Spinner won't fit

Hi,

I have some fitting issues with my wheel spinners and I would highly appreciate any input from you guys. I bought a set of Tri-Wing spinners from Vintage wheels. When I mounted them I noticed that the threads on the hubs don’t match the threads on the spinners very well. The threads on the hub measures 58.6 mm in outer diameter which I think is reasonably close to the 2” 21/64 that these cars “should” have. (2 21/64 corresponds to 59.1 mm) When I measure the inside diameter of the spinners I get 56.7 mm. Hence, the spinner is sitting very loose on the hub. The radial thread “overlap” is only 1.2 mm, i.e. (59.1-56.7)/2. To me the spinner ID (56.7 mm) appears big, but have no other reference…

/Mattias

Is the thread pitch & form the same, borrow a thread pitch gauge set from a local fitter/turner and check that spinner & hub threads match. As you mention it is very loose you might be looking at another set of spinners or hubs.

EDIT, another solution since your in Sweden might be to obtain a set of 'blank' forgings of the spinners and have them threaded to match your hubs, or send a hub to vintage & have them machine the spinners to suit.

Last edited:
Thank you for the input. The pitch is correct. I haven't been able to check the thread form but since they (male/femal threads) barely grab on to each other I assume the form cannot be the main issue. It would be interesting to hear what dimensions others have on their hubs/spinners.
/Mattias

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Should be 8 TPI (threads per inch) UNC (60°) OD is 59 mm ID is 55.6 mm
1.00"/ 8 = .125" Pitch x .866 =.108" x .625 = .0675" x 2 = .135" or 3.49mm
59 major dia - 3.49 = 55.51 minor dia

Thank you Chris,
My numbers are slightly off then. I tried to Contact Wintage Wheels but with no sucess so far. I also noticed that Trigo Wheels sell an undrilled forged spinner, maybe that is the route I have to take...
/Mattias

I called Vintagewheels yesterday. It seems as if their response to me got lost in the spam filter. Anyway, I got superb support on the phone and the solution will be new unthreaded spinners that I can machine locally.

/Mattias

Back