The SLC headlight and/or tail light swap potential thread

Here's what the tail lights look like.
2016-05-15_05.jpg

There's a few more pictures on my build thread.
Post #139

A.J.

Okay, it's still very rough (I have to tweak a few lines,, smooth out a few things),, I primered it so I know what I need to work on (easy when everything is all one color.

To get the lines right,, you have to do some serious modifications to the front. I tried it once without reshaping the front, and it "worked" but it didn't look right, So I had to widen the front hump,, as well as make it a little taller.

I will say one thing,, I love epoxy,, I wish I would have started using it at the beginning.. It's SO much easier to work with, makes an incredibly strong bond,, long work time, easy to wet out, get all the air out,, and squeeze out the excess, and of course,, NO SMELL. It might have been overkill in a few places,, but I used fiberglass cloth in about 10 - 15 layers.

- Still need to fill the gap at the corner of the headlight as well

Figure when I get back from break I'll spend another 2 weeks or so getting it smoothed out and the lines straight,,,, then comes the challenging part...lol. Making the other side and more importantly,, making it symmetrical. I'm still researching the best way to go about doing it.

- The center "triangle" is urethane foam,, I'm going to trim it back about 3", as it overhangs the front more than I wanted.

3_Quarter_view_2_Celica.jpg
3_Quarter_view_Celica_Headlight.jpg
Celica_View_3.jpg

qieS6afQCmnbyLJu8

Last edited:
Here is a pic I did of it roughed in when I tried not to change the shape of the front. It "fit" but it just didn't look right (looked more like an afterthought).

image_20151128_182307.jpg

Michael Fling

Supporter
Okay, it's still very rough (I have to tweak a few lines,, smooth out a few things),, I primered it so I know what I need to work on (easy when everything is all one color.

To get the lines right,, you have to do some serious modifications to the front. I tried it once without reshaping the front, and it "worked" but it didn't look right, So I had to widen the front hump,, as well as make it a little taller.

I will say one thing,, I love epoxy,, I wish I would have started using it at the beginning.. It's SO much easier to work with, makes an incredibly strong bond,, long work time, easy to wet out, get all the air out,, and squeeze out the excess, and of course,, NO SMELL. It might have been overkill in a few places,, but I used fiberglass cloth in about 10 - 15 layers.

- Still need to fill the gap at the corner of the headlight as well

Figure when I get back from break I'll spend another 2 weeks or so getting it smoothed out and the lines straight,,,, then comes the challenging part...lol. Making the other side and more importantly,, making it symmetrical. I'm still researching the best way to go about doing it.

- The center "triangle" is urethane foam,, I'm going to trim it back about 3", as it overhangs the front more than I wanted.

3_Quarter_view_2_Celica.jpg
3_Quarter_view_Celica_Headlight.jpg
Celica_View_3.jpg

qieS6afQCmnbyLJu8

Beautifully done James!

Back