Rookie mistake and the concequences

Bill, very well done sir and congrats. I look forward to seeing the completed car. Andrew (Charley Farley) has always been more then helpful to me also and an invaluable resource because of his resources. Odd to read about Gelscoe's complete lack of wanting to help.....wonder what the story behind that is. Shame.

Post pics as soon as you can.

O K Dave. here is the supply list and how I went about it. I decided to erect a temporary paint booth in the downstairs basement(my shop). The shop is partially finished. Don't put it up til you are ready to paint. I had to strech my painiting out due to several unforseen events like my 25 year old compressor dying and taking a month to get it straightened out. Lot of tears and rips from things falling like air hoses etc.
PB250183_zps0a1f2207.jpg

First job is to clear everything out that you can, and clean every inch. I used (4) 9x12Ft 2mil drop cloths. Stapled to the ceiling rafters and isolated about 1/2 of the space for the booth(2 car inline garage). Should have made it larger as the chassis was bigger than the space. I left the plastic draped from the ceiling and stapled to 2x4s on the floor. cut 2x4s at places that I installed zipper door(Home Depot). Make the door wide enough to roll the chassis into and out of it. I used 1/2" PVC to roll the door up for chassis entry and used one side open for me to enter. Door is about 7' tall. You will need at least 2 more for the car. Lots of painters tape narrow and wide. Built two filter boxes for inlet air
P8250509_zps0ecab4ae.jpg

and installed two window fans in two or the garage door windows. Attached them only at the top(with large triangilar hinge) so that if the garage door is open they hang down and can keep the area cool. I taped off the motor entrance so there wouldn't be any contact with the vapors and the motor.
P8250508_zps15606d6c.jpg

P8250511_zps110c073d.jpg

I have access to surgical towels and used them to block off all the windows. Sun will heat the area up and create glares. Used 7 spot lites along with the 3 florescent setups that were there. I used a 5.5HP compressor with 20 gal tank(rather noisy). Need compressor to keep up with the rate of the gun. Ran mine at 40 lbs. The tank was connected to 50" of black pipe and that connected to 50' of 3/4" hose on a reel. I used disposable desiccants(4-5) at the reel. You don't want any water to make it to the gun. Probably should have purchased a permanent descant setup. The black pipe is to cool the air coming from the tank. Hot air holds a lot of moisture. I used regular paint filter mask(not the cloth ones) and goggles. If I was starting over I would get the full face setup with filter and blower. Kept fogging up the goggles, and my beard didn't help much. With the fans running full blast you shouldn't have a lot of paint clouds floating around. I used an Evolution paint gun from Eastwood along with their primer.
P8250504_zpse2d70cf4.jpg

It comes with a 1.4 tip. you will need to get two tip kits. a 1.2 for clear coat and a 1.7 for primer. The color can use the 1.4 or the 1.2. lots of sand paper for wet sanding different grits. 60 for any filler you might use,80, 120, 180 for shaping, 220, 320 400 and 600 for finish sanding, 1000, 2000 and 3000 for color sanding and you will gravitate to a DA sander with hook and loop sanding disc. It will save you tons of time. Just be careful
You will find that no matter how clean you keep everything you are going to get contaminant into the paint. Don't worry about it because with a base coat/clear coat system repairs can be done at any step along the way.. That makes it nice and easy. Spend about a month researching Utube on techniques and how tos on painting. You will need a good buffer and lots of discs(wool pad and foam pads) for the rubbing compound and polishers, Make sure they have a speed control setting on the unit so you can tailor your needs. Watch as many videos as you can. They will drop pearls of wisdom that make a difference. Ones I found to be good references were the following.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5jahpduhjbV707lEA_3gAA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH7RpXjPcKNSw5Shb4WCIGA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdQI8hJpM3L6ayCAap-2gIg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb7dl9tHKx-zKDchXjeNfQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCViyboSXSfns8wtFx3_1g

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzA2PE7vg9R_ebLiBSjCxEw

There are tons of videos by these guys and they are very helpful. Moving the clips around is a job. you will need an engine hoist and some fabric covered rope(Harbour Freight) to Jerryrig through and around everything to lift off the car and to put back on. It will even help with the doors.Get to know the guys that work in the paint supply house near you. Drop in and just talk to them about which products they would recommend, supplys you will need, and of course cost. You will spend some money but remember a paint job will cost you around 10K at least. Plan to drop about 1-2K if you don't have anything. You can help yourself in that you can make your own degreaser(alcohol and water in a spray bottle. Be meticulous and take your time. Use baggies and label everything you take off the car.Label wires and or their attachment post, particularly the rear lights. Paint goes everywhere. I did a lot of two tone stuff. I did the second color as a primer and did all the main color including clear coat before I did the black. If any gets throught the plastic an onto the body, it will come off with more rubbing compound and the buffer wheel. Just don't let it get hot. It will melt through the clear and burn the paint. Then you have to start over. If you run into something you need help on just drop me a line or give me a call.

