SL-C Custom Kooks Exhaust Headers Now Available

This is basically a copy/paste from my post in the "SL-C exhaust options" thread. I just wanted to bring this up in a new thread for those who may not be following the other thread anymore.

I am currently taking orders for custom headers to fit the SL-C. They will look very similar to the ones shown below that I sell for the GTM. They are all Stainless Steel construction with 1-7/8" primaries and 3" collectors. The price for the headers will be $1059 to fit all LS engines, and $1184 if you want them equipped with an LS7 exhaust flange that matches the LS7 exhaust port shape. I can also have them ceramic coated for an additional cost.

Kooks runs these exhaust systems for me in batches, since this is a very low volume product, so I normally take orders for them until I reach my batch size (ten orders) and then turn the 10 orders in to Kooks. I will try to keep some in stock and on hand, but I can not guarantee that I will always have them in stock, so it would be best to plan ahead if you think you'll need them anytime in the next few months.

I have an order that I just turned in to Kooks this week. I can probably add to that order until the end of next week, so if you'd like to order, now would be the time. You can email me if you're interested in ordering at vraptor "at" midlands "dot" net

I also want to add that as soon as Kooks gets this first batch of them done, one set is being shipped to Fran so that he can come up with what will hopefully be a template for a "Universal" complete exhaust system for the SL-C (with LS engine) and I will be able to take the orders for those. Thanks guys!

exhaustheaders004.jpg

I dunno about this .... you GTM guys are pretty shifty folk :shy:

:D

In your experience (although the ports would be an issue, but that can be addressed later on) would these headers be sufficient for my engine - 502 RHS LS tall deckusing all pro heads, big cam, shooting for a hair under 900hp n/a ... or would they not flow enough? (sorry, I don't know much about exhaust construction, just trying to get as much information as posisble to weigh my options)

Alex,

I'll try to be less shifty on this forum....;)....I think all the body filler dust and fg resin fumes make us GTM-ers that way.:drunk:

You ask a good question.....same question that another fellow SL-C builder is looking into, as he is wanting these headers in 2" primaries, and I still do not have an answer from Kooks if they can do that or not. My expertise in this is not sufficient to answer your question. I just measured the length of the primary tubes for the other fellow, and I can tell you they will be about 23" long 1-7/8" into a 3" collector that is about 5" long. Maybe there is someone here that has an idea if these will support the flow/HP you're looking at? 900hp na isn't exactly the norm, so I'm not going to pretend to know the answer!

Talked w/ my engine builder and he'd indicated I'd need a minimum of 2'' primaries. Drat, oh well - if you guys can do 2'' feel free to update and let me know.

Just got off the phone (again) with Kooks about this. They are going to pull out the fixture on Monday and see if it's possible to fit 2" primaries into the space we're looking at here. All hope is not lost, but he didn't sound very promising either. Just be aware that if they can do it, it will not be at the price I have stated above.

Just got this email from Kooks:

"Kook Jr. said that the 2” should not be a problem. Will let you know about pricing."

I'll keep you posted as soon as I hear back from them....hopefully later on today.

Yes they are equal length. Fran will hopefully have time tomorrow to get some pics to Kooks so that they can see where the potential clearance issues are and then based on that, hopefully they can get some new SL-C fixures made and we'll be set to go on these.

Still no definite yes or no on the 2" primaries.......hopefully we can get all this stuff answered and wrapped up soon.

Cool - btw, if you need somebody to test fit a set feel free to send me one ... I have my plastic block in for mockup purposes :D

plastic2-1.jpg

Alex,

Since you are the inquisitive type, there is a very nice article about exhaust theory that I've used as reference in the past and Howard just posted again on the SLC exhaust option thread:

Auto Exhaust Science

Doc

Well, things have not worked out as I planned for this. When I started this thread Kooks had agreed that I could include the SL-C header orders in with my GTM header/system orders so that I would only have to have 10 total GTM/SL-C orders at a time to make a run of these. Now they tell me that I will need to order the SL-C headers in lots of 10 and can not group them in with my GTM orders. Getting the "prototype/pattern" headers made to specifically fit the SL-C took a bit longer than expected and as of this morning, Kooks tells me that there will be a significant fixturing fee to set up to do these headers.

So.....now that all the difficult work is done, I'm bringing this back up to gauge interest and see how long it may take to get 10 confirmed orders for these headers. My ultimate goal would still be to come up with a 100% complete exhaust system that will fit the vast majority of SL-C LS builds. Please reply to this thread if this is something you would be interested in. Thanks!

Thanks Doc! I greatly appreciate your understanding and patience thru this whole process! I never thought something so simple could become so complicated and take this long!!!

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
Shane,

What kind of curb weights do your GTMs come out to? I'm talkin no frills..hardcore Viper ACR/Mosler style...no AC radio, GPS, even power steering. Down near 2300lbs dry? Love the two tone tungsten with dark red.

Shane,

What kind of curb weights do your GTMs come out to? I'm talkin no frills..hardcore Viper ACR/Mosler style...no AC radio, GPS, even power steering. Down near 2300lbs dry? Love the two tone tungsten with dark red.

I imagine you could be close to that. I've only run one across the scale and it came it at 2520 with lots of sound deadener, stereo, AC, carpet. I imagine you could get one down to 2400 easy enough if you really watch what you put on (or take out).

Back