T70 barn find ?

Johan,
If you need a pic of something specific, let me know.
My scanner died but I just got a new one and I have some old photos of bare tubs, and some body stuff, I may have a pic of a dash tower or two.

I just moved my web site, it was near it's limit with the old ISP. I was planning on adding and revamping it this winter when I had more time. We have a family farm in California, we grow vegetables, mostly lettuce. Right now I'm working on my wife's 73 Camaro and trying to get it back running and out of the way in my shop so I can get the Lola Ready for the Monterey Historics in August.

They will honor Jim Hall and the Chaparral cars this year, it should be GREAT! I got Jim and Hap Sharp to autograph a small poster when they were here in 87, Hap has since passed away.
David

Johan, Thanks for showing me your cars the other day. Speaking as someone who's just restored a basket-case T70 Mark II, with his own hands, I can say some things for sure. You have a well-preserved and very original Mark II roadster (well, it was to begin with, before the coupe conversion). Proving Bardahl/Gurney history should not be difficult, yea or nay: just call him and ask him about the custom details. Did he drive it with pedals on the left? Did they scribble setup notes on the tub? What side did he have the dry sump tank on? Did he still use that non-adjustable front bar? All reports are that he's gracious and helpful to serious researchers like you.
On restoration, you've got the good news/bad news on owning a famous car. It's valuable; everyone wants to see it; there's a great story to tell, of its glorious history. Bad news? You're a caretaker, not true owner. You're a criminal if you do anything but a cost-no-object restoration to its exact state when it achieved fame. Forget painting it a color you prefer, using a Chevy not a Ford, modifying for the street. For a lot of people, that's like using a Picasso sculpture for a towel rack. Sorry, but this is the way it is. Anything not done with 100% historical accuracy and top quality not only reduces its value dramatically, but makes you the target of heavy criticism.
In fact, owning a car like this is a terrible burden, if you really think about it. However, I have a solution. When you realize that owning a true museum piece is a heavier responsibility than you are comfortable with, just one phone call to me will solve your problem.On short notice, I'd be happy to set out for Atlanta with a suitcase full of cash and the trailer I built for my other T70 . . .
Paul Wilson

Hi. My name is John Starkey and I've researched, written about, owned and raced three Lola T70s. Johan has found and bought SL71/34, Dan Gurney's 1966 Can Am Spyder. Although it's been fitted with a coupe body subsequently, there is no doubt that he's found the real thing.

Incidentally, there are probably about ten Lola T70s still waiting to be found out there. Get looking!

John Starkey

John!
Nice to have you post here!
Thanks for writing those great books about Lolas!

My entry was accepted for the Monterey Historics this year, Jim Hall will be the guest of Honor, should be a fun event.
David

Progress update:
I've now got the original bell housing/adapter to take a Hewland LG500 to a small block Ford. This is reputed to be the unit that came off this car, and was indeed purchased from a person that worked on the car in 1980(when it was not only converted to a coupe, but also to small block Chevy power). I feel quite lucky to have this piece. I also got (as a last resort) a set of Gurney Weslake heads, but they need repair(welding cracks). I'm looking for a better set. I also need a set of valve covers.
I also would like to have some of Chris Melia's GW valve covers that I might be able to use. Chris, if you are reading this, please let me buy some from you.
The fuel cell is being made.
I need shocks...David or Paul, what do you use ? Any part numbers? The car has an ancient set of Konis I believe.
I have 2 original doors,a nose, and a right side of the body. I have a set of gold wheels with old used tires and a set of Gray wheels with un-used(but 25 year old ) Goodyear Blue Streak Sportscar specials. This is my last 20 days worth of progress. Thanks for the help with this project !
Johan

I sent my Koni's back to Koni to be rebuilt. Truesports used to be the dealer but that may have changed.
I have some old Armstrong shocks on the front with a 1965 date of manufacture!

Ron Earp

Admin
TrueChoice in OH still does them, I've had a few done recently. Not cheap, that is for sure, and you must make sure they do everything they are supposed to - sometimes they'll skimp, particularily with older shocks where pieces are not readily available. Koni, to my knowledge, will ship them to TrueChoice, at least that is what a couple of racers have experienced.

Ron

Ron

[ QUOTE ]
I also got (as a last resort) a set of Gurney Weslake heads, but they need repair(welding cracks). I'm looking for a better set. I also need a set of valve covers.
I also would like to have some of Chris Melia's GW valve covers that I might be able to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a gentleman who occasionally posted on this forum who bought Dan Gurney's stock of NEW Gurney/Weslake heads. I believe he resides in Maine. Do a little searching and you may find a NOS set of heads for your Lola.

Congratulations on a great find and a wonderful car. She appears to be in very good hands.

I have a NOS complete Gurney Weslake 289 weber carburetor, cylinder head set available. I bought this directly from the All American Racing shop when I had attended a SAAC national in Pasadena.

Thanks for all the help with the shocks. They are indeed konis and the rears look better than the front but they are all pretty old, I would say original equipment. I will get them rebuilt. Thanks.
On the heads, thanks for the lead Mark, and the kind words. I sat in the car last night making race car noises, so we'll see.
Aluminum GT40, of course I need what you have and am interested.
Please tell me more.....!

I was at Elkhart Lake for BRIC and was talking to a family friend who is a regulary at the track for many many years. The one story he told me was of his father driving into the paddock with Dan Gurney in their family car in what he thought was 1966 after stuffing a Lola .... same car??

Mike

Mike, my car only raced 6 known times with Gurney, the last being the Stardust Grand Prix(Can AM round 6).The car stuffed at RA was probably either in 1967 or the #36 car that he drove after the #30 car. I have the #30 car, which is not listed as having raced at RA.
Did you see the big group 6 wreck ?

Thanks for the info Johan. This friend is in his 50s now, and seeing Dan Gurney (his idol when he was a kid) in his family car made quite an impression to this day.

I saw the aftermath of the crash - not when it occurred. I spent most time at one side of turn 5 or the other. I was at the track near the pits only when my in-law was running his car(s) in Group 9. Nothing like standing next to the straight away when the V12 Ferrari engine went by at some 14k rpms....my ears are still bleeding.

There were at least 4 or 5 T70s at BRIC this week I think, I have pics of a couple...

Regards,
Mike

I couldn't stand it any longer and have started putting the car back together, even if just to see what is missing.

Attachments

• 62006-Lolagoingbacktogether008.jpg
    62006-Lolagoingbacktogether008.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 723
Engine is still out but at least I can roll it around now.

Attachments

• 62008-Lolagoingbacktogether001.jpg
    62008-Lolagoingbacktogether001.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 721
Back