SLC Aftermarket Seat Option

We are going to make the first from fiberglass, then try our hand at resin infused CF.
We'll post pics in a week or two. Have a first class plug to work with, thanks Wayne!

Hi Gents,
Refer back to post #79 on this thread. Wayne and I are about ready to complete the mold for ours. Gain a lot of hip room from the standard seats on which this is based.
Just sayin!

Jack I've been watching to see what you guy's come up with. They still have to much bolster for me. The door and the console will be all the bolster I need LOL.

Grant,
To much bolster? OMG! Check out the second pic on post 84. I removed almost all of the stock bolsters. The little bit I added back I flared out, providing much more room. I'm 5'10" with a small frame and felt like I was in a NASCAR style seat. I added the hump between the legs to help keep me in the seat (it looks really good too). Having a bad back, I was unable to get out of seat then exit the car. Now I can swivel my legs out easily and my right tricep doesn't hit the shoulder bolster when shifting. I am very pleased with the outcome of the plug.
I planned on the tillet B5's, but my seat is very close in measurements for a fraction of the price. If we are successful with cf, any slight difference will be hardly noticeable.

I was able to find some time to get in the shop. The plug is polished and 10 coats of wax. Now a some PVA and the mold will begin.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 396
Thanks Dave.
I laid up the first layer of fiberglass last night. I will experiment with bagging with a couple of smaller parts (maybe my front fender vents) first, then do the seats this way. Eventually I want to learn vacuum infusion and CF. Wet wet wet is all I know.:thumbsdown:

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
There's definitely nothing wrong with a wet lay-up for a mold - especially if you layed down a single layer to start to minimize air bubbles like you did. I'm new to vacuum bagging but so far I'm amazed at how well it works - no air bubbles, reduced resin weight, and it forces the fiberglass to conform to every curve. Good luck and I'm anxious to see your finished product!

Dave L

Thanks Dave.
I laid up the first layer of fiberglass last night. I will experiment with bagging with a couple of smaller parts (maybe my front fender vents) first, then do the seats this way. Eventually I want to learn vacuum infusion and CF. Wet wet wet is all I know.:thumbsdown:

That is a great looking seat! Put me on the list for one if you decide to offer a few to the group. I would even tell you if you get one that isn't good enough for a street car, let me know. My race car won't mind a few imperfections.

Nice work. I might also be interested. Currently exploring Tillett B4, B5 or Elise/Exige seats, though those get sucked up quickly by the Miata crowd and the Tilletts are not exactly cheap...

Tim

Thanks for the interest, but I don't want to get into the composite business and wouldn't step on Fran. I'm sure his new seat is a lot nicer then mine anyway. I have about 40 hrs in the plug and to recoup some of the cost would drive price up.
Dean my first seat probably won't meet the standards of a street seat so I'll keep you in mind.

The new seats are an upgrade option and available at a reduced cost to current owners....
They are as nice ,if not nicer quality than Tillets....imho...but wider and less enveloping, and available in two widths.

Last edited:
They are not going to be available until the new year though...and probably the second week of Jan. at the earliest.

I am going to send one and have it tested for certification and will be selling them as an aftermarket seat into the open market too....:thumbsup:

Back