SLC Aftermarket Seat Option

I think the new SLC seats look perfect. Get them trimmed out really nice and they will look the part. Also helps that Fran designed them specifically for the car.

Do those seats fit with the doors closed?

Do you have the optional door panels?

It looks to me like the wings are too wide, and might be hitting the doors, especially with the optional door panels.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The Spec-D seats were nice and they fit, but one of them had a tear in the vinyl and they didn't provide enough head room for a helmet. I thought about using them and keeping the stock seats if I do a track day, but I ended up sending them back.

Instead, I ordered a Kirkey kart seat:https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/10/21500/SEAT-ALUMINUM-16-HIGH-BACK-KART. I test fitted it today - perfect! Plenty of head room, it's narrow enough to center on the steering wheel, and there's room in front of the seat to step into the car without stepping on the seat.

The seat covers are on back order, so I won't get them for a couple weeks. I'll post pics after I get them and get the seats installed.

We have used these seats multiple times. It is real important that you fit properly. If the side of the seat is too tall for a driver or if the chest is too narrow they are miserable. For folks that have a local race shop - go try them out if you are thinking about these or something similar. Most shops catering to dirt cars or karts will have some sizes in stock.

The price is right and you can have a street seat and a track (halo) seat that can swap in 10 minutes.

The Spec-D seats were nice and they fit, but one of them had a tear in the vinyl and they didn't provide enough head room for a helmet. I thought about using them and keeping the stock seats if I do a track day, but I ended up sending them back.

Instead, I ordered a Kirkey kart seat:https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/10/21500/SEAT-ALUMINUM-16-HIGH-BACK-KART. I test fitted it today - perfect! Plenty of head room, it's narrow enough to center on the steering wheel, and there's room in front of the seat to step into the car without stepping on the seat.

The seat covers are on back order, so I won't get them for a couple weeks. I'll post pics after I get them and get the seats installed.

I have also raced in the Kirkey seats a ton of times. I am not a huge fan of the fitment and long term comfort. I do think if you got a size that is like 1" larger and then used the foam seat insert it could be something that would really support you. I currently have an OMP HTER-400 and really like that. I would think it would not fit. Now when I did get the seat I sat in multiple seats at OG racing for a good 1-2 hours until I decided. I would think we could cut the wing side a bit and overall height if needed to fit a good seat in the SLC. I still might do that when I get to that point.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Troy, the wings aren't the issue, it's the seat back angle. You have to have a seat with about 40 degree playback in order to have any headroom. I tried a Corbeau Forza Sport seat and it fit in the car, however, the seat angle was too vertical for my head to fit. I was bummed it wouldn't work because it's a really nice seat.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Still waiting for the covers, but got the seats mostly installed. I'm happy with them - more room than the stock seats and I was able to better center the drivers seat on the steering wheel.

Thinking our loud, other small cars,

-370Z seats
-Alpha 4C definitely small and not high as far as I can tell.

- S2000 Bride makes few different seats
http://image.modified.com/f/17369497/0712_sccp_09_z%2B2001_honda_s2000%2Bseats.jpg

- Recaro RX-8 R3 seats, definitely look narrow, appear to not have a tall base as well. http://image.superstreetonline.com/..._o+2009_mazda_rx-8_r3+recaro_bucket_seats.jpg

- Recaro RX-8 Sportster CS seats front are similar
http://image.superstreetonline.com/...0+st0/1303-modp-08-o+2005-mazda-rx-8-gt+seats
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/interior/seat_recaro_sportster_cs_size_chart.jpg

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I've got my Kirkey seats bolted directly to the floor, so with the covers on, my butt is no more than 1/2" off the floor. I'm 5'10" and with a helmet on, I still only have about 1/2" clearance with the roof. If you don't ever plan on driving the car with a helmet on, (or you're a short guy), a seat with a traditional type base can work. The Spec-D seats I tried above would work fine for a street only car.

I'm looking at the MOMO Daytona Evo 34 tall, 22 at the shoulder 15 wide, I need a full containment seat and this looks like it should work well for me. But I'm only 5'6
They make a xl seat 16 wide

My problem with the stock seats is that the bottom is fine (actually have a little wiggle room) but my shoulders are about 4" too wide. Wish I could take the top of the gentleman's seat and the bottom of the regular one. It's like shopping for clothes when you have a 15" chest to waist taper. Hard to find anything that fits

James I agree with you. I am thinking about using a Tillet B5 type seat padding in the hopes that it will move my back out of the seat a little where the wings are a little wider.

Has anybody looked at options for using the pour in / bag style foam insert kits? Either with the gentleman's seat if you are smaller like myself or with a different seat shell.

I do not know about SCCA or NASA rules or reg's but what about building a seat shell and build it in to the interour something like a single seater or like a bench style would be done. This would allow you to fit it to yourself or give it a general shape and allow you to adjust how it positions inside of the car.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Has anybody looked at options for using the pour in / bag style foam insert kits? Either with the gentleman's seat if you are smaller like myself or with a different seat shell.

I do not know about SCCA or NASA rules or reg's but what about building a seat shell and build it in to the interour something like a single seater or like a bench style would be done. This would allow you to fit it to yourself or give it a general shape and allow you to adjust how it positions inside of the car.

I have poured a seat and then had it covered. That is a great idea.:thumbsup:
I have been working with development of a seat... just kill me. It has been an uphill battle that I have given up on.

Back