Start of a long journey to...

Good day,

Name is Marno and I am living in Melbourne Australia, I am new to this forum.

Well my journey with the GT40 started somewhat 15 years ago.
At this time I was living in South Africa. My father had come across a GT40 which has been in an racing accident and was now for sale.

He has already built up a Model-T Ford roughly in 1985-89 and a Ford 351 Cobra in 1996. Loving his cars he would not slip up on the opportunity to have a GT40 too.

Through the years slow progress was made on this car. My Father rebuild the front nose of the GT which was completely crushed on the LH side.
The car never reached its full potential due to other priorities.

I migrated to Australia in 2012 and got married to a beautiful wife.

Recently my dad passed the GT40 on to me as he said he thinks it will be a great project for me and will be an awesome car to drive over here.

This is where I am now. The car is a KCC kit which has been modified and still more to be done.

First is first, I will have to import it cause it is still in South Africa.

Any help on how to approach this..

Kind regards

Ok I went digging and found the single picture I have of the GT40, Ill add some more of the Cobra I referred too in the previous post.

Attachments

• DSC00572.jpg
    DSC00572.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC00092.jpg
    DSC00092.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC00571.jpg
    DSC00571.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 294
  • Image004.jpg
    Image004.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 368

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Marno!

I'm sure that someone here can help guide you on how to transport / import...

Marno,
I am sure your shipping requirements will be different from my experience(Australia to U S), but check with your shipping companies locally. follow their instructions to the letter. They may have requirements to keep the motor out of the car(if there is a motor). In the U S if the motor is in the car it is considered complete and has to meet DOT saftey regs which don't work with these sort of cars(5mph bumpers etc.). You want it to come in as parts. Then there is just the taxes due. You can register it when built. Talk to some of the Aussies on the forum and they might be able to fill you in a little better. Good luck.

Bill

I've been using my time to research suspensions on the GT40... Humm.. The current one that is in the car is of the Ford Granada, front and rear. I would really love to change this too double A front and something closer too the original so I have a better look and nothing interfering with the "Snake pit" exhausts headers (manifolds).

Does anyone know of someone who has done something like this.

This is "boggeling" me.

MDAs used the original mold tool to create exact copies of the rear suspension upright (as seen fabricated in the photos above. This casting even has "GT40" cast into the body and not only looks right but performs well. These original style castings must still be available if you want authentic style suspension.

But where to start looking for these castings? I have a few ideas for independent suspensions but need to get it right..

John Botha who lives in Johannesburg has done many KCC conversions from Granada suspension to a pretty good facsimile of the real thing.

Attachments

• Eng8.JPG
    Eng8.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 385
That sounds like a good start, Do u know what uprights he used and what hubs, brakes etc...? If I can find the right uprights I can fabricate the A frames and the tailing arms to suit.

Back