roush 8 stack remote throw out bearig

Hi Larry, I'm not following. Are you talking about the clutch throw out bearing? On most transaxles it's internal to the bell housing, with the ID encompassing the output shaft. You have a different (external) arrangement of some kind?

That is correct'
I have since found that Lloyd @ RBT makes a fork and shaft, and Dennis Orthloff makes a bracket and slave, to make the throw out bearing external; thus making a bearing change fast and easy.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That is correct'
I have since found that Lloyd @ RBT makes a fork and shaft, and Dennis Orthloff makes a bracket and slave, to make the throw out bearing external; thus making a bearing change fast and easy.

Maybe I am not following well... But....

I would love to see an external throw out bearing.. Or any throw out bearing that is "easy" to change..

Randy,
Have enjoyed your GT-Forty build site and have learned alot about GT40's. I am interested in having a 331 motor built similar to yours by Dave Engel at Carriage House Custom. Their website has been down for several weeks now. Are they still in business.

Many thanks for the help and superb info you have on your build site!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
PM coming.. CHCA is idled for now. Thanks for the compliment..

Apologies for the thread drift folks..

Larry:
No matter which throwout bearing you select it still must run concentric on the snout of the gearbox.
What you are referring to is an external slave cylinder, with a thru shaft and fork to engage the throwout bearing.
I personally think it is a great setup, as throwout bearings for the most part are very reliable if installed correctly and should not need fussing with once you sort out the whole deal.
Also, changing slave cylinders does not require splitting the motor and gearbox, and no leaks around the clutch from a bad internal slave.
If you can keep posting as you do your setup, I am sure others would be interested in the configuration including myself.
Cheers
Phil

Thanks for all the comments, I'll have more information once I actually see what I am dealing with, in terms of actual parts

Back