Run & Gun

Just got back from the Run and Gun. What a great car event. Unfortunately, I did'nt get there until Saturday so I missed the road race and autocross event. I understand one gt40 won the road race in its class. I met Robert Logan there. His knowledge of GT40s is truley impressive and he is a truly personalbe individual. Hershal Byrd was there also. Between Hershal and Robert, I gleaned an incredable amount of information about these cars and had a heck of a good time! Looking forwead to next year when hopefully there will be another RFGT40 represented. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 23620-GT40 Pics 001.jpg
    23620-GT40 Pics 001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 264
Ok Guys,
I'll give you the scoop before you here it from someone else. First I would like to say that this event was a blast. I had more fun than should be legal. Every event was ran with great effeciency. You got more track time per dollar than any place I've been.
Now for the news. I was in the street class as I had on my street tires and had no major mods or power adders. The first event for me was the autocross. You were allowed four runs and the first run was your warm up and learn the track run. I took 3rd place overall in my class which was the largest class.
After the autocross I proceeded to the roadcourse for the practice session. As I was preparing the car for my turn I was also talking to a spectator who wanted some info on the GT40. I stopped what I was doing to answer his questions. At this point the announcer made the call for my classes turn on the track and I excused myself from the conversation and hurriedly climbed into the GT and strapped on my helmet. i entered the track and made three laps and on the fourth I went to pass a Lister in the straight. As I was clearing 110 MPH the GT suddenly jerked to a sudden slow down and I felt a sudden lurch forward against my belts. After a few seconds I realized that the rear clip had come open and acted like a paracute or an air brake. . I pulled of the side of the track, shut the lid and left the track. So you guys go ahead with the funnies cause I have been taking a ration from the troops here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The car was only scuffed on the rear clip above the license plat and the hinges were bent. I couldn't believe that there was not way more damage. I wouldn't have had that damage if the hooks on the rear clip cable hadn't stretched open and allowing the rear to hit the pavement.
On the Dragstrip I didn't have much better luck either. My first run was not good as I shifted from second to fifth, then tried to go back to third. I turned a 14:03 at 103 MPH. The second run I did a pre burn out and chipped a tooth on first gear. So as not to damage the trans any further I elected to not run any more.
This is a great event and I look forward to next year. All the guys are great and we all just had a great time.
Rick was there with his red GTD and I think he did really well especially at the drag strip. Ricks car is a beauty.
Jerry Jansing was also there with his RF. He did not compete in the autocross or the drags. He did win First place in the small block prepared roadcourse event and the he too Top Dog honors in road course. Way to go Jerry!!
So the GT's that were there faired well and we did the moniker proud. Next year I hope there will be many other there that will come and show off their GT's.

Hersh:)

Hi Hersh,

Sorry to hear about your rear clip damage but I'm sure you'll have it fixed up good as new real soon. It sounds like you forgot to clasp the latches before you went out on track. I know from this thread that you've installed two pins from a 68 Shelby on the top of your car's rear clip in addition to the standard GT40 side clasps. Did you leave all of the clasps loose or just a few? I ended up reinforcing my side clasp mounting locations on the inside of the front and rear clips and on the inside of the sill covers with carbon fiber cloth, not only to reinforce the clasp mounting surface, but because I drilled the holes in the wrong place on my first try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Glad to hear you had fun, Hersh, and that the damage to your car is mostly cosmetic.

Guys,
We just walked in the door ten minutes ago from our trip back from R&G. What a fantastic venue. The GT suffered minor injuries. I will take my time and make all the repaires so the GT will be as it was. While I'm doing this I may go ahead and stick in a 01E 6spd box if I can find one soon.
The most important thing is that I had great fun and the GT's did well. Aside from drag racing the GT's kicked but. You all might remember the RFGT40 that some guy posted about some months back. He said it was blowing hoses and didn't do well. The same car was at R&G and it was a bullet! Jerry Jansing's GT took first in his class and Top Dog overall. So much for the hot air that guy was blowin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I also forgot to mention that I finished fifth overall in my class. It could have been better but I missed two corners that I usually take well. I lost a lot of time.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back