Steward Warner fuel pumps problem

Rune

Supporter
My fuel pumps leak the fuel back, it is possible a no return valve not working, it is the same for both pumps. Does someone have a chematic drawing to share so I can see how they work ? I do not like to open the pumps without know what is inside. I belive it must be a kind of flapper valve there as check valve. Since I have original pumps,and they have been fully overhauled in UK. I hope to have them installed, if not there will be Facet pumps in the car.

Rune

Supporter
Thanks Doc. The pumps deliver enough fuel, but when I start the pumps they run fast until pressure is up, then I tougth they should stop until there are need for fuel, but the pumps still run a little not much, so I do not know if there are need for dissmantling the pumps. I have a regulator that give the Webers 2.5 psi.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I'm no expert but I thought that the pumps should run a little when pressure is reached. I also thought that 3 psi was the desired setting for the fuel pressure into Webers but might well depend on engine size etc. Someone with more experience will hopefully give their opinions.

Rune

Supporter
Doc, when I run at 3 psi I oserved that one of the intake valves on the Weber was pressed open and it leaked, so at 2.5psi it was ok.

Neil

Supporter
On my 250GTE, the fuel pressure was 2.5PSI and the fuel pump chattered away before starting the engine. As fuel pressure built up, the pumps slowed down to a slow tic-tic.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
My SW pumps run at 3 psi and do continue running slowly once pressured up. No problems with them in 2 years/6500 miles of running.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Hello Rune,
The pumps run very fast, initially. Then they will click every 1 or 2 seconds to maintain pressure. That is all perfectly normal. I hope that helps ?

Back