Spaceframe Paneling Question

Mike Pass

Supporter
If you powder coat them prior to sticking and riveting, the Sikaflex or whatever is used does not adhere particularly well to the slightly slick surface of the powder coat. As it is a good idea to coat the panels before assembly it is probably a better idea to etch prime and spray them as per car body panels. They can be sprayed the usual satin or Matt black.
Cheers
Mike

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All.

For general liveability, mods, maintenance and touchups on the chassis and suspension components I have found the best thing to use is engine enamel.

It is available in many colours and finishes and has the advantage of being heat, oil, petrol resistant and also comes in aerosol cans which touch dries in minutes and allows you to do spot repairs and touchups as required.

The other great thing is that it makes it easy to redo areas that get stone chipped from driving.
A quick sanding and a spot spray and you are back to new.
Unlike powdercoat which will chip and then allow water and corrosion penetration to creep under the coating unnoticed until a large section breaks off.

Dimi

Aluminum or steel panels? If aluminum I would treat / spray with zinc chromate self-etching primer before painting. You can buy aerosol cans under a few brands.

Chris

Ron Earp

Admin
Having done this job and messed around with a lot of cars since then, I would clean the panels, spray them with self etching primer, and then spray them with engine enamel, yep just good old fashion spray bomb, as Dimi suggests.

I powered coated a lot of this stuff on an earlier build and it just isn't worth it if you actually use the car on track or put a lot of road miles on it.

On an odd note - and it was more of an accidental discovery, the use of tire shine applied to my black powder coated panels had a way of concealing scratches and added an extra satin sheen finish and looked fantastic (Meguiar's Hot Shine)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Shine-High-Gloss-Spray/dp/B0009IQXXG]Meguiar's Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray. 24 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Chris

Hi all power coating is a lot tougher finish than paint ,when power coating the surface must be blasted correctly atleast 75 microns (i think that is right i am a crash repairer not a powder coater))and will never flake /lift or corrode. Painting with correct etch primer and 2 pak paint is no match for powder coating. My son's midget gets blasted every weekend the power coated ally panels out perform the painted panels by a huge margin. Sikaflex on power coated panels is no problem just follow info on data sheet

Last edited:
Back