Shelby Museum GT 40

Chuck

Supporter
A visit to the Caroll Shelby Museum in Boulder, Colorado provided a wealth of information and inspiration. Seeing original GT 40s, including a Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and Mark IV, provided some useful information. Following are a few observations.

1. The air intake vents on the Mark I for the engine air had screens on the inside edge. On one care it was fine mesh, on the other is was a coarse mesh. Rather than attempting to put air filters on top of each of those Weber carbs, why not put filter material on the inside of the air intake vent? One would need a good seal between the cold box and the clip, but perhaps this would avoid the problems with the air – fuel mixture that air filters on the Weber’s cause.

1_Air_Intake_Screen.jpg

2. The GT 40s all had windshield washer nozzles. The ‘washer’ switch was plainly visible among the row of toggles. It would seem that a windshield washer is indeed an authentic detail.

3. We seem to obsess with installing the headlights and driving lights without any screws showing from the outside. In fact on one car the headlights had two screw plainly visible on the upper left and right side of the lamps and on another four screws were visible in each corner of the light. The driving lights also have screws visible on either side.

1_Headlight_screws.jpg

4. On several cars the headlight and driving lamp covers were held in place with rivets. Others used small silver colored phillips type screws. There did not appear to any real consistency in the number of screws or rivets from once car to another. Same for the fasteners used to hold the side windows in place.

5. Two of the GT 40s have “Simpson” style harnesses.

1_Simpson_belts.jpg

6. Here is an interesting detail. We have all seen the fender mounted rear view mirrors. I was not aware, however, that rear view mirrors were mounted inside on the forward portion of the door.

Attachments

• Air Intake Screen.jpg
    Air Intake Screen.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 654
  • Headlight screws.jpg
    Headlight screws.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 610
  • Simpson belts.jpg
    Simpson belts.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 600
  • Rear view mirror inside.jpg
    Rear view mirror inside.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Chuck. I'll have to visit that museum in CO. Didn't know it was there. Ranger Jim

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Chuck,

Many of those details such as harnesses and mirror are "post factory" additions. The GT40s were always in a state of flux and many have had "improvements" added since first built.

The headlamps always had exposed screws to retain them and yes, the fasteners for the lenses and side windows vary greatly from car to car.

I had a place within a 5 minute walk and saw the cars a lot. You didn't mention the ACs, Cobras, or the Daytona. Did you notice the body molds hanging on the wall?

About the Simpson seat belts....many of the cars are still driven (raced) and of course will need a current race certifed safety restraint. It is a great set up they have there. Located off the diagional highway at Twin Lakes. Only open on Saturday as I remember.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I didn't recall that you spent time here Grady. I spent several years at IBM across the street and never have been in the museum. Need to put that on my calendar soon!

I didn't recall that you spent time here Grady. I spent several years at IBM across the street and never have been in the museum. Need to put that on my calendar soon!

Owned a condo at twin lakes....son got his Phd in Chemistry/Biology at CU. The musem isn't anything you'd be expecting to see in Boulder. Bill Murray has a hand in the place. Here is a link to the Boulder paper and some photos. I have a bunch more.

Shelby American Collection of Cars - DailyCamera.com Photogalleries Boulder, CO - www.dailycamera.com

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
why not put filter material on the inside of the air intake vent? One would need a good seal between the cold box and the clip

I had the same thought for my Mk II but for a different reason: to be able to run "correct" clear plastic velocity stacks on my 4 bbls. I don't think it would be particularly difficult to mount air filters and seal the window tray with some properly deployed soft foam. The issue I haven't resolved to my satisfaction is how to periodically test the whole setup to make sure a dust-carrying leak had not developed.

Hmmm.... white fly-paper to capture and exhibit dust? :huh:

Last edited:

Chuck

Supporter
I posted this thread in 2007. Glad it generated some interest . . . . five and a half years later.

I took a ton of pictures. That visit was before we started our GT, so it was a real kick visiting. Great source for ideas. Highly recommend it to anyone interested in Cobras or GTs.

That's correct. The museum is only open on Saturdays. It's on the other side of town for me so not too far. I visit the place about twice a year so if you need pics, let me know.

Hey Mike, the local Cobra Club usually has a drive to the Shelby American museum every year. It's usually combined with a drive up one of the nearby canyons and a lunch stop somewhere. I'll let you know the date....or if you just want to go up one Saturday.

Back