Tire suggestions

Thomas Hertzler

Lifetime Supporter
My chassis (#2228, Mk I) should get delivered in a matter of weeks now. The dealer called me because the tires that usually come with the car are unavailable. He suggests Cooper Cobra or Avon CR6ZZ as a replacement. I would appreciate everybody's opinion.

Best,

Thomas Hertzler

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Tom

Don't know about Coopers but, I have the Avons.

Heard nothing but good about them.

Tell us about your car.

Steve SPF P2125

Steve, have been thinking about ditching the BF Goodrichs on my CAV for the Avons - was wondering what dimensions you're using fore and aft?? Thanks in advance.

The Cooper Cobras are ok for street use but remember they are S rated which mean reduced top speed.I just bought Avons and they look very good.Didn't have already the chance to try them on the track.Emiel

Thomas Hertzler

Lifetime Supporter
Thomas,
I was wondering, what size are your tires? Thank you
Laurent (SPF 2198)

Don't know - whatever comes standard from SPF.

I guess Avons it will be. I use them in Forza Motorsport 2 all the time ;)

Does an extra $1100 for a set sound excessive? I don't know how much SPF allocates for a set of "regular" tires.

Thomas
SPF #2228

Thomas,

Have you considered 17's?

Attachments

• GT40-1.jpg
    GT40-1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 739

Thomas Hertzler

Lifetime Supporter
Thomas,

Have you considered 17's?

That's too late now. Chassis should be here in a matter of days.

Love your car. I have seen a MkII in Gulf trim in Forza 2. I wonder how the real car dynamics compare to the simulated one. The sim car is very hard to drive. I see a new thread coming on...

N-I-C-E. Classic livery, if there ever was any.

Is it my imagination or does your car sit lower than the GT40's that Ford ran at Le Mans. (I believe the ACO, at the time, required all cars to drive over a and clear a small wood box or block as part of the qualification requirements. I don't think your car would make it.)

Alan, you're right, it does sit a bit lower due to the 17" wheels and lower profile tires. They're Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 size 315/35/17 and 215/45/17. I lost about an inch of ground clearance. The stock 15" tires are about 26.6" diameter, and the F1's are 25.7" rear 24.6" front. The advantages are availability, Z speed rating, and apparently exceptional wet grip that I hope never to experience. Driving feel is much improved with the 17's versus 15's. The steering feels tighter and more connected and the ride quality isn't diminished. If you're not constantly monitoring road surfaces, whether you're driving 15's or 17's, the road debris is going to get you.

Attachments

• IMGP1433a.jpg
    IMGP1433a.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 501
  • IMGP1432.jpg
    IMGP1432.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 506
  • Ground Clearance.jpg
    Ground Clearance.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 547
  • GT40-2.jpg
    GT40-2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 565
Hi Kevin,

"Is 215/45/17 wide enough for the front ????"

My first answer was..no, not unless you want to have some semblance of a turning radius...but realistically, I guess it all depends on your model of GT40.

I tried the 235/45/17's first and they scrubbed the well, but ending up with the 215's only lost 0.8" of tread width (7.9" vs 7.1" or 10%), of course, the 15" Goodrich tires are somewhere closer to 9". I also want to be able to find tires for the car in a few years, and with everything going to 18's and 19's and more, I thought that it might soon be difficult. Also, the S speed rating (112mph) bothered me a little bit....and I thought it maintained the classic GT40 look with a contemporary slant.

Here's mine with 15's:

Attachments

• IMGP1410a.jpg
    IMGP1410a.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 520
Thomas: I took Dennis Olthoff's suggestion and installed the Avon CR6ZZ 215/70R15s and 295/50R15s on my ERA GT. I was a little apprehensive because I replaced 245s that were on the front with the narrower tire. I found out quickly that they work very well . . . no push when pulling max g. Very pleased with tires. They are expensive, but I only cried once. As for being too narrow, they work very well considering the light front-end weight of the GT40. After all, they are racing tires, but DOT approved.

1_IMG_5540Crop.JPG

Kevin Box

Supporter
Hi LITUMUP

Thanks for you info

I am building a GT40NZ kit and looking at the same rears as you but thinking of 235/40s for the front.

I have been running GSD3s on my work car for a few years now and extremmely satisfied with their performance.
I have a tweaked Ford Falcon Station wagon running a 347. The tyres I have on it are 255/40/17 an they sure grip well.

I have built up the GT40NZ with 330mm brakes all round so have to go 17s to get over the calipers. I figured that the tyre technology was in 17s or above anyway.

Did you change spring rates or shock settings when you went from 15s to 17s ???

Purists would say the 17s don't look right but there sure is nothing wrong with the way yours looks.

Howard Jones

Supporter
My GTD has as follows; F 245.40.17 on 8X17 R 315.35.17 on 10X17. Biggest possible tire combo on a standard MK1 body.

My tires are Sumitomo's HTR-Z's. These are Z rated with a soft 160 UTQG number. I have run them on track once and they are as least as good as the SP8000 Dunlops I had on the car the last time. All in all a "good" street and track tire for a guy who only has one set of wheels, isn't tring to be the fastest guy on the track, and is living with a tight buget.

Prices on Tire Rack are $68 front and $99 rear. Hard to beat for less than 400 bucks for a set !

Attachments

• su_htr_z_ci2_l.jpg
    su_htr_z_ci2_l.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Back