SLR at C&C in Cali

Every Saturday 7-9am
7905 gateway blvd
Irvine, CA 92618

always a very eclectic group of cars. Every week is different. One week the Mini club will show up and there will be 30-40 classic Mini's or the Porsche club and so on.

If you go through the pictures in the link there are tons of really nice cars. Makes our little Santana Row thing on Saturdays pale.

The bronze/burnt orange Pantera is to die for.

Looking at those pictures I felt a sense of dejavu....
Turns out I am down there every year in Sept/Oct for Sevenstock. The Mazda North American headquarters is literally right there and it even looks as if it is in their parking lot.

What a great group of cars that show up there. Did anyone see the gold plated engine on the Pantera. I also liked that newer Bentley with some sort of bodykit on it. Both a little over the top but neat nonetheless.

Spectacular Pantera gathering too....

Yup, the final tally was 46 Panteras. The owner of the car with all the gold plating organized it. He just busted his ass to build enthusiasm and convince people that this was a worthwhile endeavor; a convoy of seven cars drove up from San Diego, for instance.

That gold-plated car is definitely not to my taste, but I admire the audacity of the guy who had it built, George Peloquin was his name. He was a jeweler or worked in the industry or something like that. He sunk an enormous amount of money into that car over the many years he owned it (something like $250K?); at one point it was powered by a gold-plated Ford DOHC Indycar engine from the mid-1960s (looked cool but didn't work worth a damn hauling a 3200 pound car around).

George passed away a few years ago and the car eventually wound up on the auction circuit. It was badly marketed and the current owner stole it for a fraction of its expected reserve (now powered by a super-duper fuel-injected 4.6 L modular engine).

Like I said, it's very much not to my taste, but I admire the audacity of it. And the new owner is clearly having a hell of a lot of fun with it too! :thumbsup:

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Mike -

One would have to appreciate all the work that was done to the red Pantera with the top removed.....

My favorite? The Ferrari GTC.

Gents,

Our SL-R made it's California debut there on that day. What a great group of cars and car lovers! I wish I could make it from NM more often.

Bruce

Justin -
He said that 'His' SL-R made it's debut. Not that his was the first in Cali :)
Funny, 'Doug' is a friend of a friend connected by Panteras and Sport bikes and I didnt know he had an SL-R

Justin -
He said that 'His' SL-R made it's debut. Not that his was the first in Cali :)
Funny, 'Doug' is a friend of a friend connected by Panteras and Sport bikes and I didnt know he had an SL-R

Oops! I guess I went full retard there. :embarassed:

"Doug" was up at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill race. We talked about his SL-R for awhile and how it performed on the track.

Back