Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs

I have to laugh.

It's not enough to have a political discussion about gun rights/control, but somehow Jesus and the existance of God gets dragged in too. Penis size next?

You guys are too funny.

Martin,

you did a good thing.

Don't let one or two 'good old boys' put you off! :)

Graham.

Graham,

Even though I have no common sense, it tells me to get out of here as well.

All I want is peace and this thread just seems to fan the flames of anger.

Jesus and the existance of God gets dragged in too.
You guys are too funny.

Partly my fault for responding to the talk of God in the initial post, but for what its worth as a practising Christian (and having to do a lot of practising as I'm not very good at it) he does come into everything and as the view offered differs to what I know about him I felt it necessary to challenge that view.

At least it bought some happiness to you.

P.S. It's average if you must know.

Last edited:
John,

I'd have to agree with you on this one....which is why I choose an AR10 over an AR15.

Jeez, the price of ammo these days!!

Because Jim...in order to adequately protect you from whatever baddie is out there...be it a soldier from another country, a criminal on the street, or god forbid, your own elected officials...I must have the means at my disposal to prevent them from recovering to initiate force again, and conversely, slow me down with their care.

Guns make this possible. I prefer my enemies dead. There would be very little confusion in your mind had you ever experienced combat.

If you don't mind being a victim, by all means, ignore the police and military and go stand in front of them unarmed. I promise you, you will be relieved of your life very quickly by the enemy.

Jim, this is exactly why even a lib's mother doesn't love them...

You are taking the TOTAL deaths from firearms and presenting it as if it were ALL crime related.

The fact is, over half of all firearm related deaths in the US are SUICIDES. That is, self-inflicted violence.

The remaining higher percentage of firearm related deaths in the US are accidental discharges. That is someone not paying attention while handling a loaded firearm, children playing with them (due to inattentiveness of their guardians), dropping a loaded firearm, firearms discharging during the line of work (not that cops or soldiers ever make mistakes :rolleyes: ) and various & sundry ways a firearm can discharge without intent.

Which leaves the remaining 2.3% of firearm related deaths in the US to be intentional gun violence.

You are a fear-monger and a pot-stirrer. I would call you what I feel you are, but I try to refrain from personal attacks. :D

Deaths from firearms per 100,000

Australia........................3.05
Canada..........................4.08
Czech Republic................2.00
Costa Rica......................4.47
Germany........................1.47
New Zealand...................2.97
Peru..............................1.18
Poland...........................0.44
Spain.............................1.01
UK.................................0.57

United States..................14.05

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
You are a fear-monger and a pot-stirrer. I would call you what I feel you are, but I try to refrain from personal attacks. :D

It's never stopped you in the past!

People in these other countries do not commit suicide?

What exactly do you base this attitude upon?

In every instance that I know of where a state, or even a city, has imposed strict anti gun laws, quite the opposite of your assumption has been the case. Violent crimes, involving firearms have SKYROCKETED!

Now the argument would probably then lead you to say something like, "well if guns were banned from the earth, then gun violence would be smaller, on a per capita basis." I don't think there's any arguing that. If all the guns in the world were not around, then world gun violence numbers would be lower. That's a given...but that's also not reality.

Since you are so quick to tell others what to do and how to live their lives, why don't you try this on for size. Instead of telling people they shouldn't have a power, just because of YOUR ideology, why don't YOU go out and get the power everybody else has?...Oh, wait...your government doesn't allow you that right, does it?

I consider you nothing more than a talking head for the people that RULE YOU! You may think that you are more advanced than us as a culture, and that we should all just shut up and do as you say, but, frankly, you and your opinions you try and force upon me/us mean nothing to me/us.

Now come over here and try and impose your beliefs by force, which wouldn't be possible since you don't own a gun and I do, and you'll see exactly why we Americans wish to continue to keep our right to bear arms.

See you're all talk and no action, and we all know it because we know from what position of power you come from. Therefore, we don't respect your opinion, and will never willingly give you the power we enjoy. We're not being aggressive because we have guns, as suggested may happen to people that posess the power of a gun, we just laugh at you because you have so easily given up one your most powerful rights as a person and citizen, without a second thought, and now want US to do the same. LOL.

Yes, that's me and millions of other armed citizens that are laughing at you.

WOAH!!!

Please tell me that you aren't the average american. I have been to the US many times, but I don't think I've ever been lectured quite like that. I have always found the guys from the US to be intelligent, articulate people.

"We're not being aggressive because we have guns, as suggested may happen to people that posess the power of a gun, we just laugh at you because you have so easily given up one your most powerful rights as a person and citizen, without a second thought, and now want US to do the same."

YEE HAW!!!

I didn't realise that you guys laughed at us so much... It must be part of our "special relationship"...

Oh, wait...hmmm...no point, you wouldn't understand.

