Suspension setup from scratch

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Here is my guide to suspension setup. The order is important. Can be applied to any car with adjustable and independent rear suspension.I have left out the' how to' to avoid confusion.

1/ Bump steer rear suspension
The goal is zero toe change with vertical wheel travel.

2/ Check the negative camber gain as you raise the rear wheel from ride height to upper limit.
The goal is not to have excessive camber gain

3/ Set rear static toe to zero or slight toe in.

3.5/ Set ride height, front lower than the rear.

4/ Set rear static negative camber.

5/ Check front caster

6/ Set front toe. Use toe in if wishbones have rubber bushes.

7/ Set front negative camber

The first 2 steps are better to be carried out by a suspension shop familiar with race type suspension.
Steps 3 to 7 can be done by the tyre/tire shops on their equipment because these adjustments are carried out on road cars.
I hope this helps. There are always going to be other ways to achieve the same result but my suspension works on the race track and results speak for themselves.
Ross

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks again

Jeez you Kiwi's are quick of the mark. No wonder you keep flogging us at rugby.

I just finished saying in Roaldin's thread what a good idea it was you had to post suspension guidlines here. Jumped here and voila here it is.
Thanks mate.

Is that why Aussies prefer rolling starts, cant hack those reverse grids either!

One invaluable tool for those of you who wish to do this setup stuff yourselves is a 'Smart Level'. With one of these in your toolkit & a couple of rulers/straight edges you can check virtually all your suspension geometry except toe .

Jac Mac

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Even better you can make a trammel bar for toe checks out of wood. I have a digital (smart) level that I have fitted bollts to the side that sit against the rim. Great for camber setting direct reading in degrees.I use a straight edge off the rear upright with the level also for caster checks. 2 stringlines and steel rules as mentioned and that's about all that's needed except for time.
Hey Jac Mac I still have my NZ passport and do standing starts so you can't be referring to me.
Ross

Nah Ross, It was Pete I was trying to wind up, any truth in the rumour he's applied for an assistant coaching position with the Wallybee's?

Be careful with all this additional HP on standing starts, You might find the strength limits of the transaxle.

Jac Mac

Back