SLC Hubs/ race worthy

Howard Jones

Supporter
I shall report that the SKF-BR930544 fits the Strano C4 to C6 adapter perfectly. The connector would need to be de-pinned, wires fed through the opening provided in the adapter and then reinserted in the connector body if you wanted to use the speed sensor. Otherwise nice tight fit.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I shall report that the SKF-BR930955 fits the Strano C4 to C6 adapter perfectly. The connector would need to be de-pinned, wires fed through the opening provided in the adapter and then reinserted in the connector body if you wanted to use the speed sensor. Otherwise nice tight fit.

I think you meant to say SKF-BR930544. The one you listed is for a ford application. Rock Auto still seems to have the lowest price on it.

SKF BR930544 Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly | RockAuto

Howard Jones

Supporter
I put the fronts all togehther yesterday. It took a bit of finish fitting but in the end it all goes together with a minimum amount of modification.

So first: the first three pictures are of the C7 SKF hub bearing and the Strano adapter and why the C7 won't work. You can see that the barrel of the bearing is too big in diameter to fit down into the adapter.

The next picture is the areas of the upright that need to be removed so that the upright does not interfere with the seating of the adapter.

Then the last ones are the completed assembly with my reused longer 2 1/2" ARP studs and the tool I used to machine the upright. Sort of a "hand" mill but if you are careful it can be done well. If you don't want to tackle this part then remove the upright and take it with all the parts to someone with a mill. You will also note that I cut off the wires/connector as I don't need them.

You can get the adapter from:

Strano Performance Parts - Featured Product

The bearings are: SKF- BR930544 and can be sourced from many vendors. I got mine from Summitt Racing:

Search Results for skf br930544 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

So that should be it for the front of the car.

Attachments

• HPIM2385.JPG
    HPIM2385.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 384
  • HPIM2386.JPG
    HPIM2386.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 442
  • HPIM2387.JPG
    HPIM2387.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 403
  • HPIM2392.JPG
    HPIM2392.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 426
  • HPIM2388.JPG
    HPIM2388.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 412
  • HPIM2389.JPG
    HPIM2389.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 454
  • HPIM2390.JPG
    HPIM2390.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 401
  • HPIM2391.JPG
    HPIM2391.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 405
  • HPIM2380.JPG
    HPIM2380.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Those Strano adapters definitely look beefier than the Dulaney adapters I'm using. One of the benefits to the Dulaney adapters is the built in ears to mount a cooling plate.

The second Gen front uprights using the Dulaney adapters require a lot less shaving (for builders interested in this mod). My finger is pointing to the only two areas that needed slight attention. The finger pointing to the 9 o clock area is just for the wheel speed sensor wires on the hub. The finger pointing to the 12 o clock position is the only relief needed in the upright for the Dulaney adapter. If you use the Strano adapter then this relief will be much larger.

More info on my install can be found here at post #591
Ken's SLC build thread

Attachments

• IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Let me run these down and see what's what.

Update: I called Vetteworks and they sent me to Vansteel who they said is where they came from. The guy on the phone said he couldn't find them in the current catalog but he would ask others and get back to me. That was a couple of days ago. No info yet.

Vansteel

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Wow. Are we sure they are available, some times these kind of special products just dry up. But if I had not already gone with the X tracker solution I have to say I think I would have tried these.

On second look, I can't tell if there is a back side index barrel to locate it on the upright. I think we need that, especially on a slick shod track car. However one call should tell us.

Great find. Moderator, can/should we make this thread sticky?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Sorry Ken, at that point, I (we) were pretty focused on trying to solve the rear. I just missed it. In any case they still look like a good idea if they still are available and have the back side barrel to index them on our upright.

I think if I was building a car now or trying to fix a C4 front hub track car I would look into these.

As far as the initial cost is concerned these are about the same as the adapter/ XTracker option I went with. It's the rebuild cost where they are attractive. The bearings, races and seal are about $110 for both sides where as the two front SKF Xtracker bearings are around $500 total.

I think this is really what we need on the front if they will fit up on our uprights correctly.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The beauty of going with just the X Tracker all around (front and rear) will be the simple fact that you need only one type of spare part.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ken, Ya, and the price of the SKF bearings seam to be coming down and for a one time replacement like on a streetcar then I tend to agree with you. However a guy running a track car could rebuild the Colman things as a time change part and still do it pretty cheaply. Three or four times and you're making money. The rebuildable option also allows for inspection without any real cost except for grease. I really like that.

This thread is all about options. Hopefully in the end we will have addressed the issue to suit everyone's individual requirements from leaving the C4 bearings in place to designing a full on prototype suspension and considerable cost it doing that for the car that needs it.

We should not forget that RCR does offer a complete race suspension package that does address the full on race car requirement.

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Howard, looking at the C4 stub kit, It says the hub maintains stock location, but from what I see, it appears to move the wheel flange inward (which I like) The OEM hub has an outboard push of about 2" between the wheel flange, and the mounting flange. With this stub, it would appear the wheel flange would be adjacent to the mounting flange after everything is assembled. Do you concur?

Howard Jones

Supporter
It's hard to say what the actual dimensions are without having one in hand. I have found some pictures of corvette spindles that mount the C4 hub bearing. It seams Gm changed them a bit over time but they all look like they use the large center hole to locate the bearing body.

Attachments

• s-l1600a.jpg
    s-l1600a.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 355
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 384
  • s-l640a.jpg
    s-l640a.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 372
  • s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg