to generate a slight whistling sound as they are now. Probably the centre hole.
I will be sure to post an update when I get it sorted.

By the way, you must have gone back a long way to find this thread. I had forgotten all about it. I should probably update it a little as the RF is all but finished and the plans for the next project have already started!!
I should also take the chance to thank Paul from the ‘New RF” who has been very helpful in the registration process for RF083. It is very much appreciated.

HILLY

Supporter
Some more of the panelling on 083.

Attachments

• 010 - Cabin Panels.jpg
    010 - Cabin Panels.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,366
  • 011 - Wheel Arches.jpg
    011 - Wheel Arches.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,354
  • 023 - Radiator Compartment.jpg
    023 - Radiator Compartment.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,389
  • 024 - Radiator Compartment.jpg
    024 - Radiator Compartment.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,375

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
My eventual intentions are to use my engineers noise measuring equipment to get accurate reading and then get the buggy back on the dyno to see what effect there is on the power output and tuning. The other thing that I will need to work on is the shape of the cutouts as they tend to generate a slight whistling sound as they are now. Probably the centre hole.
I will be sure to post an update when I get it sorted.

Hi Peter - yes I went a longgg ways back to find your thread here! :)
RE: Whistling
I've found that sharp edges produce the whisting in other intake/exhaust systems I've worked on.
I would like to duplicate your efforts to ensure that I can meet the letter of the law when it comes Registration / Inspection time..

Keep up the fine work!

HILLY

Supporter
Randy,
Thanks for that bit of advice on the sharp edges.
Hopefully it will be sorted before you are ready to go.

HILLY

Supporter
My mate Jim on the body fit up mission....

Attachments

• P1001398.jpg
    P1001398.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,225
  • 027 - Body Fitting.jpg
    027 - Body Fitting.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 026 - Body Fitting.jpg
    026 - Body Fitting.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,172

HILLY

Supporter
Prep for painting...

Attachments

• DSCN0051.jpg
    DSCN0051.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,070
  • DSCN0079.jpg
    DSCN0079.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,087
  • DSCN0080.jpg
    DSCN0080.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,063
  • DSCN0081.jpg
    DSCN0081.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,084

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Looking good Peter !! This is the stage where the "boring grey, dust generating, PITA blob" turns into a car of stunning beauty !

You can now safely vacuum out the garage (even the curtains), knowing that you won't be treading dust from there into the house any more !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

HILLY

Supporter
Very true Pete, It is a very exciting time in the build which is very satisfying.
Unfortunately I have been very slack and I have not kept this thread up to date. These photo’s were taken back in October ’05.
That dust is just the worst thing. My garage looked like a scene from ET with the plastic cocoon around it and that s_ _t still found its way inside. Finally got it all cleaned up and then moved to our new place. The curtains are still hanging proud though at the old place.

Hi Hily

I hope that given these photos were taken in 2005 you will be giving us a retrospectively constructed build thread. Looking at your avatar you have a pretty nice color scheme going on. I cna only assume (and hope) you have finished the car by now. Anyway, even they are a bit old, keep the photos coming!

JW

HILLY

Supporter
Jack, Your assumption is correct. The car has been 99% complete since December last year. I say 99% because I still have a few bits and pieces to tidy up including the upholstery. I have since waited until late February this year to finally get my engineer to do the ADR testing and then submit the final approval documentation to our Transport Department. A reply from these ‘very busy’ people did not come through until early June with a million and one questions of which the answers were returned last week. Soooo.... Now we sit and wait again.
In the mean time I have had an outing via a permit arrangement which enabled a 230Km round trip for some servicing requirements and a stop over at a regional car show. An absolutely awesome experience and it did not miss a beat. A few pic’s of that a little later.
After the most stressful decision of the project was made, I am now very happy with the colour and striping scheme. I will add a few pic’s of that now.
Also I think that I have already mentioned it but I would again like to thank Paul and the New RF boys for the assistance with the registration issues.

Back