"See you're all talk and no action, and we all know it because we know from what position of power you come from. Therefore, we don't respect your opinion, and will never willingly give you the power we enjoy. "

Christ a fuckin' live you're more opinionated than I am...

"See you're all talk and no action,"

What the FUCK are you talking about? You see, here in England where I was brung up, we try to make a point, not shout bollocks from the highest point hoping it will drown out reason.

"Therefore, we don't respect your opinion, and will never willingly give you the power we enjoy."

Why do you continually insult my opinion - as that is all it is... Does it scare you in some way. Do you feel threatened by reason?

Just a suggestion - go back to debating school, make a valid. reasoned point, backed by logic, and then we'll have a chat.

Deal?

Maybe some of those European Union countries are such paradises that all personal problems are inconsequential...

Or a reasonable guess would be that they don't use guns to act.

Still doesn't mean guns should be banned...you have no more right to tell someone how they can die, than I do to tell a bird how it can fly!

Jimmy...we both know you're a gold-plated liberal asshole ;)

It's never stopped you in the past!

People in these other countries do not commit suicide?

Deaths from firearms per 100,000

Australia........................3.05
Canada..........................4.08
Czech Republic................2.00
Costa Rica......................4.47
Germany........................1.47
New Zealand...................2.97
Peru..............................1.18
Poland...........................0.44
Spain.............................1.01
UK.................................0.57

United States..................14.05

Maybe you are missing my point. According to a Reuters article the gun to person rate in the U.S. is 90,000 per 100,000. That's not a typo. There are 9 guns for every 10 people in the U.S. Your statistics negate the logical fact that if you have more of something, anything, you will also have more of the negative effects of whatever "thing" you are focusing on.

There are roughly 270,000,000 guns in the U.S.

There are roughly 32,000 deaths that are attributed to firearms use for murder and suicide each year.

There are roughly 2,500,000 to 3,500,000 instances where a firearm was used in defensive situations each year to end a violent, or potentially violent confrontation.

Sure we must take some "bad" with the "good" but are you really so obsessed with your beliefs that you will ignore the facts?

Even if you are, you know what, that's your right. I'm certainly not going to change your view with a few numbers that we both know can be manipulated to either of ours advantage. The only real problem I have with your view point is that you are trying to FORCE it upon others. If you don't want to own a gun, fine, don't own a gun, just don't try and tell me and 100,000,000 others what to do. That's not how a FREE and Democratic Republic works.

Graham,

Even though I have no common sense, it tells me to get out of here as well.

All I want is peace and this thread just seems to fan the flames of anger.

Partly my fault for responding to the talk of God in the initial post, but for what its worth as a practising Christian (and having to do a lot of practising as I'm not very good at it) he does come into everything.

At least it bought some happiness to you.

P.S. It's average.

Nick - keep banging your drum mate, as will I. I'm an atheist, as I've said on here before, but we always seem to be on the same side :)

Oh, and Jim, if you're online - keep doing what you do, If you go dark, then there are fewer left to fight the cause for common sense!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mike

Using your numbers, on average each and every gun in the US is used between 9.25 and 12.9 times a year to end a violent or potentially violent situation.

You are going to have to prove that!

Mike

Using your numbers, on average each and every gun in the US is used between 9.25 and 12.9 times a year to end a violent or potentially violent situation.

FUCKADOODLEDOO Jim....

I haven't used my knob that much this year.......that's a lot of mini explosions I'm missing out on....so, where do I get me a gun :)

Oh, hang on - I'm fundamentally against firearms in general use... I'll have to have a wank instead :):):)

Far be it from me to be assumptive...but I believe you mean gun use 9.25 and 12.95 times a day PER YEAR to end a violent or potentially violent situation.

To whit...I actually believe that number to be much HIGHER. There are something around 1000 cities with a population of 500,000 or higher in the US. With the average number of calls for police intervention in violent offenses to be between 15-150 PER city PER day (depending on population and area of the country)...what is hard to believe that 9-12 civilians PER DAY used force via gun to prevent their own victimization?

Every gun is not used every day, don't make ridiculous points if you want someone to answer you seriously. What kind of asinine assumption is that all 270,000,000 firearms are used throughout the course of the year?

The premise that I was working under was the 2.5-3.5 million uses of guns in crime prevention by civilians?

Mike

Last edited:
WOAH!!!

Why do you continually insult my opinion - as that is all it is... Does it scare you in some way. Do you feel threatened by reason?

Just a suggestion - go back to debating school, make a valid. reasoned point, backed by logic, and then we'll have a chat.

Deal?

I continually attack your opinion because I am above taking an argument into the name calling arena. (1st rule of debate class, you call someone a name you lose...)Opinions are precisely what we are discussing here.
Am I threatened by your opinion,? As I said, I couldn't care less what your opinion is, until you try and force it upon me and my fellow countrymen. Then I'll tell you what my opinion is, which is for you to take your opinion and piss off!

