Superlite GTA

First of all, I am pretty sure that the original poster who mentioned installing EVO steering wheel so that he can maintain the airbag was talking about doing this in an actual DSM, and not an Apex. But I suppose, that led to a question of transferring this system into the Apex. Which Fran has answered several times: NO AIRBAGS!

Second, do you remember what original seatbelts in the early 90’s replaced? It were those awful “automatic seat belts”. BOTH were originally intended to provide active protection for people who chose NOT to wear seatbelts! Only, they didn’t want to encourage people to stop using the belt (if they had an airbag), so they called it “supplemental restraint”, as in: you still had to wear the seatbelt. Well, criticism about those early airbag was that they were TOO STRONG! Most were designed to save an unbuckled 200lbs 5’9” male, which made them dangerous to an average female and/or a child.

Arguably, they were COMPLETELY unnecessary and overkill for any BUCKELED driver in 20-40mph collusion! But… this is totally off topic in this thread (sorry, Fran)! So I am done discussing it!

First of all, I am pretty sure that the original poster who mentioned installing EVO steering wheel so that he can maintain the airbag was talking about doing this in an actual DSM, and not an Apex. But I suppose, that led to a question of transferring this system into the Apex. Which Fran has answered several times: NO AIRBAGS!

Second, do you remember what original seatbelts in the early 90’s replaced? It were those awful “automatic seat belts”. BOTH were originally intended to provide active protection for people who chose NOT to wear seatbelts! Only, they didn’t want to encourage people to stop using the belt (if they had an airbag), so they called it “supplemental restraint”, as in: you still had to wear the seatbelt. Well, criticism about those early airbag was that they were TOO STRONG! Most were designed to save an unbuckled 200lbs 5’9” male, which made them dangerous to an average female and/or a child.

Arguably, they were COMPLETELY unnecessary and overkill for any BUCKELED driver in 20-40mph collusion! But… this is totally off topic in this thread (sorry, Fran)! So I am done discussing it!

Yes I was referring to keeping the airbag while it's still a Eclipse.

Going back to an older topic discussed in this thread...California SB100. I found the following information relating to the BAR examination.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/01_ConsumerActivities/Specially_Constructed_Vehicles/SPCN_Fact_Sheet.pdf

I'm trying to figure out how likely it will be that the referee would assign a year that is favorable to me eg. 1960. Based on number 8 in the link, it appears that the OWNER (as opposed to referee) would have to choose either the engine or the body for the determination of the emission year. Obviously then you would not want to pick the engine...and since a year of the body cannot be determined, this would Potentially be how you get the car registered as a 1960 emission year. Being that a good amount of the car is still eclipse (interior, transmission, engine) and although the car no longer resembles the original car or any manufactured car, do this seem likely they would assign 1960 instead of 1995?? I'm not sure this is a slam dunk. Anyone have experience on more modern cars? (as opposed GT40's or cobra's).

Scott, they will likely use the existing VIN number on the Eclipse.

Hmmm...I realize the SLC is a different animal since it doesn't use a donor. What about the GTM's that use the corvette donors? Are they all using the donor vin year?

I've read mixed stories...some people temporarily putting in pre 1975 engines to avoid bi-annual smog.

The more I read, the less I understand. lol.

Still wish the ls4 had a manual option but I'm starting to really warm up to the 4g63 and have developped a great respect for it.

Fran, what are the engine specs on the car in the photoshoot?

Also, I know that a basic SLC can be built in 200 hours. What will a basic Apex build take?

Last edited:
Still wish the ls4 had a manual option but I'm starting to really warm up to the 4g63 and have developped a great respect for it.

Fran, what are the engine specs on the car in the photoshoot?

Also, I know that a basic SLC can be built in 200 hours. What will a basic Apex build take?

I agree with your statement and I would also like to hear the answer to your questions.

Mr. Wolfe

For those who may wonder about insurance:

I just called my insurance company (USAA) and received a quote for full comprehensive and collision, $500 deductible, uninsured motorist totaling $84 per month. This was based on a full replacement cost (build cost) of $40,000. I also did one at $30,000 which resulted in a slightly lower premium of about $75 per month. I spoke with a specialized department which primarily deals with custom and antique vehicles. They were able to located Superlite as a builder so I think the quote is fairly accurate. I was asked what the performance level of the vehicle was (extreme, high, intermediate, average, low). I asked what a corvette was classified as which was intermediate so I went with that middle of the road option.

Quick background for demographic on the quote: 33 years old, clean driving record, married, homeowner.

-Jason

For those who may wonder about insurance:

I just called my insurance company (USAA) and received a quote for full comprehensive and collision, $500 deductible, uninsured motorist totaling $84 per month. This was based on a full replacement cost (build cost) of $40,000. I also did one at $30,000 which resulted in a slightly lower premium of about $75 per month. I spoke with a specialized department which primarily deals with custom and antique vehicles. They were able to located Superlite as a builder so I think the quote is fairly accurate. I was asked what the performance level of the vehicle was (extreme, high, intermediate, average, low). I asked what a corvette was classified as which was intermediate so I went with that middle of the road option.

Quick background for demographic on the quote: 33 years old, clean driving record, married, homeowner.

-Jason

Thanks for the information. How many miles/year can you drive?

Mr. Wolfe

The plan of a 18x13 inch wheel still a possibility? I was reading up on the Mickey Thompson ET street ll tire and the widest they go is 345s. Looks like a normal street tire, not a super tall side wall slick. I read that guys in 6-700 whp vettes and vipers have had to upgrade axles on these tires on the street because of how well they hook! I think everyone should at least look into them because weighing roughly 2500 lbs and pending HP goals they should work out well for anyone.

Fran,

I'm trying to build a close to scale 3D model in Solidworks. After scouring the thread, I have:

103in wheelbase
18in front wheel
19in rear wheel
49in roof height

I'm looking for:
Nose to tail measurement
Vehicle width at front and rear tire
Overall widest point and location
Edit: Distance from nose to center of front wheel

I've modeled the roofline off of fairly accurate 2G eclipse reference images. Any help would be appreciated. Do you have an actual technical drawing?

I am out of the office until Monday ... Body looks great in colour and I will put up pics after I get back
Jason why would a manufacturer supply such data?
Have you tried asking Ferrari for their 458 or even factory five for 818 surface data?

I am out of the office until Monday ... Body looks great in colour and I will put up pics after I get back
Jason why would a manufacturer supply such data?
Have you tried asking Ferrari for their 458 or even factory five for 818 surface data?

Fair enough. I definitely didn't want full surface data, just dimensions. This is purely a hobby. No encroachment intended.

Back