SLC Build Thread-Chassis #53

Thanks

Getting close.

photobucket-32191-1330813380535.jpg

photobucket-1879-1330813440874.jpg

Roberto, are you using the stock as provided shifter with the Ricardo or a Ford GT shifter?

That's the stock one. I don't see what the point would be to jery-rig the stock FGT to fit, or the short throw (especially since the short throw has apparently known to grenade the transaxles)

Hi Ken,

Yes, that's the stock shifter that came with my kit. I believe it's a Brantwood. I thought about going to the FGT shifter, but didn't think it was worth measuring and ordering custom cables and dealing with fitting everything up from scratch. The Brantwood shifts perfectly in Allan's car, and if my memory serves me, I believe the 01 race car uses the Brantwood shifter.

Were your cables long enough Roberto? Will mentioned that another 3/4" would have been ideal.

It depends on how you decide to route the cables whether they will be long enough. For my deal, I ordered m6 threaded rod and coupling nuts from Mcmaster to allow the flexibility of routing them how I wanted and to fine tune the shifting action.

At first I was not happy that I needed to slightly extend them, but after thinking about it some more, the threaded rod/coupling nut is a better solution than the cables being too long. As I stated, it allows much more routing flexibility and the ability to fine tune the shifting action.

At 2nd glance, I don't think Fran should lengthen the cables.

Jim at Brandwood is willing to exchange cables once, if anyone needs longer or shorter cables than we provide...so long as the original is returned to him in "as new" condition first....(he does not cover the shipping though....just an FYI.)..

The cables we provide are certainly more than long enough...but customers requirements vary..

Hello Roberto,
I've seen the Alum coil brackets but where exactly did you mount them, as its hard tell in the pic. I would like to go remote as well, as I prefer a clean look so long as I can keep the heat away from them.
Cheers,

BTW: For clarity - the overall length of the cable assembly on Roberto's car was not in question, that was fine. But, the length of the "inner" cable relative to the cable housing was a little too short and that is where the challenge was. Adding threaded extensions to the end of the already threaded end of the inner cable allows for the threaded cable end to reach the shifter arms on the Ricardo - otherwise they were too short.

That's the stock one. I don't see what the point would be to jery-rig the stock FGT to fit, or the short throw (especially since the short throw has apparently known to grenade the transaxles)

Sorry Alex,
But what a crock - that a "short" shifter can grenade a gearbox. If the logic is that it changes gears too fast then Oh, Boy the operator better not move his hand on the stock shifter too fast .... I'd really have to read the exact explanation for anyone to convince me that a quick shifter on it's own could do anything the like. Do you have a link - I'd be interested in reading up on it.

The short/quick shifter has been proven to destroy synchros...which are not available as replacements...same happens in some Porsche transaxles too.

Howard...call up Jim at Brandwood and ask him about exchanging the cable..let him know its an RCR supplied shifter....must be as new condition though so he can reuse it, they are expensive.

So the logic is that it changes gears too fast then? That being the case any operator with a standard Ricardo shifter could in theroy shift his car "too fast" and destroy the syncros just the same. The short shifter then just makes it "easier" to do so. Correct?

Hello Roberto,
I've seen the Alum coil brackets but where exactly did you mount them, as its hard tell in the pic. I would like to go remote as well, as I prefer a clean look so long as I can keep the heat away from them.
Cheers,

The best picture I have is the first one in post 161. Its on the diagonal bar that runs parallel to the headers. I will take more pix tomorrow.

Samething go's with paddle shifters, I would have liked to have gone that way but Fran said not with the Ricardo, eats them up :(

Back