Side Windows.. Better Idea

G

Unfortunately, I can't get upstairs to my other computer where the price list is since the hardwoods have just been sanded and the first coat of sealer put on them, but as I recall the prices were listed in both AUD and USD. I could be wrong of course and will verify as soon as I can.

I did email Peter Ransom and asked for clarification and, once again, received no response. He must be selling a boat load of cars to ignore customers like that. There were several other items as well that I intended to buy from him. Oh well, you can't force someone to take your money. I just hope the guys buying cars from him don't get the same treatment from him as I have.

I visited Peters factory in february this year. I had a very good impression from him. His customers - about 7 or 8 were there + 4 cars - were all very happy with his support. He seems to be the guy who spends his time in the workshop and not in front of a computer. But I guess it doesn't help you if you get no reply.

I gave DRB a call and spoke with Peter. I asked about the window kit and it sounds like a nice setup. The kit cost is 894 $aus and the acrylic windows are 340 $aus. Peter is going to check to see if the kit will fit a GTD window frame and get back with me. I need to glance at the exchange rates and see what this works out to in $$ U.S.
Daniel

Hi Guys,
Here's another "solution" . This window looks very similar to the picture that Peter posted above but uses the two piece windows hinges from the rear window of a FIAT UNO (
shocked.gif
). They flip the window open about 3 in but can be easily unclipped for complete removal by releasing the stay.If you can get over the initial shock of having a FIAT part on the car they work very well and are almost flush mounted.
grin.gif

Can't post a pic but if someone wants one please email me and I will gladly send.

cheers Dave

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Sorry about the slow reply guys, but Daniel seems to have got the price info anyway. At current exchange rate, the prices would be US$496 for the frame kit & US$189 for the acrylic windows.

BTW, the windows come as 1 piece per side & need to be cut & sanded to fit the thin aluminium frames. I cracked 1 window in the first cutting attempt (used a jigsaw - not a good idea !). Peter Ransom clued me in on cutting - use a diamond blade in an angle grinder. 5 or 6 very light runs & you get a nice clean cut with no stresses to crack anything. I just used a belt sander fixed to the bench for the final trimming, lightly running the window edges across it by hand.

As to size & fit, the following outside dimensions of the frame may provide a guide :

- Height : back bottom corner, vertically to top of frame = 13 3/4"

- Height : front top corner, vertically to bottom of frame = 15 1/8"

- Length along bottom of frame (front point to rear edge alignment) = 32"

- Length along top of frame (between front & rear edge alignments) = 20"

From memory, the raw frames were about 1/4" to 1/2" oversize, so there would be some "fat" there to cater for slightly different door opening sizes.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.
smile.gif

Wow Dave!!
Your mentioning the Fiat Uno window and got me thinking about what vehicles have those type of latches and then it dawned on me. There are companies who custom make sunroofs that seal and are removable. Side removeable windows would be no different then sunroofs. Thank you for the thought. I'm going to check out the sunroof type of fastening.
Daniel

I have been wondering about this idea. You take a standard door and cut it in two at the bottom of the window. You finish off the top of the new short door. Now the car looks like its window is down and it has T-tops. Now add a small frame to the bottom of the window/top with a flat seal. Add four pegs or threaded studs to the bottom of the window/top piece that are pointing down. Now add four matching receiving holes in the top of the door.

When you want to run with the windows and doors on it you just insert the studs through the holes and tighted through the door panel with wingnuts or the like (maybe quarter turn fasteners). When you want to go with the now window t-top option you just loosen the four fasteners per door and take off the top.

Anyone ever do this?

Back