Sat in a mkI

i finally got to sit in a Mark I roller this weekend. I was really impressed with the fit and finish. One thing that seems odd to me... The guy showing the chassis was very specific in saying that the fuel tank was central and front "for safety" with twin fillers, not the sill tanks. I can find nothing to substantiate this, and much to refute it. Any comments? The fuel tanks have always been an issue for me, possibly more perception than real...

I have spoken with three different Superformance dealers over the course of the past couple of years. I have been quite surprised about their profound ignorance of their own product. While each of them could discuss them on a basic level, none of them had any real knowledge of genuine GT40s, nor could they answer all of my specific technical questions. Yes, they knew the basics, but when I began to delve more deeply, I could see their eyes glaze over, and the tap-dancing begin.

Everybody I know personally who has a Superformance GT40 purchased it from Olthoff, even though none of them are anywhere near him, and all of them have Superformance dealers much closer to their respective homes. Apparently Olthoff is virtually alone in having a deep understanding of what he is selling (warts and all). I'm still a couple of years out from buying mine, but based upon their positive experiences and my lack of confidence in my local dealers, I will almost assuredly buy mine from Olthoff too.

The new Ford GT has its tank in the tunnel for safety and pressumbly this is what the dealer was thinking of. It is a pretty poor state of affairs when the dealer for a product aimed at a incredibly discerning customer base can (charitibly put) make this kind of mistake.
Ignorance however seems a better word!

No, the dealer knew exactly what he was saying, even said it in a convincing manner "SPF moved the tank from the sills to the front which allowed them to keep the twin fillers in the proper locations."

Mike, I got the same impression from the guy that you did. I think I will move on.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
He must have thought the fake oil tank was the fuel cell. First day on the job? One thing about Dennis Olthoff is he is honest and will keep his word. I consider myself lucky to get my car just on a hand shake without really knowing me. He could have sold to someone else but he held it for me just as he said. He is a very busy man, a true gear head nuts and bolts type of guy. Both times I have seen him he was running Military. (105%) Of course my friends bought from him so they may have lied about me up front.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Guys...I couldn't agree more re Olthoff Racing...As most know I own P2125 (contracted in 2005 and took delivery in Aug this yr) see pics and write up in Superformance section under "P2125 registered ond on the road"...Everything Dennis did was to or exceeded my expectations...Few warantee issues (factory issues) that he is taking care of but, his work and knowledge is par none....Steve

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I must agree with everything positive said about Dennis Olthoff and his company. I have introduced two of my gear head friends to Dennis and they bought from him and they are very happy. One of them even has a dealer around the corner so to speak but chose to go the 1,100 miles. You may not like the answer to your questions but you can take that answer to the bank if it comes from Dennis. I'm sure the other dealers are doing their best with what they have to work with but I'm just a little to particular I guess.

If I had a "real" GT40 and not just a "continuation" I would haul it the 800 miles to Dennis to have modifications made. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to ask Dennis to work on any non-Superformance Cobra, GT40 or Daytona, original or replica. I bet you would be pleasantly surprised to hear him say "come on down".

Back