SLC Aftermarket Seat Option

Nothing wrong with the RCR seats Ken. They are derived from a racing seat and practical. Most of the SL-C owners make quite a few personal deviations from the standard build, and a more elegant interior tops the list in the seat department.
Basically, individual taste.

^ agreed. The only "problem" ergonomics wise I have found is if e-brake handle is in the middle. The wing makes it hard to pull up the handle. Easy fix though, don't put handle in middle or cut wings off before upholstery. Other than that, they are very comfortable and obviously fit the car. I just have to be different is my problem. :)
Another possible, is the cost of custom upholstering the seats. It could be more expensive than other seats that could be purchased fully upholstered depending on taste. For race car, put in some pads and go!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
This is both an interesting and puzzling thread for a rookie. It is easy to see that virtually everyone commenting here has put both a lot of thought and research into the seat issue. I wish everyone who has commented here would post a few sentences explaining what exactly they feel is wrong with the seats offered by RCR for the superlite. How about it guys? Enlighten me.

Nothing "wrong" with the RCR seats, other than they are bare fiberglass shells. The cost of getting them upholstered is about the same or more than just buying ready made, already upholstered seats.

There is also the issue of finding an upholsterer to do the work. I took my seats to a guy that I had good recommendations on, and I finally went back and picked up my bare seats after he had them for 7 months and hadn't even started on them. I've heard it said about painters, "you can find a good one or a reliable one." I guess it's also true about upholsterers.

The new style seats fit well and they look good in the car, so I am going to try to get some estimates from a couple other upholstery places before I give up on the RCR seats, but it'd be good to have some backup options.

Nothing "wrong" with the RCR seats, other than they are bare fiberglass shells. The cost of getting them upholstered is about the same or more than just buying ready made, already upholstered seats.

There is also the issue of finding an upholsterer to do the work. I took my seats to a guy that I had good recommendations on, and I finally went back and picked up my bare seats after he had them for 7 months and hadn't even started on them. I've heard it said about painters, "you can find a good one or a reliable one." I guess it's also true about upholsterers.

The new style seats fit well and they look good in the car, so I am going to try to get some estimates from a couple other upholstery places before I give up on the RCR seats, but it'd be good to have some backup options.

I know it's a bit of a drive, but you should call Steve Kurzman at The Custom Stitching Co, in Charlotte, NC for high quality upholstery work at reasonable prices. I can promise you that you won't be sorry.

For Body and Paint, call Tony Kutas at Dents Charlotte. Tony does Beautiful work and comes in around 30% less than other shops in the area.

Both of these shops have experience with component cars. They did my GTM and Bill Phillips' SLC.

Mike

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Obviously the base would have to be removed

Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Polaris Slingshot | 800-538-7035

Corbin-Slingshot-2015.jpg

9c1bf581-273e-4de0-8452-7ec38a52d292.jpg

All you folks and your fancy seats...

I'm not sure how you guys are getting in and out of the car without stepping on the seats but I've all but gone through my yoga mats on the drivers side getting in and out as much as I have. Hope that's some tough materials, y'all have!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
LOL, I can't figure out how to get in/out without stepping on the seats either. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make/buy a small mat for each side to place on the seat for entry and exit.

LOL, I can't figure out how to get in/out without stepping on the seats either. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make/buy a small mat for each side to place on the seat for entry and exit.

Apparently you haven't been introduced to the "SLC dance". :)

I can get in my car with a large steering wheel that is non-removable, without having to step on the seats. I don't even bother to put the steering wheel all the way up with the electric adjuster.

It does involve a little contortion, but if even a Certified Old Guy(tm) can do it, you probably can too.

Stepping in the area between the seat rail and the door is the first start, and putting a mat there, or planning for carpet for that purpose is a great idea.

For me, getting out is a little harder.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Stepping in the area between the seat rail and the door is the first start, and putting a mat there, or planning for carpet for that purpose is a great idea.

For me, getting out is a little harder.

Well, that won't work for me. The area between the seat and the door is filled with the side intrusion bars.

Ya. I have not figured out a smooth way of entering and exiting myself. I keep trying different ways and I appear to be getting worse at it. Hahaha
Does the bar help Pete? I was thinking side intrusion bars myself, but shape them to possibly help you enter more smoothly if you could sit and twist on it.

Upholsterers do earn their reputation. I even went as far as hiring the same guy who has done a few of Leno's cars. Thinking he'd be professional and on task. Well, obviously being no Leno I got the same service as just about any other shop. 11 mos. to finish parts I carried into the shop for turn around. Next project, I did as many of you are talking, called Cobra and got great quality seats from over seas in 2 weeks. CF cross stitched leather and expedient.

Saying this, I really do hope to run Fran's seats in the GTR.

Mine is filled with a fire extinguisher.

I mounted the extinguisher up on the rear. I have plenty of room to step and stand next to the drivers seat and then drop into place. I have noticed that my passenger seat (your drivers seat) is closer to the sill and thus harder to enter the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 324

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All
For my 40 I started with Mazda MX5 Miata seats and recessed along the left and right side of the seat pan to fit semi standard Toyota adjustable rails which allow the seats to slide forward and back and also allow the backrest to be reclined as required to suit my driving position.

The standard upholstery was then shaved and recut to suit my prosperous butt and also had an inflatable Lumbar support fitted into the backrest.

The adjustability was required to suit any size of driver that would be driving my car (read wife with short legs).

The small size and shape of the Mazda seats were,in my opinion, perfect for the 40.
I have driven my car for 1000Km's at one stretch and did not have any problem with the seating comfort.

The bonus was that I only paid $140-00 for the pair on Ebay.

Dimi.

Back