Scotts build thread

Keith

Ah, ok. One flipping car looks very much like another to me but the photo posted was surely on the Mulsanne?

Apologies for thread flip Scott..:)

Dear Scott:

What is happening here?

Me? Scare YOU? Hahahahahaha! Nah!!

Me? Discredit your design? No way!

What is happening here?

What is happening here is the normal, messy human-to-human process of communication, aided and hindered by the electronic medium through which you and I communicate: the forum board.

When you started your build thread and I started reading it, both you and I did not know a lot of things (be patient! Just follow along a bit longer).

Here is an example you gave of something you did not know of before you encountered it:
You did not know something, you found out, you learned, and you changed it.

Here is what I did NOT know about you before the aerodynamic question of your SLC came up: your aims and your methodology.

What DID I know before the aeronose question arose?

18th December 2012, 02:00 PM #2
Old 26th June 2014, 08:35 AM

So, Scott, because I knew what Fran and team had done, and I did not know that you would pull back a design that is unsafe, I posted the cautionary photo of the Porsche. As you yourself noted, even Porsche, with all their computers and history and knowledge, did not account for a car that
So, who is afraid?

Me.

For whom am I afraid?

You.

What am I afraid of?

Your safety.

BUT, NOW I know that you are:

and that you have
and

to the extent that

because

The time lag of the forum introduced the misunderstanding.

Fortunately, you told me (and all of us) more about yourself and your design goals, and Fran is telling you more about the SLC's aerodynamics.

Whew!

You are in good hands.

Les :)

Man, that must have taken a long time. Lol.
If the SLC was originally designed with the software to run downforce/lift and drag, then I retract my statement (even though I did give myself an out anyways saying "to my knowledge"). If the software was brought in after for the race team to refine the design, then my statement is true. To me it does not matter either way, it was mearly me leading towards the fact that what I have built is a good contender to be tested, then can be further refined if need be. Which pretty much lines up with any other part made. Build a part to the best of your knowledge and ability, then test, and refine as needed. You would not take any body design, whether done in a computer software program, or made of plywood in the front yard, straight to the track and try your first run at 240mph.

I have been on forums for many years. Have done many parts over the years under the name SVRTech, all of them internet forum advertising based. I still hold records on some of my designs over some of the biggest aftermarket names out there that have access to any software they want. Internet forums can destroy small businesses by one persons "scare tactics" type post, whether meant to be that way or not. Then a bandwagon starts and I have seen many companies get torn apart, even when they were on the right track and had a great product. When this happens to me, I cut it off very quickly, simple as that.

This does not mean I am against criticism, or do not want to hear feedback on things. But, I would like the feedback to be in a constructive and USEFUL way to better the product or piece I am making. :thumbsup:

Well, V1 design. Boom, in the trash it goes! Original has 20sq" of open area, this has 26sq", but not liking it. Will cut fins in half again and double it. Goal is 30sq"+ open area. Was trying to angle at a gradiant to clear tire, but think they will all have to match to look good. Better luck tomorrow! Lol.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Vents normally sit up in the airflow to allow the flowing surface air to extract (pressure differential) the turbulent/high pressure air beneath ....just saying

Last edited:
I also think, the front of the fender itself at speed will create a low pressure over the entire area, since it is on the down slope of the fender. New design will have about 40sq" open area and shorter, steeper angled fins. It will be perfectly fine..

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
You send me full scan data and we will , no problem
An accurate CAD model would suffice too.
I had the SLC buck scanned before we went into
Production and the point cloud was massive as the resolution I wanted was very high , enabling super accurate results.

Last edited:
What file type? I suppose even a 3d printer/scanner would be easiest, they are not that big. It is the same outer dimensions as your bolt on option (if they are still same size), so scaling would be easy.

This is my final design. My sole purpose of building it was to have a smoother body line going over the fender. Open area, 38sq", fins at 27-30 degree angle.
I did add a raised "louver" on the first opening, but all of the rest are on the down slope of fender.

Howard Jones

Supporter
What ride height are you using at the front? It looks like the vent is protruding downward into the wheel well somewhat. I am running my car at 4 inches at the front corner of the chassis foot box and about right at 3 inches at the street splitter with less that a 1/8 inch of vent protrusion and that is just about the lowest I can go with leaving a small margin of clearance to the tires under bump.

I am sure you have thought of this, but running the car a inch higher to avoid tire rub isn't worth the aero penalty I would think. I will have to make a run up north to have a look at you car. Really some nice work.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I like the look. Think I will make many more of these on the car including over rear tires.

Are you planning to affix some sort of S.S. 'fine mesh' on the underside of same to prevent small stones (and whatever other debris) from blasting up thru 'em and saying 'Hello' to the car's paint?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
3d solidworks or any other file type you have iges/stp would work.
Has to be an accurate model to give accurate results though obviously.

If your mods are purely aesthetic for you then don't sweat it but then also lets not presume it's going to be 100%. or better than the original starting point.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Fran, have you noticed that the current WEC Hybrids have the opening mostly IN FRONT of the high point of the tire with no slats in them of any kind? Any thoughts on this and far as pressure relief? Seems like the hole is on the wrong side of the tire pump action.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
This helps relieve the pressure infront of the leading edge of the tyre , this is the highest pressure point, if you look at any aero trace the highest concentration of pressure around the wheels is where the tyre meets the road...also the hardest to alleviate...

The "hole" location/size is very carefully restricted by the rules guys...

What ride height are you using at the front? It looks like the vent is protruding downward into the wheel well somewhat. I am running my car at 4 inches at the front corner of the chassis foot box and about right at 3 inches at the street splitter with less that a 1/8 inch of vent protrusion and that is just about the lowest I can go with leaving a small margin of clearance to the tires under bump.

I am sure you have thought of this, but running the car a inch higher to avoid tire rub isn't worth the aero penalty I would think. I will have to make a run up north to have a look at you car. Really some nice work.

Hey Howard, thanks for the compliment.
My car will sit at about 3.5" off ground at front of splitter. At that ride height, I have 1.5" off of top of tire to bottom of vent. My shocks will bottom out my travel at another 1-1.25" of travel, so in theory, I have room. Worse case scenario is if there is interference, you simply relieve that single vent opening a little more. Currently they are sticking roughly 1/2" into wheel well. All measurements taken with a 295/30/18 dot race tire. Tire consideration with this vent would require a tire that size or smaller dia.

Back