Sprocket hubs failure

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Just a quick update. Deborah Stander (Superformance importer in California) got back to me an said they will have Superformance's engineers in South Africa review this thread and the general issue with the hubs/bearings. She said she'll get back to me once she hears from them. I'll update the thread once I receive that input.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
........ they will have Superformance's engineers in South Africa review this thread and the general issue with the hubs/bearings. She said she'll get back to me once she hears from them. I'll update the thread once I receive that input.

That'll be awhile :lipsrsealed:

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
This is not a new issue. I appreciate the response but I would not be holding my breath.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I wanted to update everyone on the spindle/bearing issue.

A month ago I had asked Superformance in Irvine to forward this thread to Hi Tech, and to get their feedback on the bearing wear issues. I didn't hear back from them, so a few days ago I asked Deborah Stander to again follow-up with Hi Tech. She received the following e-mail reply today from Justin at Hi Tech.

"I have had a look into the spindle and bearing issue, and here is my take on it…

The spindle and bearing setup is an exact copy of what the original cars ran. I personally feel that the setup works fine, PROVIDED you check the preload on the bearings regularly. If the preload is not sufficient, the spindle could spin in the bearing, causing what you see in the pictures.

What we can look at on future cars is putting a spacer between the inner and outer bearing so that you can really tighten the nut without worrying about preloading the bearings excessively. I will need to do an investigation and will get back to you."

As I mentioned above, Holman Moody did create and install spacers on my front spindles, so I'm glad they seemed to make the right decision. I don't know if or when spacers will be available from Superformance. If you're interested in them in the short term, you may want to contact Lee Holman.

Thanks for the follow up Dave. One thought I have on spacers is wouldn't they have to be custom sized for length on every axle? Are the bearing race seats in the upright always machined to exactly the same dimensions?

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Good question, Dave. I don't know the answer to that. Perhaps someone else does.

If Superformance were to make this change to future cars, I'd assume the spacers would all be the same size.

I tend to agree with DaveM that each spacer would have to be custom sized unless the spacer had a "collapsible" center section to allow for engineering tolerances.

Based on the fact they can't get the spindle OD right I don't think there is any way they are machined to a close enough tolerance so there could be a one size fits all spacer.

I've set up a few of the 9" Ford rear ends and they use a crush sleeve on the pinion. The pinion is set up the same way as our wheel bearings with an inner and outer bearing. Even then they use shims of differing thicknesses to set the pinion depth.

I may have something to say about them doing it the exactly the same way they did back in the day. According to some original documentation and pictures they used a more traditional castle nut to set the pre-load on the front hubs instead of that POS doughnut with the three little cap screws.

If they had I may not have had to go looking along side a desolate stretch of road somewhere north of Bend Or. in the middle night to find my inner wheel bearing. But that may be a story for another thread. Needless to say it was a bit strange to watch my life pass before me.

I guess I lucked out in a big way. Unbelievably the "doughnut" pre-load adjuster was sitting on the lower A arm. Otherwise I might still be there.

Attachments

• gt40 014.jpg
    gt40 014.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 20130822_224709-001.jpg
    20130822_224709-001.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Interesting problem. As mentioned in my last post I had a problem with the pre-load lock plate coming loose (falling off). I ordered a replacement and today I started putting the car back together with new Timken bearings.

Everything was going great until I went to put the new lock plate in. I know in the past it could take a few minutes to get everything lined up so all three screw holes showed up at the same time. Well a few minutes turned into 10 and so on until it was evident it just wasn't going to happen.

No mater how I clocked the pre-load nut I couldn't get all three holes to show up at the same time. Even thou I knew the holes in the nut were symmetrical I tried by turning it over, no joy.

So I checked other side thinking that maybe they had gone to a new design. Well they look the same, both have 5 slots. I tried to upload a video I made because I knew people wouldn't believe me but no matter the size or format the upload always failed. So you'll just have to take my word for it.

If someone has run into this problem before or has a fix please let me know.

OK I'm official embarrassed. I turns out there should only be two. Go figure. I could have sworn there were three. Rick thanks for posting the parts list. Part #9 shows quantity of 2.

Richard,
You only use 2 set screws to lock things. Not possible to get 3 to line up. Check your opposite side hub.

Resurrecting an old thread. Does anyone have experience with plasma spraying of worn parts? Plasma spray doesn't appear to have the warpage risk of chrome plating, but is it durable enough to build up worn bearing journals like SPF hubs?

Neil

Supporter
Dave;

Whether it is plasma sprayed or hard chromed to build up a surface, you will need to have it ground to the final dimension.

Back