Superlite GTA

Leon, thanks for the info on the 98/99 improvements. It sounds like it's still a matter of build up the 2g and hope it works fine, or find a 6 bolt and swap it in. There doesn't seem to be a clear answer on crankwalk, just a lot of arguments.!

You got it right on the crankwalk, there are numerous theories:

- Shift/misalignment of the main caps/girdle
- Oil squirters that are stuck “open”
- Heavy clutch pressure plates
- Lack of crankshaft nitrate treatment
- Thrust bearing design (thus the 98/99 redesign)
- Low oil pressure
- Loose(er) tolerances in 7 bolt cranks.
- Clutch safety switch (requires load on thrust BEFORE there is oil pressure).

The only thing that has was proven is none of the above are THE solution! For whatever reason, some 7 bolt motors do not crank walk, and no one knows the reason why… Anyone telling you otherwise, is either a fool, a rip-off artist, or a genius! But we haven’t found such genius yet ;).

If you happen to have a good 7 bolt motor, use it until you run into a problem! If you really want to refresh it, put in new rods/pistons/rings and get rid of the balance shafts. But I wouldn’t mess with the main bearings (unless it has over 150k miles or so).

The only thing on which people agree is that the most reliable solution for crankwalk has been 6 bolt short block swap! Considering that a good used 6 bolt block/crank combination can be found for $150-$300, this really is a no-brainer!

Just an additonal thought would also be to look into a 4g64 Block / 4g63 Head hybrid motor. I have recently completed building an awd 7th Gen Galant which came equiped with a 4g64 into a AWD 4g64/63 5spd Hybrid utlizining suspension parts from a 1996 Talon TSI.

The 4g64 can be found in 6bolt and 7bolt designs and I haven't heard of crankwalk with these blocks.

I am not sure if we want to overload these guys with Mitsu trivia... 2.4 make a lot more torque at lower RPMs, but... No more power than the 2.0s. So you end up with with more drivetrain braking torque, but you are no faster than the smaller engine. That torque is better for daily driving heavy DSMs, but I do not see it being very useful on a light Apex.

It does seem to be true that these are much more available outside of my area, at least from a very limited search.

From autotrader, 95-99 Eclipse, Talon, Laser, non-Spyder, any trans, turbo and non:

within 500 miles of me = 17
within unlimited distance = 137

Many of those seem to be in Fla and WI/MI.

In Las Vegas, there's a road with lots of used car dealers. I saw a half dozen Eclipses in those. I think that's going to be the trick to finding them; go to local used car dealers.

for Iron Man 3
I rather doubt that Fran is busy building cars for Iron Man 3. Except for some sequences in China that don't involve the main cast members, filming wrapped more than a week ago. Fran also said that he already provided the CAD files, so post-production CGI should also be squared away. Unless Superlite is building one or more cars for film promotional purposes, I'd surmise that their work for the movie is already done.

Errr, I'd imagine that's precisely what they are doing?

Where is that coming from? I don't recall Fran mentioning anything of the sort, nor indicating that the Nemesis will play such a prominent role in the movie that the studio would want to build more of them to use in promoting Iron Man 3. I suspect that you guys are going more than a little overboard in your estimates of how much time work for the movie is occupying in Superlite's current schedule.

Where is that coming from? I don't recall Fran mentioning anything of the sort, nor indicating that the Nemesis will play such a prominent role in the movie that the studio would want to build more of them to use in promoting Iron Man 3. I suspect that you guys are going more than a little overboard in your estimates of how much time work for the movie is occupying in Superlite's current schedule.

My bad. You know better :)

:laugh: No, actually I don't. I only know what Fran posted before and that shooting on Iron Man 3 is essentially done. I was having a hard time squaring those facts with the idea that much of Superlite's time is now taken up with work for the movie.

Calm down boys...work for "a" movie not "the" movie

we are currently building 15 cars for another movie that will remain nameless until next year...they are all to be delivered prior to Xmas.

Gotta go...cars to build and customers to keep happy.

Ok. I put my entire review up on exocars. (general discussion-->most important new cars of SEMA 2012)

I was re-reading your review and comments and it made me go look at the 818 again. No change in opinion, I don't like it. But, what that led me to was looking at GTM photos and I realized something I REALLY do not like about the GTM goes along with the theme in your review of the 818 being unfinished. The aspect on the GTM I can't stand is the back corners of the hood where they end just in front of the side mirrors. They are just these points sticking out into space like the designer was going somewhere with the hood and just stopped. I'd imagine they vibrate around a bit while driving too.

Anyway, enough hijack, anything new on the APEX????????

Back