Southern GT Number 36

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Looking fantastic Dan!
It will be great to get our 6 peg SGT ally uprights and hubs soon, with the proper spinners to go with.
I'm trying to catch up... but it looks like you will be rolling sooner than me though.
Keep up the great work.

Dan Winkworth

Supporter
Ok so quick update, last weekend was a momentus ocasion with the GT40 coming off her build stand 5 months to the day after I started the build.

We collected the body a couple of days after and sepnd the weekend messing around trying get it all lined up.

Still a fair bit of work to do there and with the now very limited space in the garage things are going to slow down!

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

Dan Winkworth

Supporter
Today I started the engine for the first time and drove her out of the garage :)

I finished building the stainless steel exhaust last weekend (minus the rear brackets) and had been trying to start the car for a few days, unfortunatly I'd set the valve lash incorectly when i built the engine last year :-( This resulted in the valves staying slightly open and no compression but lots of bangs and pops.

Hopefully on target for IVA in the next couple of months.

Link To Video of running Engine

https://youtu.be/h32_heJFiXY

Attachments

• IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Hi Dan,

First congratulations exciting times, your car looks fantastic. I have also sent you a personnel mail I am looking for some advice.

Dan Winkworth

Supporter
Quick update, hoping for IVA date in early march.

Good progress the last couple of weeks, most of the IVA specific work now complete and i now have the noise down to the required level by making my own modifications to the silencers :) very happy with home made exhaust system!

Full size high output altinator fitted low down on the drivers side using a bracket i designed and had lader cut after testing with a 3D printed bracket.

Hopefully my next update will be post IVA with a snagging list to work through.

Dan Winkworth

Supporter
IVA test was on the 4th April just under 10 months from starting the build.

The test went really well and had small taste of attention these cars can attract with a small crowd gathering around the car asking questinos outside the test centre.

Failed on a handful of daft minor things that have nearly all been corrected.

Just waiting for a retest date and then off she goes to paint !

Well done on the getting that far so quickly and your build looks great.
A heads up of the failure points would help future builders :thumbsup:

Andrew

Supporter
Whats the state of play on this build now? I was captivated by the speed of the build and itching to see more!

Back