SLC Build Thread-Chassis #53

you're probably too far into it now, but dailey engineering makes some really nice compact dry sump stuff with different configurations, and great to work with.

Dry Sump Oil Pumps

Thanks. Trust me, I bothered Bill many times about his kit(s), but I couldn't get the stages I wanted with the particular kit that allowed me to keep my ac compressor and actually fit in the SLC. I even committed to one of this kits (slightly customized) until we realized I couldn't do everything I need to do (keep ac). He makes awesome kits and is great to speak to.

I have a couple of Dailey systems and love them...one of the new LMP1's wil ahve one of the billet pan/integrated pump system installed....

Ricardo, I have an Aviad Dry sump stage 1 on my LS7 which has a/c. Don't know if you have the 7 or another LS motor but we were able to fit everything and the dry sump seems to be working fine. Also if anyone needs a motor builder Lamar Walden builds a good motor for the LS engines and is not too expensive, he also gets it done within a reasonable time period, mine is pushing 625 Hp and has been very reliable. Took him about 2 months to build it.
Bob D

I ended up with a Dailey based dry sump setup afterall, but with an Aviaid billet pan.

AC is left as Fran's original design (slight mod to bracket to clear front scavenge stage in the pan though).

photobucket-46670-1361334115854_zpsf729aea6.jpg

photobucket-4228-1360636780280_zpsdef8ac9e.jpg

6 stage dry sump w/full heat and AC...

photobucket-36456-1361334088041_zpscd1d4d3e.jpg

Thanks Fran.

Here is a pic of the dry sump pump and the AC compressor relationship. All lines are higher than the bottom part of the frame. I'm going to install close out panels under the motor and the damper to protect it from road debris.

photobucket-22023-1362405620212_zpsc512a9ab.jpg

I'm using Borla XR1 Multicore mufflers. For as much as they cost, they are not impressive visually/initial build-quality-wise. I hope they don't disappoint in the sound and performance department.

Everything fits with room to spare. I ran out of bends today, and no one's open on Easter. I just ordered a bunch more and I'll finish the passenger side this week. Once I do the final welding, smoke test it and start it up, I'll send it out for ceramic coating. I'm going to coat it and wrap it in kevlar insulating shielding and use the gold foil on the back side of the rear body as added insurance.

IMG_20130331_171711_530_zpsa61bead3.jpg

IMG_20130331_181921_018_zps0ccc4c5f.jpg

Last edited:
love your build!

i'm a big fan of those xr-1 mufflers, I think they are amazing for the sound and ability to quiet down a healthy motor. take a listen to this one, he's running high 9's now and uses those mufflers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrRa0gqVQ8]95 Camaro LT1 Borla XR1 Race Mufflers - YouTube[/ame]

another one...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSB9qufcRjY]5.3 Jeep w/ Borla XR-1 - YouTube[/ame]

love your build!

i'm a big fan of those xr-1 mufflers, I think they are amazing for the sound and ability to quiet down a healthy motor.

Thanks Merim.

It's hard to get a good gauge of sound attenuation on videos unless there is a before/after with db meter. That Camaro sounds 99% the same as most other race muffler videos. It's a 14:1 static cr so it's going to bark with most exhausts anyway. Also it's the Sportsman xr1 not the Multicore version of the xr1. I believe the Jeep is also the Sportsman.

Here is a video from Borla showing some differences in their muffler design:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz0e4FT-xZU]BORLA Exhaust for the C6 Corvette - YouTube[/ame]

This guy is running 6 of them:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om2ZPDeAo7g]BBC & Borla XR-1 - YouTube[/ame]

Another Corvette vid:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKWxJOFZG6s]corvette borla multicore bullet exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

The noise it makes is ultimately a sum of it's parts with the muffler playing it's role (pretty large role) along with the intake manifold, bore/stroke, cam, headers, etc. I think the x-pipe will dictate the sound it makes almost as much as the muffler, as well as the total exhaust length. I went out of my way to make the x-pipe a reality and get as much length in the system as possible. Each side is ~4 times as long as my previous versions.

If I was building a race car, it would not have been worth the time, cost, and effort.

No matter how it sounds, I'll rest easy knowing not much more can fit in there...though I can fit another pair of mufflers and some tuned length j pipes if it has any drone. ;)

The rest of the noise attenuation exercise will be in cabin sealing and noise blocking. I plan on having bluetooth and the ability to hold phone conversations while driving on the interstate.

I am extremely impressed with what you are/have done with the exhaust. Getting the noise floor down starts there and you are well on your way to accomplishing your goal.

A great target cockpit SPL would be ~65-70db. This puts you in the upper end of normal to loud conversation level. It would be awesome if you had taken some measurements with the prior exhaust for a comparison, but it’s definitely not too late to start. I would be interested in seeing what the numbers are in the cockpit (prior to and after your interior treatments) and some engine idle numbers at maybe 5' or 10' behind your SL-C.

Thank you Vidal. Those are good suggestions. I'll take some measurements with my db meter as the build goes.

PS-nice GTM build. I like how you store the body. Creative ideas.

Thanks Ricardo, didn't know there was a difference on the xr-1s. The ls1 white corvette with the multicore still sounds like an outboard boat engine. I'm thinking you want something better and different. The jeep sounds pretty good, but that's a lot of mufflers.

Thanks Ricardo, didn't know there was a difference on the xr-1s. The ls1 white corvette with the multicore still sounds like an outboard boat engine. I'm thinking you want something better and different. The jeep sounds pretty good, but that's a lot of mufflers.

I agree. We'll see how it goes.

So are you looking at or incorporating tuning tubes/adjustable? Will you have space after the muffler to incorporate? I've seen some pretty impressive home brood resonate chambers that completely change the quality and db of the exhaust. Very good at eliminating the American V8 rumble that some fret over with the LSx engines and the DRONE that no one wants.

Back