Southern GT 21

Keith, the forward lower tube is longer but of the same size and diameter as others on the wishbones. NOt a suspension man my self either but these are as supplied by Southern GT so hope all is ok!

Keith

Keith, the forward lower tube is longer but of the same size and diameter as others on the wishbones. NOt a suspension man my self either but these are as supplied by Southern GT so hope all is ok!

Oh I'm quite sure it is, but as it looks quite different from other set-ups I thought I'd ask the question. It's quite possible that with this arrangement, you will be able to achieve far more overall flexibility in set up as I believe the original layout is very limited in this respect. Perhaps when you've finished this fine machine, you'd honour me with a drive-by one day, after all you're only 30 mins away!

Nick and Keith,

I am no expert, but I don't believe you have anything to worry about. When I was considering which manufacturer to go with one of the things that struck me when compared to other leading manufacturers, was how substantial the SGT wishbone / pick up points are.

In my personnel opinion, some pick up points / suspension components I saw on other manufacturers cars, looked frighteningly Colin Chapman thin to me, not something you want to be thinking about when you are going down the Mulsanne Straight at 200mph (or just over 70mph in my case)

Last edited:

Keith

Careful now boys, lest paranoia take a hold. I just said they look longer and thinner, not weaker, and different from other designs. I am no engineer, but have a mean eye.

I told Roy Phelps once back in the '80's that his track ran slightly uphill. I could see it just standing on the start line. He almost had me thrown out because, whilst HE knew that that it ran out by some fairly miniscule amount over the 1/4 mile, he had kept quiet because of the Track Records, which would have been voided. It's a curse.

It's probably level now, as regrading at relaying time would have easily sorted that out.

Enjoy your cars my friends... :)

Glenn M

Supporter
Actually, I think it just looks thinner 'cos it's all supershiny. A hoptical delusion don'tcha know.
That's why I'm always to be found wearing silver lamé!

Glenn darling

Wet Systems
Some more time and some more progress - I love this stuff!

Completed the Water System, Aircon and Hydraulic Systems.

Things to note:
Love the SGT stainless pipework but need some mods 1-the linear pipes that run through the central duct need to be a little longer if you are using Silicon 90degree bends. you need to get the jubilee clips on each pipe end. I also shared a shipment of radiators with Paul and the stainless pipework in the nose area needed to be splayed out a little as the radiator is slightly wider.

Aircon went in well and managed to get the drier in in between the zircon unit and the front bulk head. I think this will make for a cleaner nose area. BIG mistake though! on the SGT chassis there is an area for fuel pipes etc to be cased in (IVA). Now that these are fitted realised that some of the pipes ran across where this cover is placed. TIP - buy the cover up front! also there is a lot of room so no need to worry about trying to cram all in. Again I did not realise just how much room until I got these covers.

Hydraulics
The SGT kit all went in very well. I ran the front nearside pipe under the plate with all other wet systems. You can see where I have started the wiring I am also running in this area. Again hopeful a clean finished area.

Attachments

• IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    470.7 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 439
One that I finished earlier.......
Been a while since the last post but I can confirm a new GT40 has been born. Finished just in time for the LMC (will write something up for GT40 Enth. news).

She is completed in the colours of the Alan Mann car 25 of Sebring 1966.

Pictures below are of finished car, eve of LMC. Thanks for all the help this forum has offered. Simply great.

Attachments

• 13613503_1051529138273708_3068714445504748558_o.jpg
    13613503_1051529138273708_3068714445504748558_o.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 344
  • GT40 before LMC just back.jpg
    GT40 before LMC just back.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 360
  • GT40 Hotel De France.jpg
    GT40 Hotel De France.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 321
  • GT40 Sunday Service.jpg
    GT40 Sunday Service.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 322

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fine looking GT you have there Nick! All that effort pays substantial reward!

Back