So how many miles have you driven your GT40...

I'm curious as to how much actual useage these cars get...still mulling this over and want to put something like 8,000-9,000 mi/yr on a car or its of no use to me...I like driving my "toys" and don't "collect" so like to have one really fun car at a time.

Is this realistic for something like a CAV or am I dreaming?

Pete'
I've got about 2500 miles on my GT since it was finished last year in June. I have driven it on two trips well over 1000 miles
round trip. It is a marvelous car to drive on the open highway. Especially with AC in AZ
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Yes, as I was going to set out for a drive to San Luis Obispo today and the high temperature was going to be 88 degrees, I added a note to my files.

MUST have A/C.

Think I wore down Robin Lacey because he stopped returning e-mails and hasn't returned my call
tongue.gif

Hard to go into something like this planning 2-years out and still convincing people you arent some tire kicker. I sort of went through this buying a plane some years ago...ended up in the back seat of Dick Rutan's Longeze flying to a place to pick up a low-time Piper Warrior with them financing so no scheme is too wacky for me...think my wife has realized this is THE next thing so is resigning herself to it hehehehe.

I still have about 1,000,000 questions but figure I have two years to get them all answered...amazing how quickly one can get answers with the Internet...already have multiple finance options etc.

I have over 10,000 miles on my GTD. The longest trips have been San Francisco to LA and back. Several thousand track miles and lots of short cruises of under 150 miles. Originally keeping the engine cool in 100 degree weather around town was a problem. A modified radiator and higher output fans took care of that. I would still like more a/c output and that will be solved with a proper condensor mount in front of the rad. The original GTD brakes were weak sisters at best and those have been upgraded to 11 3/4" discs and 4 pot calipers in front and 12" in the back with an upgraded production car caliper/emergency brake in the back. I now love driving the car just about anywhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> The longest trips have been San Francisco to LA and back. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do hope you took Highway 1
smile.gif

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Done approx 30,000 miles in 3 yrs. The longest journey being from Brisbane (au)via Melbourne /Adelaide to Brisbane some 5000 Klm's(3000 +_mls)in 40'C + ,2 people, not much luggage, like driving out of a letter box with a hair drier on full out front. Then some social miles around town ,but mostly dueling @ over the ton around Queensland Raceway the porsche G50 was a very wise decision & the 289 has never missed a beat (but is now due for upgrade)
cool.gif

G

25,000 miles since May 1992. Recently only been doing track and competition work so mileage rate has dropped off over last five years or so.

Highest mileage I ever heard of was about 80,000.

Malcolm

15 miles...

I've had it for a week, it's been raining much of the time, and she's not registered yet...
smile.gif

Look snakeyes, I don't remember Jackie Ickx complaining about it raining, get out there and win one for ole John Weyer
grin.gif

Yes, if I could just get the local constabulary to drive a 908 I could have a reenactment of the '69 finish, which I could then post on my cell wall after being arrested for driving without registration...
grin.gif

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: snakeeyes ]

Back