SPF GT40-Upgrades and accessories-INPUT PLEASE!!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Need to know the interest level of Superformance GT 40 owners as to some possible upgrades and accessories that we at Time Machines could produce.

1) Roof vent- I have prototyped an improved internal baffle/drain system for the factory roof vent. This would install by removing the louvered vent (8 Allen head screws) and a moulded plastic baffle system would then install. The system has a lower baffle that glues in the existing short "dyke wall" that SPF uses to stop water intrusion. This baffle is 1 3/8" tall and secures inside the existing "wall". Part two is a moulded tray that mounts even with the roof outer panel (in the depressed area, even with the steel skin) and funnels water to the center of the new, taller baffle.

This would eliminate all or most alll of water entry and will have the option of using a foam baffle also to prevent insect entry and for improved noise control.

The kit would probably run around $75.00 with complete instructions and all adhesives needed.

Any interest?

2) Glass rear bulkhead window. This would be a DOT aproved automotive safety glass window that would fit in the existing frame and come complete with edge seal. Offered with or without the 1/4" hole for the roof vent drain.

Much improved sound control, easy to clean (no plastic scratches, hazing, etc.) and safer due to fire resistance. Cost in the $150.00-180.00 range.

I won't go forward with these unless there is a need and market for them.

Suggestions for other products are welcome.

Rick

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Rick,

I'm in for the Roof Vent kit.

Already have a glass rear bulkhead window.

Looking forward to your gasket kits and something for the front wheel bearings.

What else are you cooking up?

Steve P2125

Last edited:
Seals seals..tub seal. A good, working, tow ring. Better running lamps.
#1-Fabricate an aluminum trim to close the gap around and below the fans and the bonnet. Keep the 180 degree heat out of the car.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
I'll second Grady's request for a radiator to front hood shroud for MK11.

Front wheel bearing inner seals.

Front and rear brake duct kits: Hose and wheel shroud front and rear as well as adapter to mate FRP duct to flex hose for rear (rear shroud needs to allow retention of emergency brake assy).

All the gaskets mentioned in above posts.

Steering shaft to tub seal

MK11 roof vent kit

Steve P2125

I own SPF Mk1 #2182.

I'd buy roof vent and glass bulkhead window. All gaskets&seals in posts.
Wheel bearing seals. Tow ring.

And probably anything else interesting you come up with.

Jack

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Here is the radiator shroud that I came up with. It works quite well and even allowed the removal of the restrictive fan shroud that came on the car. It can be removed through the front hatch without removing the body. Pretty simple and easy to make.

Attachments

• DSCF7068.jpg
    DSCF7068.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 454
  • DSCF7070.jpg
    DSCF7070.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 439
Rick I'm interested in the steering shaft seal, new seal for the bottom of the door and the wheel bearing cover. Do you have any pictures of the roof box, either old or new. Mine was and empty box have the change that?

Mike, great idea on the fan shroud, would you mind sharing the plans?

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Richard:

Grady already ask me about the plans for the shroud. I had to admit that I was in a big hurry when I made that and just took some measurements and made it. The next time that I have it out I will make a pattern and give it to anyone that is interested.

Things that I would buy:

1) Gaskets for better cabin sealing.
2) A functional, period correct looking, tow ring.
3) Better fan shrouding ie, Mike's design.
4) A fire extinguisher mount for under the drivers knees
5) An apparatus for lifting the car off the ground that I can mount on the head of a Jack that utilizes the factory jack points front and rear.
6) Some sort of water pipe that doesn't need so many rubber connections and 10+ hose clamps.

Come to think of it this list could go on forever......

It would be great if someone would make a set of CNC bent stainless steal radiator tubes. I made a set out of copper, they work very well but there are lot of joints. There would have to be two sets. One for a 302 based engine and another for the 351 but the lower one from the water pump down would be the same. Oh ya then there's the FE guys.

I had to make the long one in two pieces otherwise you can't snake it into place.

Lynn Miner was nice enough to powder coat them for me. The only way to go.

Attachments

• DSCN1405.jpg
    DSCN1405.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_4654.jpg
    IMG_4654.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_4714.jpg
    IMG_4714.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_4723.jpg
    IMG_4723.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_4649.jpg
    IMG_4649.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_4636.jpg
    IMG_4636.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Any interest in a rear aluminum undertray like the FAV MK I cars had? I may have a fabricator that can produce then with proper cutouts for either the ZF or the ZFQ.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I'd be interested in the roof vent, the seals that have been discussed (around the steering column, doors, etc.) and Mike's MkII radiator shroud.

FWIW,
Kirby

Need to know the interest level of Superformance GT 40 owners as to some possible upgrades and accessories that we at Time Machines could produce.

1) Roof vent- I have prototyped an improved internal baffle/drain system for the factory roof vent. This would install by removing the louvered vent (8 Allen head screws) and a moulded plastic baffle system would then install. The system has a lower baffle that glues in the existing short "dyke wall" that SPF uses to stop water intrusion. This baffle is 1 3/8" tall and secures inside the existing "wall". Part two is a moulded tray that mounts even with the roof outer panel (in the depressed area, even with the steel skin) and funnels water to the center of the new, taller baffle.

This would eliminate all or most alll of water entry and will have the option of using a foam baffle also to prevent insect entry and for improved noise control.

The kit would probably run around $75.00 with complete instructions and all adhesives needed.

Any interest?

2) Glass rear bulkhead window. This would be a DOT aproved automotive safety glass window that would fit in the existing frame and come complete with edge seal. Offered with or without the 1/4" hole for the roof vent drain.

Much improved sound control, easy to clean (no plastic scratches, hazing, etc.) and safer due to fire resistance. Cost in the $150.00-180.00 range.

I won't go forward with these unless there is a need and market for them.

Suggestions for other products are welcome.

Rick

How about a license plate bracket that allows the plate to be mounted under the clamshell near the quick jacks. I hate having to mount my plate to the mesh.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
How about a license plate bracket that allows the plate to be mounted under the clamshell near the quick jacks. I hate having to mount my plate to the mesh.

I did this on my MkII because I too hated it mounted on the mesh.

It was pretty easy. I bought an off the shelf black metal license plate frame from O'Reilly's, drilled two holes in the square tube and put rivnuts in them.

I also added a generic license plate light above that and tied it into the wiring that was already there. Works like a charm and still allows you to use the quick jack without any problem.

Here's the only picture I have handy. If anyone is interested, I can always go and take better pics with a closer view.

FWIW,
Kirby

Attachments

• kirbyand02.jpg
    kirbyand02.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 399

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Perhaps. One of the cleanest ideas I have seen is John S's MK I, he uses bolts that have LEDs inside to illuminate the plate. These are available at custom motorcycle shops and make a really clean install of the plate. Also, as the quick jack location varies from MK I to MK II, different brackets will be required.

I have pricing from SPF for the steering shaft seal, it is $82.84. The "blocks" for the base of the "A" pillars are $53.65 per side. Both of these provide substantial sealing improvements. They are not in the US stock, so orders will take a few weeks. Please let me know if anyone wants them so I can order sufficent quantity.

Attachments

• P9180025.jpg
    P9180025.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 404
  • P9280019.jpg
    P9280019.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 395
Back