Street and Track Car? Sub $40K?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya but we both know that won't last long........... These stock cars are so tuff and cheap that you could run one for years and then sell it for what you paid for it. Lots of used tires.... and a good pump gas 400 inch motor would last forever..........but a Miata on new slicks could outrun it in the right hands.

Check out Lebanon Ford: $40k for the 757 hp Coyote Mustang (new!), they offer turbo upgrades for the lesser versions for the EcoBoost 4.

C5 or 6 corvette is the best way to go I think. You can pick one up for under $20000 add 10000 for safety gear and other things and you have 10000 for the first year at the track. 26 to 30 mpg driving to and from the track.
Check the Corvette Forum
Ed

I race a Shelby Can Am ASR in SCCA & HSR, and I also run a stock '02 C5 Z06 for track days. I experience about 75% of the fun of racing the real race car by driving the Z06 at track days with only 10% of the hassle and expense. Being able to drive to and from the track (in air conditioned comfort!) is huge.

The C5 Z06 is a great track day car. Handles well, lots of power, very reliable. The LS6 (LS1 based) engine doesn't have the on track oiling issues of the LS2,3,&7. And these are going for half of your $40k budget.

For the money, I think a good C5 Z06 is your best deal for what you want to do.

Jack

For driving in the US, what is a good, modern street car that can drive to the track and then drive on the track at a track day event (not racing) that costs less than $40,000?

At the moment, I'm considering a new Mustang with the 4-cylinder 2.3L Ecoboost engine with the Performance (Track) Package. I have a little trouble saying "Mustang" and "4-cylinder" in the same sentence, but it seems to be an interesting option.

What else is out there?

Pat

Supporter
Consider one of the Lotus 7 replicas.
They are near bulletproof and a blast to drive. Birkin and Caterham both produce some pretty serious machinery. I think there are at least a half dozen outlets for the cars in the US.

7.jpg

Back