Smell of Gas Fumes in cabin

I cannot figure out how the heck to get rid of the smell of gas in the cabin. It gags me evertime I take the car out where it ruins my driving experience. Am I missing something? Is there a venting system somewhere that is not venting properly that I can check. Please advise.

Thanks!

Dino

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Dino

If you are using rubber fuel hose then the smell will be coming out of the hose as it allows the fuel to leach out of the hose.

I had the same problem and when I changed all the hoses that went through the cabin to Stainless Braided Teflon Lined hoses had no further problems.

Dimi

CAV has a over fill hose under the gas cap that is supposed to exit underneath the car, sometimes that hose exits into the sponson and fuel get under the fuel tanks.
There is an access panel inside the wheel well that will allow you to check that.
Dave

I am having the same issue with my CAV. There are times when the fuel smell is overpowering. Other times nothing... After some hunting found that the sender plates on the tops of the tanks on both sides are weeping gas from around the screw heads. Has anyone seen this before and is there a suggested fix for this. The last thing I need to do is pull the tanks out. Is there supposed to be some kind of seal around these screws that are presumed to go down into the tank? There is no wet fuel and wouldn't call it a leak. Just a very slow weep around all of the screws.

BTW...I installed pop-out vents in the windows and that helps tremendously in keeping air in the car fresh.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Alan

The hoses were from Earl's and they are AN10 with the correct fittings that must be used with this type of hose as supplied by Earl's.

Under no circumstances can Teflon lined hoses be used with standard hose clamps.

When I first used new fuel hose there was no problem, but after a period of time the leaching of fuel through the hose began an progressively became worse till I could not stand to be in the car for any period of time which prompted the change to Teflon lined hose.

Dimi

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The hoses were from Earl's and they are AN10 with the correct fittings that must be used with this type of hose as supplied by Earl's.

Thanks; I asked because I looked at both Aeroquip and Earls for dash-8 and dash-12 and was a) appalled at the price and b) disappointed that Aeroquip doesn't even make teflon dash-12 although Earl's does at $40/ft (!). Of course my price sensitivity is partly because I now have a large enough inventory of mistakenly purchased AN fittings to equip the Air Force....and at this point I have so little fuel hose in the car (~2 feet) that I'll just wait and see if it's a problem. If so I'll get the Earls stuff. The dash-12 issue went away when I decided to implement as stainless steel hard lines.

Back