SLC Build Thread-Chassis #53

Thanks Grant. I hope to hit 200mph safely one day! I'm looking into some chassis mods to make it legal for the sanctioned mile events in the NE.

I've spoken to Fran and the event organizers over the past year to see what's needed to be legal, what's safe, and then try to come up with my own assessment of what can be streetable/removable/left in since it doesn't affect the streetability.

The problem is I want to keep it a street car that can race vs. a race car that can be driven on the street. It's a difficult balance.

Doing some clutch and drivability testing. Can't keep the AC belt on. I'm definitely pleased with the sound.

R - is the a/c belt issue due to alignment or not being able to get enough tension on the belt. I'll be tackling my compressor/compressor mount installation in the next couple weeks -- Mike

BTW - Nice sound and that engine looks bad a$$

Doing some clutch and drivability testing. Can't keep the AC belt on. I'm definitely pleased with the sound.

I see you still have your hearing ... you're still doing it wrong ;)

Btw, how come you arn't using the air boxes/air filtration setup while on the dyno? Won't they have an impact on the overall tuning?

R - is the a/c belt issue due to alignment or not being able to get enough tension on the belt. I'll be tackling my compressor/compressor mount installation in the next couple weeks -- Mike

I think it's tension. It's only an issue above 6700rpm. The belt stays on below 6700rpm. It pops off when I took the run to 7200rpm. Somewhere in between 6700 and 7200 the belt comes off. Under normal circumstances it seems fine.

For Clarity: I'm not using the RCR AC mount. My setup is custom to accommodate my dry sump setup.

I see you still have your hearing ... you're still doing it wrong ;)

Btw, how come you arn't using the air boxes/air filtration setup while on the dyno? Won't they have an impact on the overall tuning?

They'll be on for the real engine power tuning. Yesterday was a mechanical test.

I did a little tuning done on the dyno tonight-684hp/626tq to the tires.

It's not fully tuned yet.

Awesome!!! Looks like you'll get to the 700hp mark!

I'm surprised no one has given you crap yet for having too much power. :tongue3:

Congrats!

Thanks guys.

I've driven it some in an industrial park... insane. With the cable driven itb's the throttle control is like have traction control. People seem to automatically think that because the SLC is a light car, that it will have traction issues. In fact due to the weight distribution, the car has amazing off the light straight line traction.

I'm not saying it will be a good drag race car and pull 1.3 second 60fts, but it has MUCH better straight line traction than my c6's ever did.

I've driven AllanSLC's car and punched it from a ~5mph roll on a relatively cool day, and the car just hooks and accelerates. Not a peep from the tires.

***He was in the car when I did it and ok'd me to punch it btw. :)

I haven't tried that with my car yet, but I'm confident it will be more controllable than people think.

Too cool! Can you list the current motor specs, or point me to a post if they've already been listed?

JR

Specs:

Built by Erik Koenig of HKE

468ci: 4.250 stroke, 4.185 bore, 11:1 compression
ERL aluminum Superdeck 1 block with stock deck height and 5.8" Darton Sleeves
Callies crank & rods
Wiseco pistons
All Pro LSW ls7 heads ported by WCCH with a custom HKE program- 285cc intake port, titanium 2.250 intake valves: 410cfm @ .700 lift
PSI dual valve springs
HKE specific lobe profile hydraulic roller cam: 265/273 105LSA .750/.750 lift
Morel high rpm limited travel hydraulic lifters
Manton push rods
Custom spec Jesel Rockers
Jenvey LS7 ITB intake manifold w/BBR filter (almost zero power loss)

My exhaust is choking the motor. 3" is too small for the cubes/power level. 4 mufflers, and 48 mandrel bends after the collectors only compound the restriction. I knew it going in, but it is amazingly quiet for what it is.

Back