SLC Coolant Tank Group Buy?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I've taken the concept developed by Rob Mesa, fabricated by Howard Jones and design modified by Will Campbell and developed a CAD file for the tank components. I've also located off-the-shelf fittings to be welded to the tank. The tank components will be waterjet cut from .093" 5052 aluminum and welded by Metals Joining Lab in Bloomington, MN. Fittings will include a billet filler neck (no cap), 5/8" and 3/4" hose barbs (polished aluminum), -4AN male fitting, and 1/4" NPT female fitting all welded in place. The cost will depend on the number made but initial estimate is in the $175 range (to make 1) plus shipping. The cost of the fittings alone is $71.50.

Here is Will's tank: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/378437-post24.html

Here's Rob's installed: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/339158-post281.html

I'd just like to get a feel if there is any interest in a group buy?

Regards,
Dave L

Fran's crew is pre-marking and drilling the location for the GM fuse box. Would the box fit below the coolant tank, or would it need to be moved to a new location?

Metals Joining Lab does fantastic work. They fabricated a custom triple shot portafilter basket for my espresso machine. Gorgeous welding, and fits absolutely spot on.

Attachments

• _MG_4867.JPG
    _MG_4867.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Fran's crew is pre-marking and drilling the location for the GM fuse box. Would the box fit below the coolant tank, or would it need to be moved to a new location?

Metals Joining Lab does fantastic work. They fabricated a custom triple shot portafilter basket for my espresso machine. Gorgeous welding, and fits absolutely spot on.

Ben - Unfortunately, that fuse box location is right where the tank would mount. The box would need to be moved down below the tank, more to the passenger's side, or to another location.

Dave L

I'd be all over that at 175, nice work Dave! This really is the best location for the coolant tank, Ben just put your fuse box in a different location. Easy enough, really.

Thanks guys. Sign me up for one Dave. Is there a particular cap you'll be using?

Steve: I've got a light commercial espresso machine, and a commercial sample roaster (yep, I roast my own coffee). You and Dave are always welcome to drop by for a taste of what real espresso is like. None of that old a$$ skanky stuff from Starfucks or Cariblow allowed in my house.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice work !!!!
I'm in for one. PM me with any details for payment and when you would like it. I'm in no rush, so when ever it is available, please let me know.

Regards Brian

Steve

Supporter
Like the standoff option if it's doable without driving up the cost much. Dave, put me in for one too. I'm a year or more from purchase but in the meantime it'll make a nice cigar ashtray...

Ben, I'm there. Charbucks was never my fav.

Re the standoffs, clearances are tight, so a better solution might just be to use washers to establish the optimum clearance for your car, then fab the appropriate standoffs from tubing or similar pieces.

cut to length aluminum tubing held in-place with washers and long bolts. Just like
Will said! Easiest, cheapest, custom fitted to your SL-C. No need to weld on.

Back