SLC on Auction in Monterey

In looking at the auction site, it does not state "WITHOUT RESERVE" so the car appears to have a reserve price.....so unless something changes it may not sell.

FYI I just posted this on the ALL GT 40's Thread....looks like the original GT40 market is holding steady....GT40P/1033 just sold for $2,205,000.00

Checked out the link, the car will auction tonight between 7:35 and 7:54. I will be tuned in just to see how many people bid, and the going price, also to see if there is a reserve. I liked Allan's build better.

Please post up results. I will be at a dinner party and won't get to watch it.

Ya I know....and I feel like I need a shower...for the wrong reason....

Hey, we posted just like the auction SOLD,SOLD,SOLD

Kind of sad, I went and visited the shop that built that car while it was under construction. Solid pro build mechanically, of course we all have our tastes when it comes to cosmetics. The "full carbon interior" was uh...half carbon. The "Big Block" as touted by the auction was actually (of course) a very healthy LS7.....

Last edited:
I tuned in right before they dropped the hammer and didn't get to see the whole thing. Somebody got a hell of a deal for $96k but thats the risk of auctions. To those who watched it how did the auctioneer do?

Edit: looks like they didn't do so well

Last edited:
Anybody know how old this car - manuf. date. I'd have to check my mso ser/vin# but I believe the approx. delivery date is in the number sequence "071312" or similar. Was the auctioned car from 2008.

I was getting a pissed off at the way the R&S guy's were rushing the auctioneer.
The closing bids were hurried and the auctions were cut short. There were folks
there that would have gone higher on the SL-C, but auction was ended before it should have, unless the cars were corvettes or muscle cars this seemed to be the norm IMO.

purchased in 2008.....registered in 2010

Heck of a deal for someone but as Jack mentioned the auction seemed pretty rushed....so in that respect the 100k price was actually pretty good for the short "on the block" time that car had.

I think the requirements for phone bidding may have turned many potential bidders away. You had to fill out several forms including bank act. info before noon today, and also be willing to post a $10,000 security bond before you could make a phone bid.

And the bigger bidders will be at the auction tomorrow for the more expensive cars.

John B hits on a good point.....timing is everything at an auction. Where and when the car is placed for sale in the scheme of things is critical and most auction houses know this. As for R&S.....never really been impressed with the way they sell their cars. Little to slick and fast for me.

Yep - never sell your car below 96 large

No, never sell at an auction. That was the worst "cluster fuck", "move as many cars through as possible" with little or no regard for the seller, auction I have ever seen. Barrett Jackson is a little better and Mecum a little better than both. I would sell my car on a street corner before entrusting it to any of those crooks. It's not they quality of the sale, it's moving 1000+ cars at 9% on both ends in 3 days.

No, never sell at an auction. That was the worst "cluster fuck", "move as many cars through as possible" with little or no regard for the seller, auction I have ever seen. Barrett Jackson is a little better and Mecum a little better than both. I would sell my car on a street corner before entrusting it to any of those crooks. It's not they quality of the sale, it's moving 1000+ cars at 9% on both ends in 3 days.

Al, I wouldn't disagree. I cannot stand (and will not watch) the BJ Auction stuff. The smug smiles and snake oil/carnival atmosphere of those guys -- while they charge hundreds of dollars to get a decent sit in the tent and get people hammered with drinks - pisses me off. I guess to some it's pure entertainment. When I was young used to go to bank repo auctions to buy and turn cars, and I thought they were crooked.... pure amateurs compared to what I see today.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
... That was the worst "cluster fuck", "move as many cars through as possible" with little or no regard for the seller, auction I have ever seen. .

That's for sure. What I can't figure out is how that's necessarily in the best interest of the auction house. Seems to me by rushing things they're just artificially truncated the sales price and therefore their commission in exactly equal proportions. The apparently feel they have to get it all done in the three days, and i guess the thinking is they make more money/hr. when the price is rising fast (the first couple minutes) and that once that rate of change tapers off, they should just move on to the next car.

I also don't understand the sequencing of lots. Why not group all the (say) Chevelles together so you get all the Chevelle buyers together and get some real competition going among them? If you did that with more time allowed (go ahead and run the auction 24 hr/day if you have to) I think you would then maximize the price of each lot and still sell all the cars. Am I dreaming again?

Back