T70 barn find ?

Ron Earp

Admin
That is a really cool find Johan, really neat. Are you going to handle the restoration duties yourself? Seems like it would make a rewarding and challenging project to do own your own. Best,

Ron

Yep

The article has a clear picture of the double hump.
I guess Randy added it to allow his bodies to be
either RHD or LHD. The car in the article is a big block
Chevy with a ZF and last I heard was owned by Mac McClendon.
If you're going to restore this car, call Mac.
He has more Lola parts than Lola.

MikeD

I guess I still can't post pictures, only a third of a picture. Go figure !
Mike, does the article say anything about the other car the Bartz brothers did ?
According to Mac, the car in my garage is SL71/34, the Bardahl spyder #30 driven by Gurney in the 1966 Bridgehampton race, and the #8 car driven by Grant in the USRRC race (both wins).Mac is the one that did the brake job on it in the 80's. This matches my info, but hard to believe !

Hi
Yes I think it's SL71/34 as well (Starkey has transaxle as #79 but that could be wrong or changed at a later time)
Nice History. Last owner Starkey has is Bobbie Thompson of New Orleans
"A car with chassis number SL71/34 has a Mk III coupe body installed by Charles Bartz."
Starkey.

Best

I think the transaxle might be 76 or 79. I was looking at it upside down, with full monty, and almost fainted.

Those models are pretty accurate. Take that Disco dash, put it and that body on your Hertiage, restore your new one as per model and you'll be good to go.

Johan, this is one huge find. Congratulations.

Dan Gurney speaking of his Can-Am win in the #30 in SL71/34 at Bridgehampton:

The Lola T70 was a very good car, and I had the honor of being the first American to win a Can-Am race at Bridgehampton in September 1966. We won the race using our Weslake heads on one of our Ford 305ci engines. The T70 never appeared to be going particularly quick, but when you looked, the lap times were always there."

The picture you posted of #30 has got to be how it is restored. That was the high point of its history. I have a few photos that I can scan of this car in this finish if you're interested.

Keep us posted.

Rob, thanks for your enthusiasm. I'm interested in the photos you mentioned. I may try to fit a Porsche targa body to the car so that I can run it in the Porsche club events that are so prevalent in this country, but failing that, will some day make it back to a spyder, or at least "T" tops ! I can keep beer on ice in the empty fuel cell too if I drill holes in it for drains !
Seriously, 1966 was a long time ago but converting the car back to spyder does not seem too difficult. All of the original suspension is there, and the rear of the car is built off of the gearbox (also present), so all I need are some photos , bits and pieces,some beer, and a little entusiasm !

Sorry Johan

R&T article only discusses the yellow car in detail.
But it does say the Bartz Brothers will sell same car
to anyone for $ 100k...I wonder if they sold any besides
the yellow one? In 1984 that was probably more than the cost
of a real Mk III coupe !

MikeD

They sold the red one (the subject of this thread) for 85,000 two years earlier. Consider the cost of a Lamborghini Countach etc. Certainly a Cafe Cruiser ! Chicks might just like Lolas, but men love them .
What is it about women (or Lolas)that makes men go out and spend this kind of dough on cars ? Perhaps, when dealing with a T70 with a lot of HP and a hewland, some big fat sticky tires, and a sound that barks "Let me at them !", chicks have nothing to do with it.
Nah.

The pictures are great,

In picture #21 I notice the that there is what looks like an air scoop just in front of the side mirror where most seem to have another fuel filler, is just the angle of the pic or is it air intake. I wondered where it went to.

Whatever you do it looks from the pics to be in good shape,

Joe, it is an air scoop. I have not seen another like it.
I just took these photos of it. Check out the workmanship on the screen. It is hand formed around a little wire border and welded (soldered ?). OK, so no big deal, but still cool (pardon the pun). It goes to the defroster.

Attachments

• 58395-loladetails026.jpg
    58395-loladetails026.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 928
Thanks for the pics, its the little details which make finds like this really interesting, I have not seem that mod before either, I wondered whether if it was an afterthought but obviously not looking at the workmanship, so is there a fuel/cell tank in that side?

Cheers

There was one but now it is full of stuff for the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC). I have not found the heater core yet ! Hah !
This picture is taken from above the right side door opening , down into the fuel cell access opening.

Attachments

• 58440-loladetails013.jpg
    58440-loladetails013.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 815
I'm still at the pile of bits and beer stage!
I have a body and sort of rolling spaceframe chassis of unknown origin. Mainly Lotus suspension parts? some original parts. The wheels that came with it are knock on Wolfrace slot mags? It was started in the 70's then put away.
My first decision is whether to use the spaceframe? some of the panelling has been done.
As you can tell I have a lot of work ahead.

Back