Bill

Not sure how I missed this thread?

Reading through today, I just had to commend you Bill on opting for Linden Green. Such a great colour for a 40.

If I ever get my P4 finished, I would have some kind of pre-flight check-list that must be completed before setting off. I have a brain like a sieve and will surely forget something important! At least the tail on the P4 hinges forward and not back!

Mark
You may have hit on something for some for the tinkerers on the forum. I can see the 40 tail flipping up from the roof line. Lord knows it would help from having to take the tail off every time you need to do some work on the drive train. Would take a hell of a set of gas shocks to support it.:stunned:
I will put that thought in the memory bank for about 2-3 years from now. That's all I will say about it for now:idea:

Bill

Well, I have run into my(hopefully) last bump in the road to recovery. Installing all the pits and pieces back onto the car, and too tired to quit, I managed to drop one of the front headlites. So it needs replacing. Any good sources out there for the 4x7(aprox.) lights.
P8270513_zps1ce09291.jpg

P8290514_zps3ee0bf63.jpg

P8290515_zpsee0d55a2.jpg

I am assuming these are bonded in to the buckets. So may have to get physical with it to get it out.
BTW can someone tell me what the contacts in the bottom of the last photo are for?? Have never known. Don't mind going to more modern lights if need to.

Bill

Don't know what is happening to Photobucket as I haven't deleted or moved any photos. So the last post left them off. To repost and add to it, I managed to break the light cover to one of the headlights. So It will need replacing. I will go on one of the aftermarket light sebsites and see if thier interactive helper cna do that for me. Otherwise here is the light I a looking for. Probably have to order two so they will match.
P8270513_zps1ce09291.jpg

P8290514_zps3ee0bf63.jpg

P8290515_zpsee0d55a2.jpg

Since I didscovered I have another week off from work I can get a lot done(I hope). So went down to the shop and proceded to start the color sanding of the last two major pieces, the central cabin and the rear clip. Originally going to let them outgas solvents for another week before starting the sanding, but since I had the time, and its been a week....

Bill

Well the painting is over(for now). It isn't show quality but as my friend told me, the difference in a show car and a driver is a show car will never be dirven. Will have to locate a good detailer to get all the few swirls and sanding marks out of the car. They aren't that noticeable till close up, but then..... Have enjoyed the process. Big learning experience. Had fun all the way through it.
Took the car up to Cobb county to a "Cruise In". Got to see a lot of my old high school buddies. Must have been 60 or so cars there. Just happened to be a McClaren there as well.
P9060524_zps86fb2779.jpg

P9060523_zps7ac6435e.jpg

Left there and drove down to the Tara Mustang All Ford Show at Summit Auto parts. A good 60+ cars there mostly Mustangs. Five divisions of Mustangs and one for Specialty Cars that included 2Cobras, 2Ford GT's, 4Trucks, 3Old Fords and my lone GT 40 which won the top award for that class.
When i went to put the mirrors back on last night, I realized I had not painted them. So just put them on and went on. Hadn't put the door panels on either, so they treated it like it was a race car.
Will be taking it back to the interior shop next week for the finishing of the interior. May just paint those mirrors black.
So here it is:

P9060528_zpsffc441fc.jpg

P9060532_zps55fdf8b0.jpg

P9060531_zps6a92be5a.jpg

P9060530_zpsa4a66cd1.jpg

Hard to believe it has been a year since I drove it last.

Bill

Hi Bill,
the car look great in the Linden Green and a lot of respect for painting it yourself. It was one of my preferred colours, but my 'management team' didn't approve

Regards,
Andy

Dave,
This is for you.

P9070543_zps3e912b1d.jpg

P9080548_zps1bd86bd1.jpg

P9080549_zpsd7be1fa6.jpg

P9080550_zpscfaefc9b.jpg

P9080551_zps2712c222.jpg

I still need to paint the mirrors. Fighting over doing them black or green!!! Will do a video with the camera later on, probably this weekend. Had a walk around video on my cell and couldn't download due to lack of memory on the phone:furious:

Bill

Nick,
Have you received the sample I sent?? Sent it just after our Labor day holiday.
More shots to come.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Arrived today thanks very much. I assume the strip has one half sprayed one half with lacquer, and a splodge of your mix paint.

Looking forward to the video :)

Back