If you think I'm not the typical American, wait till November 3rd. Us "typical Americans" are going to take back this country. The populus was pissed at that idiot Bush and voted for a "change", only problem for the Dems is that they couldn't see the forest for the trees and thought that the last elections gave them the go ahead to roll over peoples rights. The fact that the population was pissed at the establishment is why we have this dufuss of a president, but REAL change is coming. I only hope that we don't vote in idiots of the caliber of the current president just to spite the previous, irresponsible representatives. If we do, we may very well end up like Britain...yuk!

Last edited:
Mike

Um, am I missing something?

I stated that there are 270 million guns in the U.S.

If each one was used even 9.25 times per year to...that would come to 2,497,000,000.

Huh?

Last edited:
I continually attack your opinion because I am above taking an argument into the name calling arena. (1st rule of debate class, you call someone a name you lose...)Opinions are precisely what we are discussing here.
Am I threatened by your opinion,? As I said, I couldn't care less what your opinion is, until you try and force it upon me and my fellow countrymen. Then I'll tell you what my opinion is, which is for you to take your opinion and piss off!

If you think I'm not the typical American, wait till November 3rd. Us "typical Americans" are going to take back this country. The populus was pissed at that idiot Bush and voted for a "change", only problem for the Dems is that they couldn't see the forest for the trees and thought that the last elections give them the go ahead to roll over peoples rights. The fact that the population was pissed at the establishment is why we have this dufuss of a president, but REAL change is coming. I only hope that we don't vote in idiots of the caliber of the current president just to spite the previous, irresponsible representatives. If we do, we may very well end up like Britain...yuk!

Ah, but I could wax lyrical about Britain Mike.. Its beautiful countryside, its rolling hills, Its peaceful hamlets and its shitty weather. Its wonderfully diverse populace, it's cosmopolitan outlook on life, it's general Joie de Vivre.

See, I have never moaned about the US - far from it, I love the US and it's people and its friendliness.

Why do you consistently slag off where I live?

Is it because you are a Morlock (look it up, H.G Wells is a clue)?

Am I threatened by your opinion,? As I said, I couldn't care less what your opinion is, until you try and force it upon me and my fellow countrymen. QUOTE]

Oh Mike...

If you don't care what my opinion is then why are you even bothering. All intelligent people know that in order to debate properly, one must first attempt to understand the others position, thereby attemping to gain an advantage within the debate through that knowledge, in order to use said knowledge as leverage for one's own argument...

I'm afraid it's back to debating school for you...

P.S don't worry, I lOVE the sound of my own voice too! :)

Ah, but I could wax lyrical about Britain Mike.. Its beautiful countryside, its rolling hills, Its peaceful hamlets and its shitty weather. Its wonderfully diverse populace, it's cosmopolitan outlook on life, it's general Joie de Vivre.

See, I have never moaned about the US - far from it, I love the US and it's people and its friendliness.

Why do you consistently slag off where I live?

Is it because you are a Morlock (look it up, H.G Wells is a clue)?

You forgot...the food pretty much sucks too, but that's just my personal opinion.:)

Here's the difference between what I wrote about Britain, and what you wrote about the U.S.

You said the U.S. would be a better country with a lower death by gun rate if we just banned guns like Britain. See you are TELLING US WHAT TO DO.

Whereas, all I said was that I didn't want to be like Britain and will do everything I can to learn from what I consider to be a mistake by Britain, as far as their citizens rights are concerned.

See the difference? Except for the tongue in cheek part where I told you to go out and get a gun yourself, I haven't told you you should do a darn thing. Again, if you like living under the peoples thumb that rule you, great, whatever. All I'm saying is that it's not for me. You do whatever it is that makes you happy... Oh, wait, do you have that right? Maybe that's just an American thing also? Whatever. It's been fun chatting. I'll leave the rest of the problems of the world to you guys to solve here on this forum. :)

Maybe the Isreali-Palestinian conflict should be the next topic? That's always a hoot!

Nick - keep banging your drum mate, as will I.

Graham,

Would like to as in a way stopping is a bit sheepish, but "some men you just can't reach".

I'm not sure if I am a sheep as I seem to have done a lot of things that the first post claims makes you a sheepdog. My mum had quite a few sheep, they can "surprise you".

If I am a sheep I think I take after this one against what is obviously a US Rottweiler sheep dog.

YouTube - Scary Sheep

Prefer Welsh collies myself, renowned for their intelligence.

Last edited:
I have to laugh.

It's not enough to have a political discussion about gun rights/control, but somehow Jesus and the existance of God gets dragged in too. Penis size next?

You guys are too funny.

Ron,

I have an industry standard 6.5" dick. It aint the greatest, but I'm relatively happy with it.

You?

Back